Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The big radio stories of 2016 and your predictions for 2017

• 20-12-2016 9:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Mod: Editing in a list of the biggest stories, will hopefully keep this updated throughout the year.

January
    • Dermot and Dave took over Today FM's 9-12pm slot.
    • Al Porter was unveiled as Dermot and Dave's replacement on the 12-2:30pm slot.
    • Becki Miller departed Spin 1038

/Mod

I'd say the biggest Irish radio story was the huge revamp of the Newstalk schedule.

Prediction? We'll see CHR radio figures from youth radio fall further off a cliff as the under 25s move further and further away from radio.

Yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ivan Yates will return to Newstalk in 2017.

*Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

One of the other big stories was the closure of Dublin's TXFM last October when it did not renew its 10-year license last March. TXFM started life as the pirate Phantom (all those years ago), which eventually won the competition for the Alternative Rick license. The name change happened in March 2014 - the last throw of the dice for a station that always struggled in the listenership polls.

A related big radio story was the shakeup in Today FM's weekend schedule last summer. This coincided with the scrapping of most of the evening schedule on TXFM, which by now was connected to Today FM. It was an opportunity to get rid of presenters not only in TXFM but also Today FM (Declan Meehan, Jim O'Neill) and move a few over to Today FM from TX.

Another radio story worth a mention is Radio Nova securing the services of John Clarke, former Head of 2FM and best known in recent years for presenting Ireland's Biggest Jukebox.

My predictions for 2017? I hesitate on this one because some of my predictions for 2016 went seriously awry this year!

That said, I'm still predicting that Jack Hyland will be a more regular presenter on Radio Nova. I also predict that Colm Hayes will crop up a bit more on Radio Nova, having started to stand in for his old mate John Clarke. Another prediction is that Kelly-Anne Byrne will be used even more on Today FM, possibly standing in for someone, along with the the two programs she already has. Finally, George Hook will retire from Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More of a demolition than a revamp

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No mention of Today FM losing Anton?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Red Hot

There is now hullaballoo! :) The point of the thread is that people add suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Predictions for 2017 = Dan Healy to leave 2fm, 4fm to close, RTE LW to close, The last word to end on it's 20th birthday, Gareth O Callaghan to get new show on David Ickes internet radio station.

I think Dan is safe for another 2-3 years and even then they'll just move him to another department. To get fired in RTE you need to set fire to someone at their desk with witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Predictions for 2017 =The last word to end on it's 20th birthday

I sincerely hope not! It's one of the best current affairs programs on Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Red Hot wrote: »
    To get fired in RTE you need to set fire to someone at their desk with witnesses.

Didn't do Wogan's career any harm...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Not a prediction, more wishful thinking - Eoghan McDermot loses his evening slot on 2fm. My god he irritates me so much. I like listening to music on way home as it keeps me awake but I've found myself switching over to Today FM more often lately.

• Advertisement

McDermot is "New 2FM" personified and everything that is wrong with 2FM in 2016 summed up in one show. Terrible "cool stuff dude! Ya know?" sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

I can see FM104 dropping some more listeners, i was out of the country for a few weeks recently, came back and had it on in the car one afternoon, its the same music that's been on for 4 years, how popular is Lorde and Mumford and Sons, and even then, it's the same songs from those artists. The whole sound of the station has dropped off in the last year maybe, another gripe would be the entertainment segments wedged into the day, they don't fit the station at all. I think it will drop some listeners across the day but i guess the lack of competition means it will remain number one. 98FM seem to making some headway but breakfast is still miles behind The Strawberry Alarm clock and then then they go into a talk show rather than more music.

Edit: Literally wrote that and seen this then http://radiotoday.ie/2016/12/denzil-lacey-swaps-2fm-production-for-fm104/

Newstalk will see the effects of those schedule changes made a few months ago by next christmas, but they will stand by them regardless of the figures you imagine. I noticed Hook's new show is actually the exact same as his old one without the serious stuff, same contributors.Today FM is going to change up somewhat because Anton has left, so the Ray Foley hype is in over drive, whether he is the right fit or not would still be interesting to hear him back there.

Hopefully no other stations go under, I know 4fm seem to struggle but they seem to have listeners across the country, Sunshine has some and Q102 always fluctuate wildly in terms of listeners,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Tubridy and D'Arcy to be poached by the BBC.

*kneels down and starts saying prayers*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

RTE fees, when released, will demonstrate that both Darcy and Duffy are well north of €500k per annum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think the rumblings at Today FM, starting with poor enough JNLR books, progressing to the FN80's decision and culminating in Anton leaving/being sacked would certainly be the most intriguing story of the year for me. Ray Foley's comments on his podcast yesterday added another wrinkle to the story, and all-in-all it doesn't really paint the situation in the station in a good light right now. With "big changes" forecast for 2017, it'll be really interesting to follow this into the new year.

That said, I'm sure there are stories from earlier in the year that I'm forgetting. I mean, to be honest, it feels like TX closed ages ago and it was only 2 months ago! :eek:

Predictions:
    - I think Breakfast Republic and Game On will depart from 2FM unless their listenership increases in the January book. I'd put Eoghan McDermott, Chris and Ciara and Ray Foley in the running for the gig on Breakfast.

- Ray D'Arcy's listenership will continue to grow, and I think he'll eclipse his highest ever figures on Today FM by hitting 230,000 before the year's out.

- I'd like to see Muireann O'Connell get a full time gig somewhere, and I think Today FM might be a good shout.

- NewsTalk drive to lose listeners. NewsTalk Breakfast to lose listeners. Pat Kenny to not make any significant losses or gains. Hook to defy logic and make gains and retire next summer/autumn to be replaced by Ivan Yates.

Wildcards:
    - 4FM to close, or at very least be sold / relaunched.
    - Ray Foley to get a national weekday slot.
    - Ian Dempsey to be moved to another slot on the station, potentially a straight swap with Dermot and Dave.

Interesting to note that more than one poster here feels that 4FM will close. Their transmitter costs must be enourmous.

Have there been industry rumours that the station could be no more soon?

Interesting to note that more than one poster here feels that 4FM will close. Their transmitter costs must be enourmous.

Have there been industry rumours that the station could be no more soon?

Yes, look at the state of their accounts https://www.duedil.com/company/IE439209/choice-broadcasting-limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I would think new owners when the next set of accounts come out . They do a good job in that area and with an ageing population ratings will rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

castle2012 wrote: »
    I would think new owners when the next set of accounts come out . They do a good job in that area and with an ageing population ratings will rise

The current owners are substantially owned by the major shareholders of two other stations. So that could mean those stations are also in trouble, or if they are making money the could subsidise 4FM.

Bay Broadcasting Ltd
    Bay Broadcasting Ltd is Irish-owned radio investment company. Founded in 2007, the company is one of the founding shareholders in Radio Nova. It is also holds substantial shareholding in Choice Broadcasting Ltd, operator of multi-city Classic Hits 4FM and in Star Broadcasting Ltd, operator of Sunshine 106.8, Dublin. The shareholders of Bay Broadcasting are Kevin Branigan, Mike Ormonde and Tom Anderson.

• Advertisement

Not really sure what any of that means but there's a few minus's in there, be a real shame to see another station go under.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think the rumblings at Today FM, starting with poor enough JNLR books, progressing to the FN80's decision and culminating in Anton leaving/being sacked would certainly be the most intriguing story of the year for me. Ray Foley's comments on his podcast yesterday added another wrinkle to the story, and all-in-all it doesn't really paint the situation in the station in a good light right now. With "big changes" forecast for 2017, it'll be really interesting to follow this into the new year.

That said, I'm sure there are stories from earlier in the year that I'm forgetting. I mean, to be honest, it feels like TX closed ages ago and it was only 2 months ago! :eek:

Predictions:
    - I think Breakfast Republic and Game On will depart from 2FM unless their listenership increases in the January book. I'd put Eoghan McDermott, Chris and Ciara and Ray Foley in the running for the gig on Breakfast.

- Ray D'Arcy's listenership will continue to grow, and I think he'll eclipse his highest ever figures on Today FM by hitting 230,000 before the year's out.

- I'd like to see Muireann O'Connell get a full time gig somewhere, and I think Today FM might be a good shout.

- NewsTalk drive to lose listeners. NewsTalk Breakfast to lose listeners. Pat Kenny to not make any significant losses or gains. Hook to defy logic and make gains and retire next summer/autumn to be replaced by Ivan Yates.

Wildcards:
    - 4FM to close, or at very least be sold / relaunched.
    - Ray Foley to get a national weekday slot.
    - Ian Dempsey to be moved to another slot on the station, potentially a straight swap with Dermot and Dave.

I don't think Dermot and Dave would have any interest in breakfast radio again, they have lots going on outside of the station now, and they wouldn't suit that breakfast show. More likely to see Dempsey doing something in place of the last word if its going that way.

KReid wrote: »
    Not really sure what any of that means but there's a few minus's in there, be a real shame to see another station go under.

It means 4FM are over 10 million Sterling pounds in debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

It means 4FM are over 10 million Sterling pounds in debt.

Sterling? What's that in real money?

farmerjj wrote: »
    Sterling? What's that in real money?

Six quid and a bag of Skittles according to the latest exchange rate I think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not a prediction but there is a high possibility of one Dublin station getting in a new breakfast show in the new year and two new PD's on the way as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Marty Miller, Greg Gaughran and Pat Courtney get the sack from Nova and are replaced by Cathal Funge, Claire Beck and Joe Donnelly.

More wishful thinking than a prediction. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Marian F to do 8 shows in a row during the month of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I think radio listenership will continue to fall within younger listeners. 2fm will continue to lose as will today Fm. Lyric to grow and newstalk to reconfigure breakfast again after they get rid of Williams etc

Not a prediction but there is a high possibility of one Dublin station getting in a new breakfast show in the new year and two new PD's on the way as well.

And if the rumours are true then one of these two new PDs will also anchor that new breakfast show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

And if the rumours are true then one of these two new PDs will also anchor that new breakfast show.

Haven't seen any rumours as such, care to give us a hint?

Colm Hayes to take over nova breakfast and pd job is the story going around

And these people being who and for what station?

And these people being who and for what station?

It has been mentioned already above. Colm Hayes to be the new PD and breakfast show host on Radio Nova is the rumour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joe Duffy to resign and move to BBC Radio Norfolk.

It has been mentioned already above. Colm Hayes to be the new PD and breakfast show host on Radio Nova is the rumour.

But it said two new PD's for Dublin stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Colm's been on Nova this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Colm's been on Nova this morning.

Sitting in for Greg....as suspected Colm Hayes will be making more appearances on Nova.

As an aside Nova are looking for a wider national audience alas the BAI would almost certainly block a straight frequency switch between Nova and 4FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Infoanon wrote: »
    Sitting in for Greg....as suspected Colm Hayes will be making more appearances on Nova.

As an aside Nova are looking for a wider national audience alas the BAI would almost certainly block a straight frequency switch between Nova and 4FM

i would hope so. the licence is for a particular format and the BAI have an obligation as far as i'm concerned to enforce that requirement. i believe they have allowed some concessions all ready but that must be enough. if the format can't work that's unfortunate but allowing a straight swap with another format would not be a fair outcome. an open competition for that licence, whether it be for the same format or a new one is the fairist and only just way.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Infoanon wrote: »
    alas the BAI would almost certainly block a straight frequency switch between Nova and 4FM

It's well known by some that Brannagan has been begging the bai to allow a Nova/4fm merger for about 5 years now. 4fm is so dumbed down now from wphat the station was meant to be that I wouldn't have a major problem with it

It's well known by some that Brannagan has been begging the bai to allow a Nova/4fm merger for about 5 years now. 4fm is so dumbed down now from wphat the station was meant to be that I wouldn't have a major problem with it

As in they become one station and relinquish the other license? Or keep that license and don't use it? I think Nova serves a purpose so id like to see it given a run nationwide in some capacity, I suspect 4FM does a similar job to local stations in the areas it broadcasts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As in they become one station and relinquish the other license?

yes. however, in that situation it would be nova's programing that would be operated on the frequencies, with anything to do with 4fm gone. it is very unlikely to happen though, as they are 2 very different licences.
    Or keep that license and don't use it?

i should imagine that would be against competition rules.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

2017 will be an interesting year for radio in general. Many of the big ad agencies are spending less and less with stations and more and more online. We might see radio stations having to cut their rates dramatically to counter this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

More Tea wrote: »
    2017 will be an interesting year for radio in general. Many of the big ad agencies are spending less and less with stations and more and more online. We might see radio stations having to cut their rates dramatically to counter this.

Radio stations are also online so they get cut that revenue also.

Yes but their websites dont get hits in the same numbers as something like entertainment.ie.

Entertainment type sites aside, I meant that ad spend will lean much more towards the likes of Google and Facebook Ads than radio in 2017. Put it this way, if you owned a new company with an ad budget of 10 grand for this year would you put a single cent into radio given the ROI you'll get?

Because I know I wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I worked in advertising sales a number of years back. One company in particular were a family run business for nearly 40 years. First thing I said at the interview was that they needed online presence as they were magazine only. MD agreed and said they were working on it.

Fast forward two years and still no sign of online presence. I was dealing with marketing / brand managers for my business, many of which were relatively young. 95% of their budget was for online / social media and I was looking for €2k for a single page of one-off advertising.

It became an impossible task and I eventually left. The company went under months later with the loss of I think 16 jobs, the most senior of which were the family.

Social media / online advertising has only increased since then so I can only assume all radio stations are struggling getting revenue in now. Irish radio is basically fvcked if the BAI don't change their tune and make it easier to run business.

Another prediction.

Ray Foley will finally return to full time radio in 2017.

Communicorp are advertising for a new PD this week I see. It doesnt say which of their stations it's for.

More Tea wrote: »
    Communicorp are advertising for a new PD this week I see. It doesnt say which of their stations it's for.

If it's the same advert I saw, it's a Senior PD for the national stations.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Didn't know where to put this, but I've heard a rumour Spin are losing a well-known presenter.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Didn't know where to put this, but I've heard a rumour Spin are losing a well-known presenter.

Steve k moving to today fm????

• Advertisement
Advertisement