Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer book of the year

• 20-12-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Since I talk, some might say incessantly, about the soccer books that I read and since we are at the end of the year I thought this would be an interesting topic.

It's an interesting one because I really do believe that more and more the quality of books in this genre being printed in English are growing in quality all of the time and there's been some cracking books released this year.

I think it's also fun to perhaps share some of the different books we've all read and could prove useful if you're looking to get someone a stocking filler.

So any picks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Some recommendations form yesterdays Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/lastminute-presents-for-people-you-dont-really-like-35303951.html

'Jose Mourinho - Up Close And Personal' by Robert Beasley

This new release will offer some light reading for the football fan in the Kris Kindle, and is recommended if you don't like them. It falls short of what it says on the tin. Former Sun reporter Beasley has penned what is described as a 'gripping biography' of Mourinho that largely homes in on their own relationship.
    This details texts and emails between the pair and highlights the role that Beasley tried to play in various matters, including a push to get the 'Special One' appointed as England boss.
    Occasionally, it reads like Beasley's autobiography, a tale of unrequited friendship.
    "I told Jose that fellow journalist Paul Smith and I were heading to a famous Malibu restaurant," writes Beasley of a Chelsea pre-season trip to Los Angeles. "He said he loved the idea of a night out with us so I rang and amended the reservation from two to three. Jose didn't make it."
    A description of the night out follows regardless and we are told that Mourinho would have thoroughly enjoyed it. The final interaction between the pair detailed in the tome is an email to Mourinho's Chelsea address that bounces back to the author. The reader is left wondering if the humour is intentional.

'Sweeper' by Steve Bruce

This could be hard to track down as it was selling for £250 on eBay in October. In the late 1990s, Bruce reached the end of his playing days and took his baby steps into management while using his spare time to pen a trio of murder mystery novels.
    Sweeper is part of a series that also includes Striker and Defender and they chronicle the exploits of main character Steve Barnes who was in charge of a team named Leddersford Town (Bruce was managing Huddersfield Town) at the time.
    A splendid review on the Setpieces website summarised his work as a "warren of intrigue featuring Yugoslavian warlords, lesbian prostitutes, Nazi-hunting spies and much, much more besides". A must-have.

Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent
    19/12/2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't read it yet but his cartoons in the Guardian are hilarious:

cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I've read those reviews of the Steve Bruce books, they're fantastic, I was crying reading them.

loyatemu wrote: »
    haven't read it yet but his cartoons in the Guardian are hilarious:

cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png

Thought he came across really well on a recent Second Captains podcast, given that he lives in Australia (I think, that or New Zealand) it's interesting how he keeps up with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thought he came across really well on a recent Second Captains podcast, given that he lives in Australia (I think, that or New Zealand) it's interesting how he keeps up with football.

even his cartoons about the Aussie league are funny and I know nothing about Australian soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

loyatemu wrote: »
    even his cartoons about the Aussie league are funny and I know nothing about Australian soccer.

The odd time his references can be a bit obscure but more or less his weekly drawing for The Guardian is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

51aeAMT4OzL._SY346_.jpg

Getting this for Xmas, heard good things

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anyone here read Cruyff My Turn?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anyone here read Cruyff My Turn?

Yes, I thought it was the rantings of a bitter old man. Ajax Barcelona Cruyff was much better.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've read those reviews of the Steve Bruce books, they're fantastic, I was crying reading them.

Guardian Football weekly did a few readings from them a few months back. Legendary stuff!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

51aeAMT4OzL._SY346_.jpg

Getting this for Xmas, heard good things
    It's excellent.

I would also recommend "Angel's with Dirty Faces".It's a history of Argentian football by Jonathan Wilson,brilliant book.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Dirty-Faces-Footballing-Argentina/dp/1409144437

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Are we recommending soccer books released during 2016 or at any time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RayCon wrote: »
    Are we recommending soccer books released during 2016 or at any time ?

I presume it just 2016.

Another book I read this year was Das Reboot by Rafael Hognigstein. About the steps German football took to get back to the top .An interesting read.

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's excellent.

I would also recommend "Angel's with Dirty Faces".It's a history of Argentian football by Jonathan Wilson,brilliant book.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Dirty-Faces-Footballing-Argentina/dp/1409144437

When I started this thread I was in the middle of reading "Angles with Dirty Faces", Jonathan Wilson is my favorite sports writer and his work on the history of Argentinian football is inspired. It's a massive subject to cover but the amount of information he packs in, the crazy degree of research, and his natural ability to tell a story is remarkable. That, and Marti Peranau's "Pep Guardiola: The Evolution" would be my 2 choices. Though the shout out for Honigstein's "Das Reboot" is absolutely worthy of a mention.

Advertisement