Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

awec wrote: »
    Surely, surely Leinster could have fielded some of those blokes against Munster and rested them this week instead?

Going under strength to Thomond and taking a tank to a paintball fight tomorrow. It makes little sense.

The directive was apparently the two Christmas games. Had they offered two out of three games, i'd say we would have had a radically different approach. In that case tomorrow we would be playing Clontarf XV v Zebre.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

But then you lose your momentum week on week by breaking things up before Europe.

Not sure how much momentum is really gained from a glorified training session at home to Zebre.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely, surely Leinster could have fielded some of those blokes against Munster and rested them this week instead?

Going under strength to Thomond and taking a tank to a paintball fight tomorrow. It makes little sense.

Completely agreed, makes the thomond selection all the more insulting really.

however its obviously coming from an agreement from the clubs.
    the interpros the week before the HC games had pros and cons.

now we have an italian team at home as cannon fodder for whats practicality our first 23??

crisco10 wrote: »
    just shows you how good Isa is when they have to pick that strong a team the one week he is rested to make up for his loss!!! :D:D

Last trip to Dublin for Zebre?? Did I miss something?

Strong rumours of the franchise moving to Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure how much momentum is really gained from a glorified training session at home to Zebre.

Probably more than them not playing at all I'd imagine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Quite a lot

Buer wrote: »
    I think it'll be a walk in the park but not the utter slaughter some imagine simply because we'll be in second gear and those lads are going to be thinking about the following week. I imagine we'll have a BP wrapped up by 50 minutes at most and then go through the motions and empty the bench.

I reckon around 33-6.

I'd be very disappointed with that scoreline myself. We put 8 tries on them in the same fixture last season. With this team we should be looking to do similar.

Quite a lot

Not sure I'd agree, Leinster would get a better workout on the training paddock playing against Leinster A.

Tomorrow you'll just be going through the motions, win at a canter and not really gain much from it. Personally I think you'd have got better momentum coming off two interpro wins and using Zebre as a final runabout before the important games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not sure I'd agree, Leinster would get a better workout on the training paddock playing against Leinster A.

Tomorrow you'll just be going through the motions, win at a canter and not really gain much from it. Personally I think you'd have got better momentum coming off two interpro wins and using Zebre as a final runabout before the important games.

I completely agree with this. I have no idea why this team wasn't sent to Thomond. Perhaps the only argument was we had that 5 day turn around before the Ulster match as well.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. I have no idea why this team wasn't sent to Thomond. Perhaps the only argument was we had that 5 day turn around before the Ulster match as well.

Well I imagine the reason is the IRFU mandated that the interpros were to be used for resting players.

I doubt Cullen would have made these selections if he had free-reign.

• Advertisement

Well that's fine, but I would completely disagree. It's much easier to stay focused and confident when you're not breaking things up like that.

There's a reason that Leinster always schedule an interpro the last week before the first European game in October, rather than 2 weeks before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Who is this Daniel Jones lad reffing?

Well that's fine, but I would completely disagree. It's much easier to stay focused and confident when you're not breaking things up like that.

There's a reason that Leinster always schedule an interpro the last week before the first European game in October, rather than 2 weeks before.
    Yea, but an interpro is a million miles from Zebre at home.

If Leinster had a decent team against them tomorrow I'd agree 100% with you.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be very disappointed with that scoreline myself. We put 8 tries on them in the same fixture last season. With this team we should be looking to do similar.

I'd take 33, as long as there were no injuries and Sexton got a solid 50 minutes under his belt.

Naturally more would be nice, but priorities are a TBP and injury free.

Just because Zebre aren't as good doesn't mean you don't a whole host of those benefits. Some of the benefits would be even greater than a (traditionally awful quality) interpro, for example the confidence of being able to move the ball about.

Just because Zebre aren't as good doesn't mean you don't a whole host of those benefits. Some of the benefits would be even greater than a (traditionally awful quality) interpro, for example the confidence of being able to move the ball about.

We'll agree to disagree!

I'm getting diplomatic in my old age.

But the prep done during the week and all that isn't a million miles off. It's not ideal and the best answer wouldn't be to change the selections, but change the fixtures. Have the Munster game as it was with full teams. Play Zebre on NYE and then play Ulster this weekend with full teams. Better for the fans and better prep for Europe.
    I'd take 33, as long as there were no injuries and Sexton got a solid 50 minutes under his belt.

Naturally more would be nice, but priorities are a TBP and injury free.

We've dropped a few bonus points this season already, be it TBPs or LBPs. We need to get our tries scored up in case it comes to that at the end of the season. We won't have a better opportunity than this.

I don't think it'll be as little as 33 points to be honest. Leinster could bust 60 no sweat.

But the prep done during the week and all that isn't a million miles off. It's not ideal and the best answer wouldn't be to change the selections, but change the fixtures. Have the Munster game as it was with full teams. Play Zebre on NYE and then play Ulster this weekend with full teams. Better for the fans and better prep for Europe.

The IRFU will never let that happen. Unfortunately for us and unfortunately for the Pro 12 in its attempts to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nothing to do with the standard of opposition. It'll be a run out for the team together in a live environment. It's more about playing alongside one another than whoever is lining up opposite them.

The IRFU will never let that happen. Unfortunately for us and unfortunately for the Pro 12 in its attempts to be taken seriously.

Well if that is the case then, as much as I've defended them on other issues, they are completely wrong not to. I'd love to know what the logic is. Guaranteeing each province 4/5 points over the 2 weeks? Capitalising on the season that's in it to get crowd numbers up?

Well if that is the case then, as much as I've defended them on other issues, they are completely wrong not to. I'd love to know what the logic is. Guaranteeing each province 4/5 points over the 2 weeks? Capitalising on the season that's in it to get crowd numbers up?

I don't think it's anything like that. I think it's because interpros at full strength are the most intense fixtures and lead to the most injuries, like BOD/Fitzgerald v Munster. By limiting those fixtures they're taking a big source of risk off their radar every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I didn't realise that Leinster were in charge of fixture scheduling.......You live and learn.:D:D:D:D

I don't think it's anything like that. I think it's because interpros at full strength are the most intense fixtures and lead to the most injuries, like BOD/Fitzgerald v Munster. By limiting those fixtures they're taking a big source of risk off their radar every year.

But it's just 1 game. The others tend to be full strength, or very close to it. I can't imagine they're limiting the risk that much are they?

jacothelad wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Leinster were in charge of fixture scheduling.......You live and learn.:D:D:D:D

We're the Dublin mafia

• Advertisement

But it's just 1 game. The others tend to be full strength, or very close to it. I can't imagine they're limiting the risk that much are they?

It's more than 1 game when you suddenly have the provinces sending their stronger team in alternate games. If those games are problematic in terms of keeping guys fit (I've never seen statistics) then I can see the reasoning but it's incredibly short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

We're the Dublin mafia

Apparently ospreys do the same. They are the Taffia.;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bar a supporter boycott of the interpros nothing will change regarding the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Jaysis that's a very strong side to be sending out v Zebre, should put 50+ points up on them if Leinster are in the mood

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    I think it'll be a walk in the park but not the utter slaughter some imagine simply because we'll be in second gear and those lads are going to be thinking about the following week. I imagine we'll have a BP wrapped up by 50 minutes at most and then go through the motions and empty the bench.

I reckon around 33-6.

and look at the bench! probably easily worth another 2 or 3 tries.

After last weeks lacklustre performance, I would be expecting a higher level of intensity with Europe in mind next week.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    and look at the bench! probably easily worth another 2 or 3 tries.

After last weeks lacklustre performance, I would be expecting a higher level of intensity with Europe in mind next week.

It depends how early JGP and Ross Byrne come on for me. They haven't seemed to be on the same page so far so if they both come on early (and you'd have to assume Sexton will be off fairly early) then we may not score so easily.

It depends how early JGP and Ross Byrne come on for me. They haven't seemed to be on the same page so far so if they both come on early (and you'd have to assume Sexton will be off fairly early) then we may not score so easily.

I would assume the nature of the game will suit JGP's skill set. No they haven't really clicked yet, but in the last two games, JGP has seemed to be in kick everything mode. I'd hope we will be looking to speed things up in the last 30 of this game. If most of the substitutions are made between the 50th and 60th minute, the last 20 should be settled enough and could yield tries.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would assume the nature of the game will suit JGP's skill set. No they haven't really clicked yet, but in the last two games, JGP has seemed to be in kick everything mode. I'd hope we will be looking to speed things up in the last 30 of this game. If most of the substitutions are made between the 50th and 60th minute, the last 20 should be settled enough and could yield tries.

They've been in "kick-everything" mode because that's the game that suits Byrne most as a starter. If they want to speed things up then that suits JGP but will require Byrne playing close to the line. Henshaw makes things much easier for both though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How many times have Sexton-Henshaw-Ringrose actually played together? That alone is worth the entry fee

They've been in "kick-everything" mode because that's the game that suits Byrne most as a starter. If they want to speed things up then that suits JGP but will require Byrne playing close to the line. Henshaw makes things much easier for both though.

Could be Reid on and standing as first receiver by that stage. JGP has been kicking (poorly) mostly in defensive positions. I somehow don't see us doing too much of that.

That team is unrelentingly filthy. Wouldn't be surprised if this is a season record score.

Not quite the battle you want the week before hosting Montpellier but at the same time there are many factors:

First team to get a run out and get combinations working and fluency in the various pods
    Get the crowd at fever pitch with a high scoring performance with the hope that noise levels start high and stay high next week
    Get Sexton game time to find his rhythm in game where our pack should be well on top
    Build confidence for some of the lower cap guys who have broken through

That team is unrelentingly filthy.

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Heaslip has agreed a new deal until 2020

Stheno wrote: »

Where did you see that? (Leinster site is useless)

That will see him into retirement. Good to see him commit the rest of his career to his home province. A payday in France would have been nice but sets am example for the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oh wow, let me just check the Leinster website for the official story...

QbO7MNzKZH-8.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where did you see that? (Leinster site is useless)

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/jamie-heaslip-agrees-new-leinster-deal-until-2020-1.2926712

Irish Times - contract agreed by all parties but not yet signed

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hang on. I'm still trying to load the Leinster page.

It's not on the leinster site, the irish site, the leinster twitter, the irish twitter or Heaslip's twitter.

Or am I blind?

It'll be announced on the far less awful irishrugby.ie when it's official, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ooooooh Stheno you shneeaak, announcing it like that when it's only on the irish times... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Perhaps it took a three year deal to keep him, well done to Heaslip in any case.
    I'm intrigued to see how this affects Jack Conan. He'll be almost 28 by the time Heaslip's contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On Stuart Lancaster being linked to the recently vacant Leicester Tigers director of rugby role – following the dismissal of Richard Cockerill – and the Connacht job, Cullen said: “It’s a difficult question to answer. Yeah, Stuart has gone well. We are having discussions all the time. It is all ongoing. We will see. I’m sure you guys will be first to know if we have anything to announce.”

Seems as though Leinster are at least discussing long-term plans with Lancaster too.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Seems as though Leinster are at least discussing long-term plans with Lancaster too.

I would like to thank this post multiple times.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement