Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nick McCarthy got man of the match. Very promising start for a guy I really wasn't sure of at all. Long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Nick McCarthy got man of the match. Very promising start for a guy I really wasn't sure of at all. Long may it continue

He looked really good. Looks like he'd be a good bench option for us going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

McCarthy was excellent very zippy service and bossed the pack well, got in and got the ball out quickly all night. Few erratic passes but mostly fairly accurate. He seemed to draw R Byrne to the gain line a bit more, which was good to see. Although it forced his game a little, it was good to see him drawing defenders.

He looked really good. Looks like he'd be a good bench option for us going forward.

He's not good enough for this level. We should go looking in South Africa and see if we can find an experienced 33 / 34 year old.

He's not good enough for this level. We should go looking in South Africa and see if we can find an experienced 33 / 34 year old.

And while we're at it, best not bother developing anyone else.

A lot of woosh moments around here these days.

Venjur's tongue was super glued to his cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On reflection, a very good win with what was mostly a third string selection.

I think Kirchner deserves a bit more credit than he has received so far. Had a very tidy game, bringing the ball up to the line and beating the first man a number of times aside from making the opening try.

McCarthy was very decent. He'll have bigger challenges but certainly showed enough to suggest he deserves more of a look next season.

Tom Daly was possibly the opposite. For a big guy, he's not physically dominant at all and took the wrong decision in attack a couple of times. Noel Reid was a big improvement and gave another dimension.

I thought Molony continued his recent solid form. Kept popping up in attack and was constantly in Glasgow's face in defence which is good as it has been the looser part of his game this season. In contrast, I'm not sure what has happened to Mick Kearney. He's a shadow of the guy who was at Connacht or even played his first half dozen games for Leinster.

Leavy did well considering he was well out of position but, when it came to the breakdown, he looked like a man who played 5 days ago. VDF looked slightly less industrious than normal too although was solid.

Thought ROL was our stand out performer by a mile. Looked dangerous every time he got his hands on it and burned the defence on the outside several times.

stephen_n wrote: »
    A lot of woosh moments around here these days.

Venjur's tongue was super glued to his cheek!

Quite clearly this was not obvious to all!

.ak wrote: »
    The pure Irishness of the situation when the lights went out were gas. The lights died and massive jeer rings out, cans are opened, songs sung and instead of people being upset or annoyed by the outtage instead the atmosphere gets kicked up a notch. Was gas in the terrace, everyone just went thru all the chants/songs they knew, proper party hahah. Think some of the lads were disappointed when the lights came back on.

It was great to see that despite a tense part of the game that Irish people are capable of having a sense of humour about things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

giphy.gif

ROGesque

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

This was Byrne's most important defensive moment of the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Really happy with yesterday's game overall. It was mainly third strong guys out there and they still managed a TBP win in a game I was very worried about. When, oh when, will I stop underestimating these guys.

Thought some of the officiating was very suspect at times. They lost the ball in the deck and regathered for their first try, Sarto kicked his own leg up into the air for the supposed tip tackle and JGP was clearly on the receiving end of a high tackle a few metres out that was also missed. The last one you can get over as it was a break and the Mitrea probably wasn't close enough to see it, but the other two went to the TMO so there really shouldn't have been an issue. I suppose we got the "not clear and obvious" call earlier so shouldn't complain re their try, but still.

Thought Leavy had a good start but faded badly as the game wore on. The decision to take that quick tap was all sorts of wrong. But can't be critical of a guy who played most of the game on Sunday and the full 80 yesterday. Kearney needs to refund some form and quick. He looked good in the few appearances he got last season but this season, as Buer said, he's a shadow of that player. Daly was okay, but not much better. Carried well enough at times but not much else.

Outside of those I thought Moloney was the pick of the forwards for me. He has a great step off both feet that enables him to just get around the side of defenders and make those extra yards. I think he could be a really important player for us in the coming years. In the backs McCarthy went well for his first start and ROL going forward was very good at times. But it was Zane and Adam Byrne who were the best on show outside the fatties. I thought Zane had one of his best all round games for Leinster while Byrne showcased his strengths (literally at times) without the notable weaknesses we've been talking about. Ross Byrne I thought went well enough, place kicking aside. He's a way to go yet but he seems to be developing nicely.

Had you given told me we'd get a TBP win beforehand I'd have taken your hand off for it. Up to 90 tries in the league this season with a game to go. That's just bonkers. Leo said during the week that he was excited about Leinsters future. He's not alone.

If you look at those decisions again you'll see they're really not that clear, for example for their try it could easilly have remained in his other hand and not been knocked on its hard to say, and Sarto was very unlucky to be sin binned. Overall noone really got much from the officials.

If you look at those decisions again you'll see they're really not that clear, for example for their try it could easilly have remained in his other hand and not been knocked on its hard to say, and Sarto was very unlucky to be sin binned. Overall noone really got much from the officials.

Yeah the not clear and obvious went our way earlier as I said so wouldn't be too put out by that. Sarto got the yellow for repeated infringements.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the not clear and obvious went our way earlier as I said so wouldn't be too put out by that. Sarto got the yellow for repeated infringements.

Funny that you need a TMO to look before giving a yellow for repeated infringements...

EDIT: And even if it was a yellow for repeated infringements, which I think was an absolute copout, its still unfair on him because it shouldn't have been a penalty against.

Funny that you need a TMO to look before giving a yellow for repeated infringements...

EDIT: And even if it was a yellow for repeated infringements, which I think was an absolute copout, its still unfair on him because it shouldn't have been a penalty against.

The TMO call was to identify whether it was a penalty wasn't it?

The TMO call was to identify whether it was a penalty wasn't it?

No. He said he wanted to look at it because he thought it 'might have been more than a penalty'. The TMO then (once again) completely failed to look at what was actually happening on the screen and was completely non-committal apart from saying "I'll show you another angle".

Normally "I'll show you another angle" is enough of a hint but they seemed to have real trouble communicating with one another through English.

Either way, Sarto used his right arm when making the tackle before the 2nd tackler arrived, it wasn't a penalty, its just the TMO only showed him the tackle from the left side which obscured it.

Big decision for Leo now. Honestly think we should use next week as a development match. We won't learn anything from sending the first choice team up but then again some of those guys will need a run out before the semi final.

It's all about managing game time now. Anyone who needs it vs anyone who could do with the few weeks off. This Ulster teams confidence is shot. We should be able to get the win regardless of what team we send up but not sure any of us care one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The yellow card was, correctly, for a no arms tackle. He led with his right arm but didn't wrap.

The yellow card was, correctly, for a no arms tackle. He led with his right arm but didn't wrap.

As long as you make a fair attempt to use your arm, its not a no arms tackle. This is exactly what he did.

It's in the name.

It's all about managing game time now. Anyone who needs it vs anyone who could do with the few weeks off. This Ulster teams confidence is shot. We should be able to get the win regardless of what team we send up but not sure any of us care one way or another.

Yeah, time to send a Cheika-esque academy side. Give Leinster A a chance to get some game time.

No. He said he wanted to look at it because he thought it 'might have been more than a penalty'. The TMO then (once again) completely failed to look at what was actually happening on the screen and was completely non-committal apart from saying "I'll show you another angle".

Normally "I'll show you another angle" is enough of a hint but they seemed to have real trouble communicating with one another through English.

Either way, Sarto used his right arm when making the tackle before the 2nd tackler arrived, it wasn't a penalty, its just the TMO only showed him the tackle from the left side which obscured it.

Did he not ask was it a penalty, I couldn't see any arms?

Did he not ask was it a penalty, I couldn't see any arms?

He said it was a penalty and wanted to review if it should be more

Judging by that first half I'd much rather Ospreys than Scarlets in the semi. Ospreys were shocking earlier and still absolutely hammered Ulster. Scarlets not great but thumping Connacht. I don't fear either side but going on percentages it's a no brainer.

Judging by that first half I'd much rather Ospreys than Scarlets in the semi. Ospreys were shocking earlier and still absolutely hammered Ulster. Scarlets not great but thumping Connacht. I don't fear either side but going on percentages it's a no brainer.

Yep. We just need to beat Ulster to guarantee top spot. Scarlets will beat Ospreys in Llanelli putting them 3rd. So we'd be at home to Ospreys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think Mitrea was a bit fed up with Glasgow conceding so many penalties at that stage that he jumped the gun on the penalty. I didn't think it was a penalty myself and I'm not sure Mitrea did either after viewing it back but he'd already given it at that stage so had to send Sarto to the bin. It evened out later with the high tackle on JGP which could've conceivably been a penalty try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I missed what the story with Dominic Ryan is. Is he retiring or going elsewhere?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I missed what the story with Dominic Ryan is. Is he retiring or going elsewhere?

No word yet as far as I'm aware. If he was gambling on a being a free agent it didn't go to plan. He's played some great games for Leinster but not sure he's ever lived upto his expectation. On the other hand, maybe the expectation wasn't realistic.

At the end of the day though, he's gotten some good game time the last 2-3 years and I wouldn't be surprised if he surfaced elsewhere in Ireland. Certainly Munster or Connacht might be interested in him, but I think the Ulster pack would benefit a lot from his abrasiveness, leadership and ball handling skills.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster were interested in him but the feeling wasn't mutual.

Dardis not extended either.

awec wrote: »
    Ulster were interested in him but the feeling wasn't mutual.

He might regret that. He could have done well under Gibbs.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He might regret that. He could have done well under Gibbs.

Think he was more interested in moving to England. While he'd be a lot further up the pecking order at Ulster he's not going to be a guaranteed starter and without the lure of test rugby to keep him here he may as well chase position and money in England.

Saw that earlier, was that expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Didn't Tony Ward go a bit overboard and demand Dardis be fasttracked into the Ireland squad a few years back?

Didn't Tony Ward go a bit overboard and demand Dardis be fasttracked into the Ireland squad a few years back?

Yes. Tony Ward lives overboard permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

He compared him to Christian Cullen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

He compared him to Christian Cullen...

So keeping with the overboard analogy - he's going to wash up in munster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sanjuro wrote: »

I remember when he burst on the scene - think against Glasgow again - with massive hits - thought he'd be an Irish regular , once Jordi overtook him , and then injuries it hasn't gone to plan - wish him well.

Big things were expected of Dardis too , hasn't gone to plan either --

sport can be cruel ... Don't believe the hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

thebaz wrote: »
    I remember when he burst on the scene - think against Glasgow again - with massive hits - thought he'd be an Irish regular , once Jordi overtook him , and then injuries it hasn't gone to plan - wish him well.

Big things were expected of Dardis too , hasn't gone to plan either --

sport can be cruel ... Don't believe the hype

I think Dardis would've had a good shot elsewhere. With Byrne and ROL taking up the spots on the wings, Carbery emerging as an option for FB and Lamour in the pipeline, I think he was just seen as surplus to requirements, and obviously hadn't shown enough to warrant keeping him.

Saw that earlier, was that expected?

Not expected but not a surprise either. He's been fit since February AFAIK but hasn't featured at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Dom Ryan will find a good team in the Premiership, Dardis will find his level in the Championship I would imagine. Best of luck to both of them.

Iirc Dardis was mooted as one of the reasons we were letting Kelliher go. It's not like we are overly stocked with outside backs, though I suppose with Lowe coming he would find it hard to get game time.

Watching back some of the match there, Byrne was quite solid defensively, made some decent hits and positioning was spot on. Good to see improvement in that area.

Ferg was hungry for work also, popped up all over the place. Another strong 3/10 performance :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I suspect once Jonno gets a year under his belt in Belfast, Ulster will begin looking like a better prospect for lads like Ryan. I'd say, for example, that a year ago Munster would have been a pretty hard sell, whereas now I'd say the prospect would be a lot more appealing, especially for a back row. Of course the money would be better in England, if that's all the player wants.

Iirc Dardis was mooted as one of the reasons we were letting Kelliher go. It's not like we are overly stocked with outside backs, though I suppose with Lowe coming he would find it hard to get game time.

I know Kelleher's season was wrecked by injury, but the performances of Byrne and O'Loughlin this season make his departure look like a good call (with hindsight, obvs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Teferi wrote: »
    Dom Ryan will find a good team in the Premiership, Dardis will find his level in the Championship I would imagine. Best of luck to both of them.

What Dardis does next will be interesting. I think hes better than Championship but maybe a season in the championship (maybe Bristol?) would be good for him to get a run, then maybe a premiership team, and if he does well there he might move back to another province or Leinster and allow carberry to go to 10 instead of swapping between 10 and 15 considering that in 2/3 years well probably be looking for a new 10 and or 15 to step up to the full time starting position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Has Dardis done anything noteworthy since his school days. I don't remember him standing out at u-20 level or receiving much attention in Leinster A match reports. I may not remember correctly but wasn't his last year in school a bit underwhelming too?

I know Kelleher's season was wrecked by injury, but the performances of Byrne and O'Loughlin this season make his departure look like a good call (with hindsight, obvs).

Even at the time I didn't have an issue, I reckoned the coaches knew what they were at. We just don't seem to be holding on to many young back three players. I know ROL plays on the wing but technically he's not being developed as a back three player. Of course having the players we do in the senior squad, it's going to be hard for young guys to make an impact in the next few years. Though we are still reasonably light given the Kearneys injury profile and Kirchner departure. Hopefully Lamour makes it the whole way through and fulfills the expectations around him!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement