Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair cuts services from Shannon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Old news, was announced about 6 months ago. Of far better news is Lufthansa and SAS adding services. I'd rather see the airport do without a service to Memmingen for the sake of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose use it or lose it comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

They've closed the Shannon to Beauvais route before. I'm sure it'll make a comeback (again) in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This goes on all the time, they open and close routes at different times depending on demand/profitability. Shannon Airport should never become overly dependant on one airline carrier anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Shannon airport is a pain. London or Lanzarote seems to be about the extent of it now. I'm going over to a friend in Edinburgh in the new year and have to go from Dublin 😈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Shannon airport is a pain. London or Lanzarote seems to be about the extent of it now. I'm going over to a friend in Edinburgh in the new year and have to go from Dublin 😈

There is a six times per week Shannon-Edinburgh service with Aer Lingus regional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Berlin, Krakow and Warsaw are excellent destinations, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Careful, you'll enrage the Shannon fan boys over on the Clare forum with that sort of comment..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

about the memmingen flight, it REALLY is a case of use it or loose it.
    During the munich Oktoberfest, when flights on all routes to Munich or Memmingen are inflated whether from Europe or trans atlantic, but SNN - Memmingen was still stupidly cheap, indicating nobody using the flights from the mid west, even though they were at ok times for a long weekend at the Oktoberfest.

When I saw that it was fairly obvious that the flight would get the chop, as if you cant remotely attract people to fly for the Oktoberfest then you may as well give up, which they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

lockman wrote: »

There is a six times per week Shannon-Edinburgh service with Aer Lingus regional.

Not at the time I'd booked it unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

I have to disagree as a Galway man. Shannon is a pleasure, pre-clearance to America included, and only an hour down the road. I've personally never queued for an unreasonable time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Shannon airport is a pain.

I travel a lot and can't disagree more, Shannon is a pretty decent airport in comparison to a lot of other countries (or counties).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Shannon is great.Simplr basic does the job
    Dublin airpoet like a shopping mall mixed with airport head wrecking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I travel a lot and can't disagree more, Shannon is a pretty decent airport in comparison to a lot of other countries (or counties).
    Being childless I like to get away with my better half as much as we can while we can and we regularly just open the Ryanair app and choose where to go next by what's available out of Shannon. Love having it on my doorstep.

Shannon is great. One of the downsides is getting to and from there though. The public transport to and from there is poor, the taxi journey is very expensive and if you choose to park there it can be expensive too.

Otherwise, it's hard to fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bigpink wrote: »
    Shannon is great.Simplr basic does the job
    Dublin airpoet like a shopping mall mixed with airport head wrecking

Agreed, I'll always pick the smaller airport given the choice. But Shannon very rarely have destinations that are of interest to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    Shannon is great. One of the downsides is getting to and from there though. The public transport to and from there is poor, the taxi journey is very expensive and if you choose to park there it can be expensive too.

You can pretty much say the same about Dublin and Cork.

You can pretty much say the same about Dublin and Cork.

Dublin has better public transport links than Shannon, and understandably so. From the city centre there's a regular (and very cheap) bus service, and a number of regular, private bus services (which are more comfortable and quicker but more expensive). There's also a number of regular bus services from around Ireland direct to Dublin airport.

Cork isn't any better than Shannon, I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'm suprised the Dublin coach that you can get at the back of Arthur's Quay doesn't service Shannon Airport because they run a bus from Ennis on the hour every hour and even stop off at Bunratty before picking up at Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I find Shannon very handy because a lot of the time I'm able to either get a lift out to the airport or I park my car in the longterm and get a family member to come out and collect my car the next day so I only have to pay for 1 days parking.

The days flights go never seems to suit me though so I usually get caught having to fly from Dublin sadly.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I find Shannon very handy because a lot of the time I'm able to either get a lift out to the airport or I park my car in the longterm and get a family member to come out and collect my car the next day so I only have to pay for 1 days parking.

The days flights go never seems to suit me though so I usually get caught having to fly from Dublin sadly.

I often find that it's as easy and cheaper to fly from Shannon to one of the London airports and get a connecting flight from there on to wherever I'm going. Flights out of Dublin airport tend to be expensive and then there's the hassle and expense of going there and parking too. Admittedly, the Dublin coach and Eireagle bus services have taken a lot of the pain and expense out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I hate travelling to Dublin if I want to fly out of the country. Shannon is very convenient for short trips over to the UK and some European destinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »

Anytime we use Shannon we get friends or family to drop & collect us. We return the favour when required.

Advertisement