Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference in 3 core wire

Options
  • 21-12-2016 12:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

My borther who is an electrician will be around for Christmas. I am getting him to make a longer cord for the washing machine as its currently too short as its a new one to reach the wall. He said to get 3 core wire.

I got some today put the each core seems to be made of light steel/metal/wire and not the light bendy stuff I have seen in 3 pin plugs before. Did I get the wrong stuff? Don't want to ring him as its good enough to get him to do the job when he is visiting in the first place.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you serious or have you been at the Christmas sherry early? :D

What spec wire did you get? Please, even a hint wound help!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Did I get the wrong stuff?

Yes.

I would rather install a socket closer to the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Because of the heating element, a washing machine draws significant current so it is important to use the correct grade! I would suggest a minimum of 3 x 1.5mm flex (or even 3 x 2.5mm) like this:
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/round-flexible-cable-3183y-3-core-1-5mm-x-50m-white.html

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

I have a question, 1.5mm to supply a washing machine... or socket :cool:. is that sufficient?

mickward wrote: »
    I have a question, 1.5mm to supply a washing machine... or socket :cool:. is that sufficient?

I believe that 1.5mm flex is rated to 15amp so would be sufficient for a washing machine. Personally I would use 2.5mm. 1.5mm would not be correct for wiring a socket - 2.5mm is required I'm pretty certain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2.5mm squared flex is completely inappropriate as it is forbidden by the BS1363 and IS401 standards for the plugs.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    2.5mm squared flex is completely inappropriate as it is forbidden by the BS1363 and IS401 standards for the plugs.

I don't think anyone suggested "Squared" flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

You will have a 13 amp fuse in the plug top also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

C3PO wrote: »
    I don't think anyone suggested "Squared" flex?

The "squared" referred to the size of the cable not the shape as in 2.5mm² or 1.5mm². You really have no business commenting here if you don't know that.

OP if it is possible try to get your brother to supply the material for the job as it will ensure the correct materials are used and the job is done correctly. He may also be able to get it cheaper than you would. If needs be send him a picture of the washing machine location and he may be able to advise you what the best option would be.

aido79 wrote: »
    The "squared" referred to the size of the cable not the shape as in 2.5mm² or 1.5mm². You really have no business commenting here if you don't know that.

OP if it is possible try to get your brother to supply the material for the job as it will ensure the correct materials are used and the job is done correctly. He may also be able to get it cheaper than you would. If needs be send him a picture of the washing machine location and he may be able to advise you what the best option would be.

I'm actually a qualified electrician and I've never heard that expression and nor have a number of guys her on site with me!

I would be grateful if you could show me in the regs where the use of a suitable 3 core flex is forbidden for wiring a washing machine into a 13amp plug top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'm actually a qualified electrician and I've never heard that expression and nor have a number of guys her on site with me!

You know well that the word is square.
    I would be grateful if you could show me in the regs where the use of a suitable 3 core flex is forbidden for wiring a washing machine into a 13amp plug top?

Here you are simply being selective in misquoting the earlier post which referred specifically to 2.5 cable

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You have never heard the expression 2.5mm² or 1.5mm² before? What did you think the 1.5 and 2.5 referred to?

I never said anything about the use of a suitable 3 core flex being forbidden for wiring a washing machine into a 13amp plug top and I think it would be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Risteard81 is correct in saying 1.5mm^2 is the max for a 13 amp plug top as a rule in the uk. Have you a link to the Irish one for my own bit of research might see other stuff.

I hate when people say "mill" regarding cable size..

Example that scoket circuit needs to be a 4 mill cable... bah I'm one odd ballðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Risteard81 is correct in saying 1.5mm^2 is the max for a 13 amp plug top as a rule in the uk. Have you a link to the Irish one for my own bit of research might see other stuff.
    I don't have a copy of I.S. 401 but my understanding is that it essentially replicates the relevant part of BS 1363. Many plugtops purchased are embossed with dual standards (BS 1363 & IS 401) like the Maxim Lamps ones I have sitting in the van so it is hard to see how the Irish Standard could permit a cable exceeding 1.5mm^2.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Advertisement