Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice] Academic CV expectations

Options
  • 21-12-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi. I have recently switched from industry to academia. I am just looking for some general advice, or perhaps a pointer to a template, about academic vs industry CVs suitable for research or lecturing in Ireland. Googling this topic returns some awful guff and is very American-centric! My 'industry' CV is around 4 pages long and is sectioned as Personal Details/Work Experience/Skills/Education. Not sure if this is too long. I have gone with Personal Details/Education/Publications/Conferences&Seminars/Work Experience (20 years in industry summarised in 5 lines!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

It all depends on the job you're applying for. There are several positions that are looking for people to bridge this gap between industry and academia, such as Tech Transfer and Business Development.
    Full time teaching positions don't allow for a lot of research in the first year so it's useful to have a plan.
    Where are you going to start and what existing groups could you align to?....the strength in numbers approach (working with existing centres/groups) is probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The job spec is your first port of call and is what recruiters use when shortlisting. What I write below is for a position in an Institute of Technology.

So, in this order:

Personal details - 1-2 lines. Include physical address and email address (they usually have a legal obligation to write to you on any matter relating to your application, so a postal address is necessary).

Number 2 - education details, highest education first (if you are in the process of studying for a masters or PhD, this goes first, even if you haven't finished. Make sure to put in a completion date). DO NOT put in professional certs or anything like that here - strictly academic qualifications only.

Next, industry body membership and professional certs.

Research next (if any, don't worry if you don't have any)

RELEVANT work experience next. I cant emphasise this enough. Don't put in the fact you worked in Xtravision or the like. Seriously. Keep descriptions brief and succinct and listing key skills.

Referees last.

And keep it to 2 pages, max.

Notwithstanding above, most, if not all, IoT's use and online application system, so a CV would not be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

IoTs are exactly what I'm considering. I'm a bit off applying for fulltime positions yet but need one for some part-time lecturing. I'm using LaTeX. Not sure if pdf is the preferred format but makes a nice looking cv! Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah LaTex. I had a rather awkward situation recently on an interview panel where I did a particularly bad job of explaining my preference for LaTex. I just kept on diggin....

Go with PDF, trust me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Tom Dunne wrote:
    Ah LaTex. I had a rather awkward situation recently on an interview panel where I did a particularly bad job of explaining my preference for LaTex. I just kept on diggin....

Tom Dunne wrote:
    Go with PDF, trust me.

I trust you! All PDF from now on... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If it is for a job spec, write a bespoke letter and CV for the job.

Look at the essential criteria and make sure you evidence all the essential criteria.

Then look at the desirable qualifications and evidence how you meet as many of these as possible.

Also make it clear how long your relevent work experience is and if you have been teaching previously duration and number of hours per week.

Think of the person short listing the duration of all your work experience should be obvious and the levels and your awards should be obvious and easy to score.

If the shortlister has to do a lot of digging to rule you in, this is not great.

If you can give me some ideas of the area your experience is in, I might be able to give more specific advice.

Relevant Research and publications should be given and as Tom said your expected completion date for anything in progress.

Advertisement