Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S7 Active

Options
  • 21-12-2016 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Been looking into upgrading my Z3 Compact which I bought just over 2 years ago for €419 and has already started giving me a lot of grief.

The most suitable phone I've found for my needs is the Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, but unfortunately it appears to be available from AT&T in the US only (exclusive deal with them and Samsung :() and is $795 off contract :eek::eek:

The thought of spending so much on a phone to me is ridiculous, but if it's going to last me 4 years, then it'll be better value than buying one for €400 that will only last me 2.

I don't like upgrading phones, it's hassle for me and I don't like the disposable culture of upgrading a phone every 6 months or year for just a little extra speed and spec.

Therefore, I'm half considering to actually buy this as it seems to fit my needs well and should hopefully withstand the use I put it through for longer than your average phone.

If anyone has any advice on how I might get one to Ireland and in my hands at as cheap a price as possible after (or avoiding) import duties etc, please share! Also, will it work ok here? I remember something about the US and Europe having different bands for reception and signal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,331 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be sure that the bands on the US phone will work here, especially 4G.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks ESEL, I remember hearing something like that before. But how can I tell for certain? Is it in the phone spec, or is it something set by the carrier it's sold from or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You will find the specs here, I'd imagine they are set by Samsung.

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_active-8004.php

Yep, that's a great site, I'd already been comparing it to my Z3 Compact, but not sure what means what as to whether it can actually work here or not. This is the comparison, I'm guessing it's in the first few lines of spec under the Network heading:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6538&idPhone2=8004

I just saw this on another site:
    But before we jump into data plans and all that jazz, you need to make sure your phone will actually work in Europe. Some carriers in the US use a different wireless technology than what is used throughout all of Europe — which means that some US phones simply won’t work in Europe.

All of Europe uses a system called GSM (Global System for Mobiles) but two American carriers (Verizon and Sprint) use CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access). All the other major US carriers use GSM, so no worries there. Luckily, most new phones offered via Verizon and Sprint can now connect to both GSM and CDMA networks, so all hope is not lost. When it comes to iPhones, anything higher than an iPhone 4S will work perfectly fine in Europe. If you have an Android or Windows phone through Verizon and Sprint, be sure to check if it’s a “world phone” (i.e., it’s GSM compatible) — most modern phones should be fine.

Both appear to have the same GSM features, so I'm hoping that's all I need to know and it's ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,331 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check the bands the phone supports versus the bands your network here uses!

Not your ornery onager

Asked on the eir talk to forum and got linked to a very handy site that confirms it's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Cormie.

Did you ever get hold of the S7 Active you were after?

Yes, but look what I've just sent to the seller on eBay ;(
    Hi again,
    I received this item yesterday. Unfortunately, I believe it is one of the affected models mentioned on the slip of paper.

I have been on to Samsung via Facebook to check the manufacture date. Please see the conversation I had with a Samsung Rep below:

ME:
    Hey again,
    I took delivery of the s7 active today from the eBay seller and unfortunately, I see a slightly strange note that reads:

"Please be advised despite water resistant classification your device is not impervious to water damage in any situation. Since this samsung galaxy active phone was purchased thru carrier's secondary market at a discounted price it is not covered by any manufacturer, carrier or seller's warranty for water or physical damage. Galaxy s7 active phones. there is a possibility that some phones manufactured prior to July 2016 may not be fully watertight making them not waterproof as advertised, please do not test or use it in water or wet weather. Thank you.

So this kinda defeats the purpose of buying an s7 active in the first place 😮

Is there any way you can check the serial/imei for me to check the manufacturer date? I'd at least like to know it's watertight 🙂
    the number is 35*********** if there's any way you can check 🙂

SAMSUNG:
    Can you confirm the model code and serial number? We'll cross-reference them and see what comes up at our end for you. ^AS
    The serial number is the one that begins with an R. ^AS

ME:
    Hi again, thanks for your help. I'm not sure what you mean by model code, but I think it's G891A, the S7 Active.

The SN I believe is R*********

Thank you 🙂

SAMSUNG:
    16:14
    Thanks! It's coming up with a birthday of 01/05/2016 at our end. ^AS

ME:
    17:18
    Hi again, thanks a lot for that, that's terrible news, that means it was manufactured before the July date and is probably not fully watertight??

So I believe this is not of merchantable quality and not as advertised.

Please advise how to proceed to replace it with an unaffected model.

Regards

This is the official statement from Samsung: https://news.samsung.com/us/2016/07/15/official-statement-response-consumer-reports-gs7-active-water-resistance-test/

but even still it seems from the slip of paper, that they won't replace it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If you don't mind saying, what price did you pay for the S7 active. This phone is the top of my want list.

• Advertisement

Will work out at over €700 once I get the bill for import duties :eek:

More than I ever imagined I'd spend on a phone and the waterproof and general durability is a huge reason for it, so if it's not even waterproof and is one of the affected models, I'm not happy!

Waiting to hear back from the eBay seller!

Cormie

Can you confirm -- Does the S7 Active have the FM RDS radio loaded

This would be one of the main reasons I'd want one. Big omission on the S7 sold here

How can I check? Is it an app? I've actually got it powered off and away in its box until I hear back from the seller on the waterproof issue ;(

Yes pre loaded app. Same as on the S3 S4 and S5.

But don't worry about it. Maybe someone else will know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

betistuc wrote: »
    Cormie

Can you confirm -- Does the S7 Active have the FM RDS radio loaded

This would be one of the main reasons I'd want one. Big omission on the S7 sold here

What's the big deal about it? Could you not just download it?

Well I ended up testing this in water, posted the video here for anyone interested. The video description has links for the full story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6OoZvFsU44

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

That's a bummer - hopefully you get some redress

Advertisement