Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company i work for called my dyslexia a medical issue.

Options
  • 21-12-2016 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i had a metting yesterday with my manager where i told them i have dyslexia as had to in case of spelling mistakes and so on with little grammar errors.

Basically in the meeting the manager called my dyslexia a medical issue and i am quite upset about it as i have been someone who was put down for years in school and so on with it and been told its a medical issue basically to me means a i am a bit mental or along the grounds of that.

I am wondering would i be wrong to make a Complaint to there Sr manager over this as i am quite upset over this as its something i cant help that i have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would suggest that this definition was well-meaning, but utterly clumsy and incompetent.

So rather than make a complaint, make it known that you feel the term is derogatory and you are uncomfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Is it not a good thing that they see it as a medical issue. Means that they have to make provisions for it and you can't be fired because of it.

What would you refer to it as normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi guys i had a metting yesterday with my manager where i told them i have dyslexia as had to in case of spelling mistakes and so on with little grammar errors.

Basically in the meeting the manager called my dyslexia a medical issue and i am quite upset about it as i have been someone who was put down for years in school and so on with it and been told its a medical issue basically to me means a i am a bit mental or along the grounds of that.

I am wondering would i be wrong to make a Complaint to there Sr manager over this as i am quite upset over this as its something i cant help that i have.

Would you have preferred to be referred to as having a learning or reading disability? "Medical issue" is a generic and to many, a non offensive way of acknowledging that you have a medical reason for the mistakes you made.It is non descriptive and polite. If you do not feel it is a disability or a medical issue, then you are asking your employer to judge your work on its merits.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would suggest that this definition was well-meaning, but utterly clumsy and incompetent.

So rather than make a complaint, make it known that you feel the term is derogatory and you are uncomfortable with it.

"Utterly clumsy and incompetent"? As opposed to the medical definition which describes it as being a reading/learning disability? I think "medical issue" shows a much higher degree of tact than telling someone that you are aware that they are disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would consider my dyslexia as something that just makes me spell bad thats it and not as any kind of issue what so ever. AS i don't think its a Medical issue as it has never stooped me from doing anything in my life college, work you name it.

Never in my life it has been considered a medical issue and i would not consider it just a bit upset that she thinks its a medical issue as i would not consider it that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Never in my life it has been considered a medical issue and i would not consider it just a bit upset that she thinks its a medical issue as i would not consider it that at all.

What you consider your condition to be and it's actual definition may differ. Your manager may have used the wrong term or description but do you really feel it's worthy of a compliant? Maybe speak to the manager again and explain exactly how dyslexia actually affects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I would consider my dyslexia as something that just makes me spell bad thats it and not as any kind of issue what so ever. AS i don't think its a Medical issue as it has never stooped me from doing anything in my life college, work you name it.

If it is not an issue why bother to bring it up at all.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    What you consider your condition to be and it's actual definition may differ. Your manager may have used the wrong term or description but do you really feel it's worthy of a compliant? Maybe speak to the manager again and explain exactly how dyslexia actually affects you.

I told her and she did not care how it effects me as i got quite upset in that meeting as it was about me thinking outside of the box to fix issues that they where not happy with.
    big syke wrote: »
    If it is not an issue why bother to bring it up at all.

As i don't like to be insulted over something that i wish i do not have on a daly bases

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I told her and she did not care how it effects me as i got quite upset in that meeting as it was about me thinking outside of the box to fix issues that they where not happy with.

As i don't like to be insulted over something that i wish i do not have on a daly bases

So you don't have control over it and are being insulted therefore it is an issue.

Would you rather it be described as a learning difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

So would you rather she said it's a learning disability? Would that have made you feel better? As for her not caring, insensitive perhaps but she's your manager not your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Did you get a formal diagnosis from a psychologist OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you don't think that it is relevant to your work, then you would not have even told your manager about it. The fact that you told them means you are looking for some special treatment due to it.

Your employer has a legal duty to make reasonable provision to accommodate any disability which an employer has. If you didn't have this medical issue, its likely you would be getting some kind of warning for making mistakes.

I told the manager it as it takes time for me to write down details from people on the phone and they where not happy it takes me 1 min longer then others. I said i sadly cant help that as i need to get the person to spell there name out for me

I told the manager it as it takes time for me to write down details from people on the phone and they where not happy it takes me 1 min longer then others. I said i sadly cant help that as i need to get the person to spell there name out for me

Unless they are aware that you have medical issue/dyslexia, your inability to accurately record written details may be mistakenly construed as carelessness or lack of interest.

I really can't see why this caused offence or why you deem it worthy of a complaint. It seems like you want to deny you have a disability even though it is effecting your work and is being noticed by management. Dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of, by informing your employer they will now make allowances for it and cannot discriminate against you on the grounds of disability.

they where not happy it takes me 1 min longer then others
    i got quite upset in that meeting as it was about me thinking outside of the box to fix issues that they where not happy with
    If you didn't have this medical issue, its likely you would be getting some kind of warning for making mistakes.

It's likely they were getting some kind of warning.

OP, it sounds as if you were called into a meeting to address a problem, mentioned you had dyslexia and they're addressing this issue .... and you want to complain about it?

It's likely they were getting some kind of warning.

OP, it sounds as if you were called into a meeting to address a problem, mentioned you had dyslexia and they're addressing this issue .... and you want to complain about it?

Didnt get a warning meeting was over something else e.g. moving dept.

Didnt get a warning meeting was over something else e.g. moving dept.

Fair enough, but what does this mean?
    I got quite upset in that meeting as it was about me thinking outside of the box to fix issues that they where not happy with

How did the meeting end?

Fair enough, but what does this mean?

Moving to a Dept that i can think out of the box to do things.
    How did the meeting end?

Flat out refused and told i have to stop thinking out of the box.

Flat out refused and told i have to stop thinking out of the box.

So you wanted to move to another department where you "can think out of the box to do things" and they refused?

Don't you think it's possible you're more upset about that than their use of the phrase "medical issue"?

So you wanted to move to another department where you "can think out of the box to do things" and they refused?

Don't you think it's possible you're more upset about that than their use of the phrase "medical issue"?

I am upset with both issues. As i am told to stop thinking of the big picture with fixing things.

And the medical issue was brought up by the manager in the same meeting.

• Advertisement

You covered a lot of ground in that meeting.

Look, you can complain if you want but I really can't see what you would complain about. I'm not seeing the offence in "medical issue" but if you prefer "learning disability" or "cognitive disorder", work away.

In the meantime, re-read davo10's post. They know about "it" now, it's how they proceed that's more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Listen folks we need to look at the bigger issue here.
    Stop making an issue of 'OP' Whether you are or whether your not.
    This is the problem with issues like this in this ever so caring country.
    Lets forget about work for a minute and Look at the word 'dylexia'
    To any person suffering from this its a big issue,,, lets all take this on board.
    Secondly OP this is nothing to be ashamed of and i am disappointed the statement was made to you in that way.
    People have to be careful how to address problems like this as sensitivity can be a major problem.

I think a little more respect for his problem could have gone a long way.

• Administrators Posts: 14,068 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I have a "medical issue" it's called Asthma. That in no way means to me that I'm a bit mental or along the grounds of that?? 'Medical issue' does not mean 'mental issue'. You clearly have a hang up about your dyslexia and take any reference to it as an attack on you.

Yes, you would be wrong. What exactly would be the complaint? I can't help having asthma. I don't get upset if someone mentions it, calls it a medical issue, or makes allowances for me not being able to do more physical work.

If you would prefer your dyslexia to be classed as something else, then go to the manager in question and let her know. I think she'd be fine with that. But I, and others, don't really understand what it is you are so upset about, and what exactly your complaint would be.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Listen folks we need to look at the bigger issue here.
    Stop making an issue of 'OP' Whether you are or whether your not.
    This is the problem with issues like this in this ever so caring country.
    Lets forget about work for a minute and Look at the word 'dylexia'
    To any person suffering from this its a big issue,,, lets all take this on board.
    Secondly OP this is nothing to be ashamed of and i am disappointed the statement was made to you in that way.
    People have to be careful how to address problems like this as sensitivity can be a major problem.

I think a little more respect for his problem could have gone a long way.

Considering i wish people will look at it for equality in the work place as people with dyslexia are no different to people who don't have it where just different kind of workers and work on where we are stronger to get around or learning disability to be the best posable worker. This is where my thinking outside the box ideas come from as i have had to do this for my life to work past it and push myself to limit to be the best i can posable be.

I just wish it would be the same way looked at as gender equality now. People have learning disability we wont to be treated the same as everyone else this is why i have a issue with being told its a medical disability. I wont to be considered the same not be considered it to be a disability. Like this be the same bringing up in a meting calling someone who is gay having a medical disability. I wont to be treated the same in the work place just like someone who is gay

Like this be the same bringing up in a meting calling someone who is gay having a medical disability. I wont to be treated the same in the work place just like someone who is gay

No it's not!!! Being gay should no way impact on how you do your work. Having dyslexia does impact on it. And now that work are aware of it, they might be able to make steps towards making it easier for you.

No it's not!!! Being gay should no way impact on how you do your work. Having dyslexia does impact on it. And now that work are aware of it, they might be able to make steps towards making it easier for you.

Sadly to some companys being gay is a issue with the way you do your work. IT is considered the same in my eye. Like some people would not like working with a gay person and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just wish it would be the same way looked at as gender equality now. People have learning disability we wont to be treated the same as everyone else this is why i have a issue with being told its a medical disability. I wont to be considered the same not be considered it to be a disability. Like this be the same bringing up in a meting calling someone who is gay having a medical disability. I wont to be treated the same in the work place just like someone who is gay

Ah here, you're actually just talking nonsense now.

Maybe, maybe not. But the gay person would still be able to carry out their work in exactly the same way as everyone else. A dyslexic person cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Sadly to some companys being gay is a issue with the way you do your work. IT is considered the same in my eye. Like some people would not like working with a gay person and so on.

Wow.

• Advertisement

Maybe, maybe not. But the gay person would still be able to carry out their work in exactly the same way as everyone else. A dyslexic person cannot.

Thats basically calling me stupid and not been able to do a job that i am highly skilled for on paper and have the resulted to prove it.

I am wondering op do you have a issue with people with learning disabilitys ?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement