Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company i work for called my dyslexia a medical issue.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Considering i wish people will look at it for equality in the work place as people with dyslexia are no different to people who don't have it where just different kind of workers and work on where we are stronger to get around or learning disability to be the best posable worker. This is where my thinking outside the box ideas come from as i have had to do this for my life to work past it and push myself to limit to be the best i can posable be.

I just wish it would be the same way looked at as gender equality now. People have learning disability we wont to be treated the same as everyone else this is why i have a issue with being told its a medical disability. I wont to be considered the same not be considered it to be a disability. Like this be the same bringing up in a meting calling someone who is gay having a medical disability. I wont to be treated the same in the work place just like someone who is gay

And your employet might well say ....

Ok so you want to be treated just like everyone else , thats great, have a verbal warning for being slow. Make sure your performance improves over the next month or it will turn into a written warning. And if you're still too slow a month after that we won't be able to keep you on. Just like anyone else.

Also regarding this "thinking outside the box" malarkey: give it up. We have procedures in place to deliver quality products, great customer service and make a profit. When you think outside the box, aka don't follow the procedures, you put some of these in danger. You may not realise the consequences of not following a procedure, but your colleagues who have to clean up the mess you leave will. When you have learned more about how the company operates, we will involve you in procedure design. But for now, do what you're told.

Is this how youd like your employer to phrase things? Really?

• Administrators Posts: 14,068 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Excuse me?? Where did I call anyone stupid? You are the one who says it takes you 1 minute longer to take things down on the phone, because of your dyslexia. That means dyslexia impacts how you can do your job.

Being gay doesn't impact how you do your job.

I think you hear things and then reinterpret them in your head to mean something that wasn't said.

Go make your complaint, OP. I'm off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    And with that we close this thread. OP you've been given advice on what to do and you're free to take it or not but this thread is done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement