Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASRPC EGM (See post #19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

jb88 wrote: »
    But on the question of logic, binary answers are not always what matter. But I hope your one year in the NASRPC after a long absence brings some sense to it now.

I would trust in the guidance of the NASRPC as im sure they have Gallery shooting at the core of their agenda as it is their money maker after all.

Could you please explain the section in bold?

As I said before I was turned off actively shooting for a while because of attitudes that were present.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Could you please explain the section in bold?

As I said before I was turned off actively shooting for a while because of attitudes that were present.

By your question I have to ask what you think is involved in competitive shooting in Ireland?
    Have you ever been to an NASRPC Competition?

By your question I have to ask what you think is involved in competitive shooting in Ireland?
    Have you ever been to an NASRPC Competition?

Yes I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

But on the question of logic, binary answers are not always what matter. But I hope your one year in the NASRPC after a long absence brings some sense to it now.

I would trust in the guidance of the NASRPC as im sure they have Gallery shooting at the core of their agenda as it is their money maker after all.

Does anyone understand what this person is saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

badaj0z wrote: »

I reckon I do.

He reckons that him & approx 19 others are gallery shooting in Ireland & how dare anyone else dare to run it while they sulk because they were voted out as the leading lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I reckon I do.

He reckons that him & approx 19 others are gallery shooting in Ireland & how dare anyone else dare to run it while they sulk because they were voted out as the leading lights.

Do you honestly think that the objections to this EGM and the new Constitution are sour grapes?

My disappointment is with the way this Constitution is being pushed through because I believe that the rules for doing this type of thing aren't being followed. It looks like the NASRPC are making up rules to suit themselves. It's certainly not sour grapes on my part. I have no connection to the old commmittee apart from competing against most of them. But equally I've also competed against most of the new committee and personally I've nothing against any of them. And whatever way this goes, I still won't have anything against them.

That said, I don't believe that this new proposed Constitution is a good document and I don't think that the NASRPC committee are acting in the best interests of all shooters. It is undemocratic and will be taking power away from individual shooters and putting it in the hands of about 15 people.

Like I've said before, I'd accept this new Constitution if everybody voted on it at an AGM but the way this is being introduced is (in my opinion) against the rules and underhanded.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that the objections to this EGM and the new Constitution are sour grapes?

Erm no :)

This was posted as a reaction to jb88's post
    badaj0z wrote: »

To which I replied
    I reckon I do.

Highlighted important word.

'Twasn't aimed at you. I know why you're opposed you've said it so many times I'm not likely to forget it.

Others, including myself, have posted their thoughts too. jb88 has more than once posted elitist BS in his posts that have alienated a lot of "neutrals" and wannabe gallery shooters like myself hence my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭SVI40

Okay, my 2c worth.

Each affiliated club will have 1 vote. I'd assume that any issues raised that require a vote would be circulated by the club reps to their club members / committee, and asked how that club should vote. Said rep would then cast his club vote in the manner the club members / committee agreed upon.

I personally do not see any loss in democracy happening.

SVI40 wrote: »
    Okay, my 2c worth.

Each affiliated club will have 1 vote. I'd assume that any issues raised that require a vote would be circulated by the club reps to their club members / committee, and asked how that club should vote. Said rep would then cast his club vote in the manner the club members / committee agreed upon.

A valid point IF clubs ask their members what they want/think and a vote is taken. Or may people see more of the usual. Namely a certain few dciding what everyone wants without consultation.

One concern I'd have is aren't clubs limited in their motions at an AGM? Restricts democracy surely?

SVI40 wrote: »
    Okay, my 2c worth.

There is only one vote that will take place at the EGM. It's either accept the proposed Constitution or reject it. Nothing else can be voted upon. At an AGM there will probably be lots of motions to be discussed and voted upon.

I hear what you are saying regarding the rep casting his vote in the manner club members/committee agree upon but I do see downfalls in that and I do believe it is slightly less democratic. I'm not very eloquent so hopefully you'll get the gist of what I'm saying below.

People's opinions aren't necessarily set in stone. In fact they shouldn't be. You are supposed to vote in the way that you believe is in your/shooters best interests based on the information that you have available. Usually there are discussions on the motion/s at an AGM or an EGM and the information received there should form the basis for which way people will vote. Sending a rep to a meeting with instructions to vote a certain way means that his/her vote is preordained. They are supposed to vote the way they were told to vote. What happens if the rep learns, through the discussions at the AGM or EGM, a critical piece of information that he or his clubmates didn't know beforehand (this can often be the case at meetings)? Maybe this critical piece of information would sway people's vote. But his clubmates aren't there and therefore don't have this new information to base their decision on. Therefore the club rep is in a bit of a conundrum, isn't he. What way does the rep vote in those circumstances? I know I'm stretching things slightly with this example but those circumstances are possible. This is why I don't think a club rep is an exact substitute for everybody getting to vote on the topic.

In short, I believe it is a little bit more democratic to have everybody vote on issues rather than just having one club rep vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭SVI40

Valid points BC.

Yep very valid point BC & I've seen same to happen in AGMs of my local gun clubs now that you mention it.

Yep very valid point BC & I've seen same to happen in AGMs of my local gun clubs now that you mention it.

Sure isnt that the fault of your local club and not a national one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Everyone gets a vote at the meeting.

Eg. its goes 151 - 149 Motion carried

the One club one vote thing?

Club 1 gets a vote based on numbers that voted - eg - 154 yes - 146 no - club decides to YAY on everyones behalf.
    Club 2 also members votes - eg 147 yes - 153 no - club decides to NAY

Club 3 members votes - eg 150 yes - 150 no - ? deciding vote? who gets it? Is there a revote? Is it open to all club members or just those that shoot GR and Pistol?

or should the every club votes be tallied Y/N and then a decision cast, that way everyone gets their say.

So yes 154 + 147 + 150 = 451 Yes
    no 146 + 153 + 150 = 449 NO

Should a new piece of information be fowarded at a meeting, then the point should be muted and not voted upon until everyone is in the picture.

Sure isnt that the fault of your local club and not a national one?

Your not aware many local gun clubs are also part of a national setup obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

NASRPC - EGM is this Sunday the 29th of January 2017 at 3pm in The Radisson Blu Hotel in Athlone.

They don't do much advertising for this Clive - they should be shouting it from the rooftops and inviting everyone to attend even if they say we can't vote. Why do you ask yourself are they not? Is there something they're hiding from? Are they afraid of backlash? Do they have a back door to run through?

:-) Guess I'll find out tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As the saying goes

"the Truth is out there"

clivej wrote: »
    As the saying goes

"the Truth is out there"

But the question remains.

Will you hear it?

LB6 wrote: »
    They don't do much advertising for this Clive - they should be shouting it from the rooftops and inviting everyone to attend even if they say we can't vote. Why do you ask yourself are they not? Is there something they're hiding from? Are they afraid of backlash? Do they have a back door to run through?

:-) Guess I'll find out tomorrow :-)

LB6- asking the questions that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

D-Day

Constitution changed. 13-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Like the yanks ye can only blame yourselves 😂

BillBen wrote: »

I think one side didn't understand the support.

Were you there?

Were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

BillBen wrote: »

How did your club vote BB?

Were you there?

What has that got to do with anything?

What has that got to do with anything?

Jaysus, you are very defensive. I just asked a question.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, you are very defensive. I just asked a question.

And sure I just replied.

Advertisement