Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 6700k retail version?

Options
  • 21-12-2016 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

does anyone have a link to the retail version of this processor?
    I was looking up online and read some posts that claim the OEM version is only a 1 year warranty as opposed to 3 years.

I'm trying to make sure I get the 3 year warranty just incase, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm pretty sure that OEM = Tray Version and Retail = boxed, but Skylake overclockers don't have a boxed version.

CPUs are notoriously hardy and it's exceedingly rare for one to just die within years and years of use, I don't think the warranty on one should be a factor, you're much more likely to break it than it is to just fail

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Craic Addict

Thanks, that's put my mind at ease. this will be my first build so I wanna get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Had a look, if the picture is a blue box with an i7 on the front then it should be retail, if a plastic tray then OEM.

You'll need a cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Hi all,

does anyone have a link to the retail version of this processor?
    I was looking up online and read some posts that claim the OEM version is only a 1 year warranty as opposed to 3 years.

I'm trying to make sure I get the 3 year warranty just incase, thanks

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90613429/intel-core-i7-6700k-box.asp

You're right about the warranties. As said - extremely rare to fail - think I had a 939 AMD once.

Thanks, there doesnt seem to be a great deal of difference in buying from the UK or Germany anymore price wise with the parts I chose.

Do Pc components go down in price after Christmas usually?
    Just wondering if It's worth hanging on before ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Usually not many massive deals on PC components tbh. Worth keeping an eye on overclockers.co.uk, scan and amazon for some deals though

Thanks lads, I've got the components picked out now. Scan have the retail version I wanted to and reasonable post, I assume they are ok to buy from?

I was also wondering if anyone here has ever bought from Aria before?Sorry for the questions, it's just it took me a long time to get the money together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hjghj

Maybe you should consider waiting couple days more for Kaby Lake? Scheduled for release on the 5th of January - not a major update over Sky Lake but maybe the price will drop a little? Also, AMD Rayzen is launching in January - might force Intel to do some changes in the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks lads, I've got the components picked out now. Scan have the retail version I wanted to and reasonable post, I assume they are ok to buy from?

Scan are cool, haven't ever used Aria but there's a few threads about them on here if you do a search. Would echo waiting and seeing what Rayzen turns out like if you're doing a full build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never had a CPU die ever and reckon I have had about 11 in the last 20 years.

Everything else yes but never a CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Regardless of the warranty (guarantee) from the manufacturer, you've up to six years against the retailer. However +1 on CPUs, I'll easily go through 3 motherboards to a CPU it seems.

Advertisement