Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Comments

Unless it's someone other than McFadden or Byrne, then it's not a surprise.

Not a surprise so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hickeys back!!!

The dream..... :D

Ferg in ahead of Byrne so. I'd have backed Byrne tbh, but I understand the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conan and SOB both fine. Only one surprise in the starting team on the wing. Ye can guess what that is.

If the wings are made up of any two of isa, Byrne or ferg then there'll be no surprises, they're all in good form.

If ROL, Daly or Kirchner feature then there'll be a head scratcher.

.ak wrote: »
    If the wings are made up of any two of isa, Byrne or ferg then there'll be no surprises, they're all in good form.

Ruddock providing second row cover. Byrne is on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Conan and SOB both fine. Only one surprise in the starting team on the wing. Ye can guess what that is.
    Fanning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »

Is Dave Kearney not back from injury, he could be the surprise.

Out for the season from what I'm told

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

And straight back into injury. Poor bastard. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Peregrine wrote: »
    And straight back into injury. Poor bastard. :(

He must be at be at risk of retirement soon? Maybe they're all unrelated though.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    He must be at be at risk of retirement soon? Maybe they're all unrelated though.

Sometimes players get fed up with constant rehab but his injuries aren't chronic. It's been different things.

A lot of it has been bad luck to be honest, much like other "potential" retirees he could have a good pre-season and be back in green next year for all we know.

On a side note, Healy supposedly very angry and general sentiment in the camp is that he has been extremely hard done by. Sounds like a bit of a witch hunt, less about the incident and more about targeting players making big impacts at the breakdown which is something Healy is known for.

Decision has been made not to appeal from what I hear but apparently some clarification on the laws are being sought.

There was no hint that Connacht had any part in the citing nor made any attempt to make it worse. The decision seems to have come from the citing commissioner and the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Sangre wrote: »

He's had 4 injuries that have kept him out for most of the time since the start of 2016:

Feb 2016 - Shoulder, v France
    Oct 2016 - Ankle, v Cardiff
    Feb 2017 - Toe, v Edinburgh
    Apr 2017 - Ankle, v Connacht

Not sure if it was the same ankle that got injured both times but they're unrelated injuries aside from potentially those. He's had a terrible run of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

On a side note, Healy supposedly very angry and general sentiment in the camp is that he has been extremely hard done by. Sounds like a bit of a witch hunt, less about the incident and more about targeting players making big impacts at the breakdown which is something Healy is known for.

Decision has been made not to appeal from what I hear but apparently some clarification on the laws are being sought.

I'm sure Healy is very angry - but he should be angry at himself. I don't know where your info is coming from, but if lads are sitting around talking about a witch hunt, then they need to cop on.

You go off your feet and lead with your head at a ruck, you've no-one to blame but yourself if you get banned. I'm not sure what clarification on the rules they would be looking for, any forward who isn't aware of the need to bind to a ruck has no business being a pro player.
    There was no hint that Connacht had any part in the citing nor made any attempt to make it worse. The decision seems to have come from the citing commissioner and the panel.

Of course it did. The possibility of one team citing the other was done away with long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm sure Healy is very angry - but he should be angry at himself. I don't know where your info is coming from, but if lads are sitting around talking about a witch hunt, then they need to cop on.

You go off your feet and lead with your head at a ruck, you've no-one to blame but yourself if you get banned. I'm not sure what clarification on the rules they would be looking for, any forward who isn't aware of the need to bind to a ruck has no business being a pro player.

When was the last time a red card was given for this in the Pro 12? It's something that happens in every game, it gets penalised, but this is a red card retroactively for Healy for this.

EDIT: The only reds that I can think of for this type of thing usually involve charging. Healy didn't charge the ruck, he was coming from a standing start.

Apparently they were able to show a number of very similar incidents during the game on both sides that were reviewed and deemed fine. They are looking for further clarification.

There doesn't appear to be evidence of head on head contact. It seems the confusion on here is mirrored within the camp is all I'm saying.

Of course it did. The possibility of one team citing the other was done away with long ago.

There were suggestions on here that one team might have raised the issue or that without video evidence that player testimony may have had an impact. I'm just pointing out that that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Healy has a bit of previous of being reckless at a ruck. Ask Dan Cole about that.

• Advertisement

Apparently they were able to show a number of very similar incidents during the game on both sides that were reviewed and deemed fine. They are looking for further clarification.

There doesn't appear to be evidence of head on head contact. It seems the confusion on here is mirrored within the camp is all I'm saying.

The only angle we have doesn't show evidence of head on head contact, but nor does it show Healy binding properly to the ruck. We don't have all the camera angles that the disciplinary committee would have. You charge into a ruck, you're asking for trouble.

As well as Healy's own past record, Leinster have a record of fighting like dogs when they believe there's been an injustice. No appeal would seem to indicate they don't feel that hard done by.

SOB out. Feck.

C97iavdWsAAGMxo.jpg

Shiiiiiite

Slightly surprised to see Strauss starting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

O'Brien out. Balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heaslip and now SoB missing the game is a huge blow.

Kayser, Zirakashvili and Vahaamahina all named. #mindgames

C97nR5eXYAESwNF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a huge blow. The pendulum has swung significantly back towards Clermont.

I think they've made the right call by picking Ruddock, though.

The knock on impact is massive. Changes the dynamic of our bench completely. We've now lost Healy and SOB in the space of 48 hours.

Very good call on Ruddock starting, Buer. Probably for the exact reason you suggest but also I think down to pure physicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The only angle we have doesn't show evidence of head on head contact, but nor does it show Healy binding properly to the ruck. We don't have all the camera angles that the disciplinary committee would have. You charge into a ruck, you're asking for trouble.

As well as Healy's own past record, Leinster have a record of fighting like dogs when they believe there's been an injustice. No appeal would seem to indicate they don't feel that hard done by.
    The danger of fighting a two week ban is ending up with a bigger one. When was the last time Leinster appealed a ban? I'm struggling to remember.

As for whether Healy bound or not, the camera angle showed his arm in position to bind. It was subsequently impossible to see that bind as both Healy and the player he 'bound to' collapsed.

Not a fan of Adam Byrne being out of the squad entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

SOB one.....sod it anyway.

Ruddock starting - he deserves it.

Buer wrote: »
    That's a huge blow. The pendulum has swung significantly back towards Clermont.

I think they've made the right call by picking Ruddock, though.

The knock on impact is massive. Changes the dynamic of our bench completely. We've now lost Healy and SOB in the space of 48 hours.

I wonder if the loss of impact on the bench might have influenced Strauss starting. Maybe move Cronin to the bench to increase our options in the final 20 minutes.

Clegg wrote: »

Wow, I saw Ross Byrne's name and processed it as Adam.

That's a harsh call on Adam.

Clegg wrote: »

Neither am I, very disappointed at that tbh.

I think the starting XV is fine but the impact from the bench in the pack has taken a bit of a pasting. Gone from Cronin/VdF/Ruddock/Healy to Cronin/VdF/Moloney/Dooley.

• Advertisement

Is Debaty injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I've lost a lot of the confidence I had about our ability to win this one seeing those 2 line ups. Missing Murphy, Heaslip and now SOB from our back row is frightening. Thank God we have the depth there that we do. Losing Healy on top of those is massive as well. That's a hell of a lot of experience out of the pack. I don't see where we can win this now unfortunately. We've almost no impact from the bench really either.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I've lost a lot of the confidence I had about our ability to win this one seeing those 2 line ups. Missing Murphy, Heaslip and now SOB from our back row is frightening. Thank God we have the depth there that we do. Losing Healy on top of those is massive as well. That's a hell of a lot of experience out of the pack. I don't see where we can win this now unfortunately. We've almost no impact from the bench really either.

"There comes a time in every man's life when man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

molloyjh wrote: »
    We've almost no impact from the bench really either.

Cronin and VdF aren't exactly bad impact options, and JGP can speed things up if we need him to (hopefully it'll be the good JGP and not the sh*t one). The rest are a bit 'meh' though, agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Wow, I saw Ross Byrne's name and processed it as Adam.

That's a harsh call on Adam.
    Not harsh at all. We are going to be under serious pressure on Sunday and his defense is not up to it. McFadden has looked very sharp in recent games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is Debaty injured?

I can't find anything after a quick google but perhaps he's down the pecking order. He's 35 and leaving at the end of the season.

If there was no procedural issue with the citing it's usually fruitless making an appeal and at this stage it would interrupt preparation so they left it.

With previous citing's they've certainly done their utmost to contest the ruling but this is the only time I've heard of that senior players are calling BS.

Also, he didn't charge into anything, he was already at the breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kauto wrote: »
    Not harsh at all. We are going to be under serious pressure on Sunday and his defense is not up to it. McFadden has looked very sharp in recent games.

He was trusted against Wasps, possibly the team with the best attack in the competition. I think it's harsh, and a very negative call. I don't see what impact Zane offers from the bench. Adam could come on and win the game potentially.

Whats the story about picking Leavy over VDF? Is it because Leo is looking for pace off the bench and VDF that bit quicker?

• Advertisement

He was trusted against Wasps, possibly the team with the best attack in the competition. I think it's harsh, and a very negative call. I don't see what impact Zane offers from the bench. Adam could come on and win the game potentially.
    In his brief time on the pitch against Wasps he fell off a few tackles, one particular bad one if i recall correctly.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Whats the story about picking Leavy over VDF? Is it because Leo is looking for pace off the bench and VDF that bit quicker?

I think Leavy is a little bit more effective against more physical opposition. But who knows really.

Jaysus our back row options are good though. I can't wait to see how they get on.

Got that wrong on SOB, must have been something fairly late in the day as he was in the team on Tuesday and no word of a change late Wednesday.

It's because Leavy has been fooking savage this season and VdF was unlucky to get injured at a really bad time.

Think we have a massive chance. If we can go into the last 10 Mins within a score i would fancy us to come out on top. I think we should be looking to target Rougerie. 36 Years old. Hopefully Ringrose can get plenty of chances to run at him!!

Leavy is having every bit as good a season as VdF. Doesn't have two great performances against the All Blacks to his name like VdF, but his performances for Leinster this season have been excellent.

• Advertisement

Don't worry lads, it sounds like SOB is just a tight hamstring and he's a good chance of being back for the big game against Glasgow next weekend. Probably not worth risking him against a team like Clermont anyway, give the young lads a runout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Out of the Leinster Rugby 23:

70% (16) have represented Ireland;
    61% (14) have only ever played for Leinster;
    65% (15) were developed in Leinster;
    74% (17) were developed in Ireland; and
    83% (19) are Ireland eligible.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster lose 2 points from the bookies after teams named... go from +2 to +4

i certainly think we have the upper hand in midfield in regards to guile and speed.
    I still call this as a one score game, hopefully to leinster and not hopefully balanced on a poor referee call.

edit: and we've better goal kickers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Are we missing a trick not having Byrne up against Abendanon. Has a good advantage in size though Abendanon is a fine player in his own right.

Winters wrote: »
    Out of the Leinster Rugby 23:

70% have represented Ireland;
    61% have only ever played for Leinster;
    65% were developed in Leinster;
    74% were developed in Ireland; and
    83% are Ireland eligible.

Would be interesting to see a similar breakdown of Clermont's, They've at least 8 eligible players in the starting 15.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement