Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effect of claim on premium

Options
  • 20-12-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a small crash in 2010 on as a names driver on my farther's policy,

The claim only went through this week as the claim was a suspected fraudulent claim and was settled on steps of the court.

The letter we received saying total costs to fbd was 42 thousand and that this will affect the renewal premium.

This letter was addressed to my father with no reference to me being the driver, will both of our premiums go up as I have my own policy now or is it just his,

I would be happy to take the brunt of it but not happy for both of us to be penalized

Does anyone know much about this situation?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

As it was on your dads policy, only his policy will be impacted.

The only way it could be done through your own policy would be if you had a policy at the time of the accident and it went through your driving of other cars extension.

Did you have a live policy in your own name at the time of the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Rod Munch wrote: »
    As it was on your dads policy, only his policy will be impacted.

The only way it could be done through your own policy would be if you had a policy at the time of the accident and it went through your driving of other cars extension.

Did you have a live policy in your own name at the time of the accident?

No I didnt have any other policy at the time,

But let say last year when I had the claim pending other companies would not quote me?

So If an insurance company ask me have I any previous claims can I say no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

roosky wrote: »
    No I didnt have any other policy at the time,

But let say last year when I had the claim pending other companies would not quote me?

So If an insurance company ask me have I any previous claims can I say no ?

The claim was more than 5 years ago.

If you are asked have you had any claims in the last 5 years you can answer no.

It is the incident date that insurers want to know about, not the date the claim was settled.

Thanks a lot for info,

So realistically neither he nor I have had a claim in last 5 years, they way FBD were talking it was to do with when the case was setteled

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks a lot for info,

So realistically neither he nor I have had a claim in last 5 years, they way FBD were talking it was to do with when the case was setteled

If fbd are the insurer who settled the claim they will have a record of it and it will probably affect renewal quotes from them

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    If fbd are the insurer who settled the claim they will have a record of it and it will probably affect renewal quotes from them

True so if I am going to aviva for example I am within my rights to say I have no claim in the last 5 years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

True so if I am going to aviva for example I am within my rights to say I have no claim in the last 5 years?

If they specify five years yes. If they ask have you ever had a claim then youd have to declare it

Advertisement