Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords, what have you decided to do about the new amendments?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

ED E wrote: »
    Reporting bias big time there. Students, mostly renting rooms not full places, on shorter terms are the least likely be by far to go to the RTB.

In fact students in purpose built rental accommodation are not covered by the RTA act. So they can't go to the RTB at all.

Ignoring my 'reporting bias'(as lets be honest most tenancies do not involve students and their tenancies are not involved in these stats in the first place). Do you not think it is amazing that 99.7% of all tenancies end without a deposit dispute?

BTW landlords want to avoid the new amendments should become institutional investors. You can slap up a few hundred student beds and not have to worry about non-paying tenant, as you don't have tenants. The students are licenses.

It is kinda mad when you think about it? A lot student accommodation is owned by Colleges, which are in turn owned by the state. The Government has decided that student accommodation should be exempt from RTA acts, which protects Colleges from non-paying individuals.

Is is funny to think when the Government is indirectly the landlord, likes to protects itself from non-paying tenants and gives itself freedom from rent control etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

In fact students in purpose built rental accommodation are not covered by the RTA act. So they can't go to the RTB at all.

Ignoring my 'reporting bias'(as lets be honest most tenancies do not involve students and their tenancies are not involved in these stats in the first place). Do you not think it is amazing that 99.7% of all tenancies end without a deposit dispute?

BTW landlords want to avoid the new amendments should become institutional investors. You can slap up a few hundred student beds and not have to worry about non-paying tenant, as you don't have tenants. The students are licenses.

It is kinda mad when you think about it? A lot student accommodation is owned by Colleges, which are in turn owned by the state. The Government has decided that student accommodation should be exempt from RTA acts, which protects Colleges from non-paying individuals.

Is is funny to think when the Government is indirectly the landlord, likes to protects itself from non-paying tenants and gives itself freedom from rent control etc?

Students are a distinct category or renters. they are invariably transient. Most are renting for a number of months at a time. Their requirements from their accommodation are different. It is sensible that laws designed for other categories of tenants such as families do not apply to students. A regime where users have to pay for the service they use is sensible. The
    Government is a landlord in council estate and other forms of official accommodation. The Government has a lot of bad debt in council estates and default on council mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

I have a question is the €90 still paid by the landlord still over 4 year or over 6 with the recent additional control?
    Typical long stayers in private accommodation and a couple of doggy landlords are the life line of the quango. A bad landlord is regarded as xxxx times worse than a bad tenant and is similar in media value.   
    Had lots of inquires recently for accommodation from several companies abroad looking for centrally located apartments for up to 1 year will be a trend if UK continues to do its own thing.
    Have got some foreign med staff on contracts recently so I am already a participant.
    While there is a need to protect the vulnerable on both sides it should be matched by local government initiative’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

rossmores wrote: »
    I have a question is the €90 still paid by the landlord still over 4 year or over 6 with the recent additional control?

You must register the tenancy. If tenancy is started after 1st Jan 2017, then it would be every 6 years.

Talking of breaking the law, tax avoidance, etc, will earn you a ban from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Hi all,

For anyone that has gone to short term rental or Airbnb route and use a company to manage this service - Id appreciate if you could PM me which company you use/would recommend?
    Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

e.r wrote: »
    I have been following this thread for the most part, so forgive me if this has been asked already.

Is there anyway to raise the rent but NOT raise the rent, let me explain.

My tenants are fine and paying on time every month, the rent is approx 10% below the market rate. But I'm happy for this to continue.

Is there anyway to issue the maximum 4% increase ( all above board time lease started etc) but not get the increase of the tenant.

Reasons are so when this tenant moves on, I'm not stuck with the last rent amount, and can bring it closer to market rate, if this makes sense.

Thanks

All I can think of is increase the rent but buy the tenant a birthday gift that covers the difference and include the receipt.

Hi all,

For anyone that has gone to short term rental or Airbnb route and use a company to manage this service - Id appreciate if you could PM me which company you use/would recommend?
    Many thanks.

Isn't Airbnb basically illegal now?

I know a lot of tourist towns around Europe are requiring all airbnb flats to pay tens of thousands of euro to register as hotels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

erudec wrote: »

I know a lot of tourist towns around Europe are requiring all airbnb flats to pay tens of thousands of euro to register as hotels.

No- its not illegal.
    Some local authorities have suggested they may be bringing in by-laws to regulate it- however, it is not illegal.

No- its not illegal.
    Some local authorities have suggested they may be bringing in by-laws to regulate it- however, it is not illegal.

Well, I would not bank on it. The hotel industry is a huge cash cow for the state and most EU nations with a significant tourist industry have imposed "regulation" designed to make it completely unprofitable.

Don't assume that the Irish version will be more permissive, is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

erudec wrote: »

If memory serves me right planning permission is required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If memory serves me right planning permission is required

It's a sort of reverse planning. DCC have applied a ban on AirBnB in some very limited circumstances under the guise of planning. I can only recall one area in Temple bar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The proposal is that a 'change of use' would have to be applied for (from residential to commercial use) once 'occasional use of the property' went over a pre-determined number of days in a calendar year (a few different number of days were mentioned- most frequently 30,60 or 90).

The Minister does not appear to be looking at this (at present) so its fallen to the local authorities to enact bylaws to govern this. Dublin city council are the only local authority to do so- thus far- though it has come up in Galway and Cork.

In general- if its an apartment- you'd probably be in breach of your lease with the Management Company (to say nothing of the fact that your neighbours would want to kill you and dance on your grave).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is it only the College owned accommodation that is exempt? If a builder put up a block of apartments and called them student accomodation, do you mean those students would not be considered tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Is it only the College owned accommodation that is exempt? If a builder put up a block of apartments and called them student accomodation, do you mean those students would not be considered tenants?
    The builder needs to apply for planning permission for a student accommodation. Once it is granted, it is considered student accommodation, which will have several conditions attached to it. The main condition will be that you can only let to students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It's a sort of reverse planning. DCC have applied a ban on AirBnB in some very limited circumstances under the guise of planning. I can only recall one area in Temple bar.

It was one apartment where they held it did not have planning for use as AirBnB. It had been advertised as having income from AirBnb. It is well established that short term letting is a different use from normal residential use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

Let the government guess what Landlords are going to do with there properties
    instead of giving them information to tax us even more.

I see Threshold are at it again calling on the government to bring in criminal convictions to Landlords.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rents-reach-record-levels-after-growing-30-times-faster-than-general-inflation-840885.html

GGTrek wrote: »
    The builder needs to apply for planning permission for a student accommodation. Once it is granted, it is considered student accommodation, which will have several conditions attached to it. The main condition will be that you can only let to students.

Letting to students can be interesting, I'm told.

Advertisement