Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Granny15 wrote: »
    I said they knew better than me. Feel free to explain how you know better than them.

People are allowed to express opinions particularly if it against what the coaches are doing. This promotes discussion.

Anyway I'd say Leo has done well but not as well as Lancaster has.

There might be all kinds of reasons players aren't kept on that don't make sense such as coaches differing opinions.
    Leo has done very well for a guy two years into coaching. That he asked for Henry and then Lancaster says a lot.

So is today the day we get annoyed at Fergus McFadden or is the squad being announced tomorrow?

• Site Banned Posts: 262 ✭✭letf

Today at 12pm.

If the two of them are at the same club and both play the same position, then surely one of them has to be 2nd choice.

Also Loughman had been out injured when Porter was starting at 3, when Loughman returned for their final game of the season Porter started at 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

letf wrote: »
    Also Loughman had been out injured when Porter was starting at 3, when Loughman returned for their final game of the season Porter started at 1.
    That could just mean that they want both players on the pitch. The same as Stander starting at 6 for Ireland because Heaslip starts at 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So is today the day we get annoyed at Fergus McFadden or is the squad being announced tomorrow?

I'd say McFadden will be allowed a week off from unjustified criticism so he's back fresh for unjustified criticism ahead of the Ulster game, he's going to get a lot of flak simply for doing what is asked of him so we'll need him rested.

The team that any sane, right-thinking person would pick will be named at 12

That could just mean that they want both players on the pitch. The same as Stander starting at 6 for Ireland because Heaslip starts at 8.

almost certainly.. i wonder if one will move club next season to ensure both are playing as much TH as possible..

although I think it more likely that whichever one isn't being called upon by the senior team will simply lineup at TH for UCD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I thought three or four years ago that Furlong could easily be starting for the Lions. Anyone who saw him play Ireland U20s would have seen what an incredible player he already was then

And missing Ross and having to play Furlong off the bench in the 6N a year ago was a not inconsiderable factor in us drawing and losing the first two games. He suffered a lot in those scrums. The transformation is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Given the fact that we're already qualified for a home semi finals and the fact that it's a 5 day turnaround, any player that started in Clermont cannot start tomorrow. I'd add Cronin to that list potentially given his early introduction. JT is overdue some game time anyway.

I hope we throw caution to the wind a little bit and use this as a good opportunity to introduce one or two left field selections. We're tight enough in the back row anyway due to injuries and fatigue.

It'll be the last ever home game for Mike Ross so I'd expect him to start and be subbed after 50-60 minutes to get his deserved ovation. It might well be his last ever appearance for us too. It might well be the last time Dominic Ryan and Zane Kirchner get a chance to play at the RDS too.

On reflection, I'm hoping for (and I realise the bench is wildly optimistic):

Dooley, JT, Ross, Molony, Kearney, Ryan, VDF, Timmins, JGP, Byrne, Daly, Reid, ROL, Byrne, Kirchner

Cronin, Byrne, Bent, Nagle/Ryan, Leavy, McCarthy, Carbery, Larmour

• Advertisement

1. Dooley
    2. Tracy
    3. Ross
    4. Molony
    5. Nagle/Kearney
    6. Ryan
    7. JVDF
    8. Timmins
    9. JGP
    10. Byrne
    11. Daly
    12. Reid
    13. ROL
    14. Byrne
    15. Kirchner
    16. Byrne
    17. Porter
    18. Bent
    19. Ryan
    20. Deegan
    21. McCarthy
    22. Marsh
    23. Daly

Podge_irl wrote: »
    And missing Ross and having to play Furlong off the bench in the 6N a year ago was a not inconsiderable factor in us drawing and losing the first two games. He suffered a lot in those scrums. The transformation is remarkable.

His transformation from then is remarkable but him being extremely talented and reaching international level is not surprising based on he performed at underage level.

None of the current academy props have similar expectations based on their performances at tighthead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

His transformation from then is remarkable but him being extremely talented and reaching international level is not surprising based on he performed at underage level.

None of the current academy props have similar expectations based on their performances at tighthead.

No, its not surprising based on that - I remember being incredibly impressed with him at U20. But performances at U20 are not the be all and end all.

I'm not expecting anyone to become as good as Furlong. If they can show a similar progression they will become serviceable though.

Podge_irl wrote: »

I'm not expecting anyone to become as good as Furlong. If they can show a similar progression they will become serviceable though.

Who is?

It's about them being up to being 3rd choice tighthead next season and based on their AIL performances this season, none of them are ready.

Hopefully they all develop over the coming preseason, but without Ross there to aid their development expecting them to progress massively is asking too much in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who is?

It's about them being up to being 3rd choice tighthead next season and based on their AIL performances this season, none of them are ready.

Hopefully they all develop over the coming preseason, but without Ross there to aid their development expecting them to progress massively is asking too much in my opinion.

They're not being brought up based on their AIL performances this season. They've been with Leinster as well and Loughman has multiple caps.

You don't know that they're being brought up based on AIL performances. The choice has been made to keep one of them over Mike Ross for a multitiude of reasons that will come down to a mixture of money, ability (as seen first hand by Leinster coaches) and long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd say McFadden will be allowed a week off from unjustified criticism so he's back fresh for unjustified criticism ahead of the Ulster game, he's going to get a lot of flak simply for doing what is asked of him so we'll need him rested.

I would like to be able to like this post multiple times.
    Buer wrote: »
    Given the fact that we're already qualified for a home semi finals and the fact that it's a 5 day turnaround, any player that started in Clermont cannot start tomorrow. I'd add Cronin to that list potentially given his early introduction. JT is overdue some game time anyway.

I hope we throw caution to the wind a little bit and use this as a good opportunity to introduce one or two left field selections. We're tight enough in the back row anyway due to injuries and fatigue.

It'll be the last ever home game for Mike Ross so I'd expect him to start and be subbed after 50-60 minutes to get his deserved ovation. It might well be his last ever appearance for us too. It might well be the last time Dominic Ryan and Zane Kirchner get a chance to play at the RDS too.

On reflection, I'm hoping for (and I realise the bench is wildly optimistic):

Dooley, JT, Ross, Molony, Kearney, Ryan, VDF, Timmins, JGP, Byrne, Daly, Reid, ROL, Byrne, Kirchner

Cronin, Byrne, Bent, Nagle/Ryan, Leavy, McCarthy, Carbery, Larmour

Ah yes, Ryan. I already forgot about him. I knew when I was trying to predict the squad that there was a flanker missing. :o

My prediction therefore is something like:

Dooley Tracy Ross
    Molony Nagle
    Ryan Timmins VDF

JGP Byrne
    Reid ROL
    Daly Kirchner Byrne

Cronin, Porter, Bent, Kearney, Deegan, McCarthy, Marsh, T Daly

• Advertisement

They're not being brought up based on their AIL performances this season. They've been with Leinster as well and Loughman has multiple caps.

You don't know that they're being brought up based on AIL performances. The choice has been made to keep one of them over Mike Ross for a multitiude of reasons that will come down to a mixture of money, ability (as seen first hand by Leinster coaches) and long term planning.

I'm purely saying that based on how they've performed at AIL none of them look ready to be 3rd choice tighthead for Leinster and that without Ross around they won't have his knowledge to call upon to aid their development.

Losing Ross's scrum knowledge is a massive blow to all three of them in their quest to develop as tightheads. Maybe that will be counter balanced by the improved game time they all should receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dooley
    Tracy
    Ross

Molony
    Kearney

D Ryan
    Van Der Flier
    Deegan

Gibson-Park
    R Byrne

Reid
    O'Loughlin

A Byrne
    J Larmour
    Z Kirchner

Subs: Cronin, Byrne, Bent, J Ryan, Timmins, McCarthy, T Daly, B Daly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm purely saying that based on how they've performed at AIL none of them look ready to be 3rd choice tighthead for Leinster and that without Ross around they won't have his knowledge to call upon to aid their development.

Losing Ross's scrum knowledge is a massive blow to all three of them in their quest to develop as tightheads. Maybe that will be counter balanced by the improved game time they all should receive.
    Surely the coaches and Furlong have picked up on Ross's wisdom over the years? If not, either Ross isn't sharing, or they're as dumb as a bucket of hair.

Surely the coaches and Furlong have picked up on Ross's wisdom over the years? If not, either Ross isn't sharing, or they're as dumb as a bucket of hair.

If they're really struggling for insight they're in the same city and working for the same employer as one of the best scrum coaches in Europe, if not the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is deegan injured?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Is deegan injured?

was, but is back training now.

Glasgow sending a significantly weakened side over.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Zane Kirchner (86)
    14. Adam Byrne (21)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (19)
    12. Tom Daly (8)
    11. Fergus McFadden (150)
    10. Ross Byrne (21)
    9. Nick McCarthy (6)
    1. Peter Dooley (37)
    2. James Tracy (39)
    3. Mike Ross (151)
    4. Ross Molony (42) CAPTAIN
    5. Mick Kearney (20)
    6. Dominic Ryan (112)
    7. Josh van der Flier (43)
    8. Jack Conan (49)

16. Richardt Strauss (144)
    17. Jack McGrath (110)
    18. Michael Bent (85)
    19. Ian Nagle (10)
    20. Dan Leavy (36)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (26)
    22. Joey Carbery (20)
    23. Noel Reid (80)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Molony captain, interesting..

So many other captain options there.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/ross-molony-to-captain-leinster-for-first-time/

A first start for Nick McCarthy, Molony to captain, second start for Tom Daly. Very exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

With all the suggestions of Deegans, Ryans and Larmours it's a bit disappointing. Glasgow resting Russell, Price, Hogg, Fagerson, Reid, Harley, Dunbar and some others.

Molony as captain is by far the most interesting element, for me. Nick McCarthy getting a start too. Strong enough pack overall and back row so I'd like to think we've enough to almost win it.

Strong bench but so is Glasgow's. Could be an interesting game.

errlloyd wrote: »
    With all the suggestions of Deegans, Ryans and Larmours it's a bit disappointing. Glasgow resting Russell, Price, Hogg, Fagerson, Reid, Harley, Dunbar and some others.

Larmour is injured and Ryan/Deegan are just back from injury to be fair.

Starting halfbacks were born in 1995.

Tom Daly over Noel Reid is interesting

errlloyd wrote: »

Ah, was all a bit optimistic and pie in the sky. But it's nice to spitball these possibilities.

Surprised to see McFadden starting. Barry Daly must be carrying a knock, I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

McCarthy starting, Molony captain and Daly over Reid. Interesting.

Tough week for Conan and McFadden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Peregrine wrote: »
    McCarthy starting, Molony captain and Daly over Reid. Interesting.

Tough week for Conan and McFadden.

It's a weird one because Conan is absolutely crucial to the rest of our season, and he looked pretty gassed at the 80th in Lyon.

Although, I disagree with posters who said he was quiet in that game. I thought he was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Buer wrote: »
    Molony as captain is by far the most interesting element, for me. Nick McCarthy getting a start too. Strong enough pack overall and back row so I'd like to think we've enough to almost win it.

Strong bench but so is Glasgow's. Could be an interesting game.

For you maybe:

245915_54_news_hub_202519_656x500.jpg

dub_skav wrote: »
    For you maybe:

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a stronger 23 than I was expecting. Leinster have done an excellent job in developing a strong squad.

Looking forward to seeing how McCarthy gets on along with Daly at 12 and Dooley at 1.

be great too if Tracy showed some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

Larmour is injured and Ryan/Deegan are just back from injury to be fair.

Starting halfbacks were born in 1995.

I feel old... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Decent enough team. Moloney captain has come out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Surprised Molony already has 42 caps to his name. He's going to pick up some amount.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Decent enough team. Moloney captain has come out of nowhere.

Captained in pre-season.

Glasgow resting a good few and have a similarly strong bench so looks like the selection is about right.

It's going to be a disjointed game for both teams and interestingly neither team has a huge amount to play for. Glasgow odds are farcically long to make the final 4 and Leinster can't come worse than second.

Leinster by 10+.

Just saw this reel on youtube that someone put together on Tadgh Furlong.

Dear god he is a Monster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You could easily make a SOB sub-reel from that video too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the way he shrugs off franks tackle, then sits down Ratellick and then Reid within seconds is a thing of beauty, ill never get tired of seeing that. :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the way he shrugs off franks tackle, then sits down Ratellick and then Reid within seconds is a thing of beauty, ill never get tired of seeing that. :)

Yeah I'm the same but I've had to stop watching it in public as people get upset when I start taking my pants off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That clearout on Gopperth is a thing of beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What is story with D Kearney? not another bad injury?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What is story with D Kearney? not another bad injury?

6 weeks

Gotta say, I think this is a stronger Glasgow team than people are making out. I've no idea what Seymour is like at FB, and the centres are a bit green, but there's still a lot of class in the side. A stronger bench than us too.

15. Tommy Seymour (99)
    14. Leonardo Sarto (7)
    13. Nick Grigg (19)
    12. Sam Johnson (23)
    11. Lee Jones (52)
    10. Peter Horne (113)
    9. Henry Pyrgos (123)

1. Alex Allan (49)
    2. Fraser Brown (62)
    3. Sila Puafisi (42)
    4. Brian Alainu’uese (15)
    5. Jonny Gray (71)
    6. Tim Swinson (94)
    7. Chris Fusaro (124)
    8. Adam Ashe (37)

Replacements:

16. Pat MacArthur (153)
    17. Gordon Reid (112)
    18. Zander Fagerson (48)
    19. Rob Harley (161)
    20. Matt Fagerson (6)
    21. Ali Price (40)
    22. Finn Russell (62)
    23. Alex Dunbar (97)

That's a very good tight 5. Could be an area for them to target.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement