If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query - Onkyo tx-NR515 and 4K

Options
  • 18-12-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Just some advice needed, as I'm out of the loop regarding 4K.
    Basically have the onkyo above with Jamo speakers and sub.

I have upgraded from sky hd to sky Q and also just got a new 4K tv.

So basically the onkyo doesn't support 4K HDMI passthrough from what I can gather.
    Which is what the family would be doing with sky Q for general watching.
    Where as I use the speakers when I'm watching something.
    So I can't find any info about if it supports 4K inputs.
    All I can see from reading online is that it supports 4K upscaling from lower resolutions.

I will probably be adding a 4K bluray and PS4 later so will I need a new receiver or is the onkyo still up to the job?

Also do I need new hdmi cables?
    Also just after reading about hdcp2.2

Which is what prompted me to make this thread , any advice on what that is in laymans terms would be good.
    As from what I read older equipment won't be compatible with that.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

XsApollo wrote: »
    Just some advice needed, as I'm out of the loop regarding 4K.
    Basically have the onkyo above with Jamo speakers and sub.

I have upgraded from sky hd to sky Q and also just got a new 4K tv.

So basically the onkyo doesn't support 4K HDMI passthrough from what I can gather.
    Which is what the family would be doing with sky Q for general watching.
    Where as I use the speakers when I'm watching something.
    So  I can't find any info about if it supports 4K inputs.
    All I can see from reading online is that it supports 4K upscaling from lower resolutions.

I will probably be adding a 4K bluray and PS4 later so will I need a new receiver or is the onkyo still up to the job?

Also do I need new hdmi cables?
    Also just after reading about hdcp2.2

Which is what prompted me to make this thread , any advice on what that is in laymans  terms would be good.
    As from what I read older equipment won't be compatible with that.
    Hi XsApollo.

Apologies for the massive delay.

The 515 would not do 4k pass through unfortunately so a new receiver will be required to get the best from ant further 4k upgrade or purchases.
    Onkyo's website state:
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note: 4K video playback requires a 4K-compatible TV. HDMI pass-through of 4K content from source devices is not supported.[/font]

You will also require new HDMI cables if your old one are not 4K or 2.2 (2.2 is needed for HDR - All products must be HDCP2.2 for HDR to work).
    HDCP 2.2 is really designed for 4K content, so you’re fine if you think you’re going to stick with 1080p all the way. Put another way, as long as it’s 1080p content, even if there’s a mix of HDCP 2.2 and non-2.2 devices in the chain, you’re safe.
    But there will be a problem if you’ve a 4K source device (e.g., a Blu-ray player) or service that’s HDCP 2.2-compliant and is trying to send protected 4K signals to a non-HDCP-2.2 4K TV. The TV would most likely show a blank screen. To make matters worse, non-HDCP-2.2 devices can’t simply be upgraded to support HDCP 2.2, because specific hardware is required.
    In short, if you’re buying a new 4K TV (or home theater projector or receiver today, it’s of your best interest to make sure that it supports HDCP 2.2. While most name-brands’ recent offerings have it, it’s still good to verify it either by checking the specs sheet or with the salesperson. Many consumers like to buy from second or third-tier brands because they’re usually more affordable; and while there’s nothing wrong with that, be mindful that such TVs often lack the latest features like HDCP 2.2.
    For early adopters who’ve bought a non-HDCP-2.2 4K TV, well, just keep all these in mind, and don’t be too surprised if some 4K content don’t display properly on your TV some point down the road. Once the problem crops up too frequently, you’d know that it’s time to get a new TV.
    HDMI 2.0 and 2.0A
    Another feature or technology that you’ll inevitably come across when buying a 4K TV is HDMI 2.0 Early and cheap 4K TVs typically come with HDMI 1.4, and while it supports 4K, it has a framerate limit. To be more precise: 30 frames per second for 3,840 x 2,160 and 24fps for 4,096 x 2,160.
    HDMI 2.0 is designed to support higher bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) than 1.4, and as a result, it’s able to do 4K at framerates up to 60fps. Other features include options for the Rec. 2020 color space, 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling, up to 32 channels of audio, 21:9 aspect ratio, dual video streams, and improved 3D and CEC functions. HDMI 2.0 is also backwards compatible with HDMI 1.x.
    I hope this may  make things a little clearer.
    Any questions drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Thanks for the info,
    Will return here when I am getting the new receiver.

Thanks for the info,
    Will return here when I am getting the new receiver.
    Hey XsApollo.

No worries at all.

Drop us a post or PM when your ready :)

Ok I am back :-P
    I've been looking and thought I had chosen what I wanted, then discovered Dolby atmos which sort of threw another spanner in the works.

So I think I have decided on the
    Pioneer vsx 1131 ye have on your site.
    Just one question on your site it says it's
    7.2 or 5.2.2 atmos
    But I read a review that says it has 7.2 and 2 atmos.
    So is it a 7.2.2 setup?
    And there is 9 connection on the back in the photo also.

Thanks.

Ok I am back :-P
    I've been looking and thought I had chosen what I wanted, then discovered Dolby  atmos which sort of threw another spanner in the works.

So I think I have decided on the
    Pioneer vsx 1131  ye have on your site.
    Just one question on your site it says it's
    7.2 or 5.2.2 atmos
    But I read a review that says it has 7.2 and 2 atmos.
    So is it a 7.2.2 setup?
    And there is 9 connection on the back in the photo also.

Thanks.
    Hi XsApollo.

While it does have 9 speakers terminals it is only a 7.2 amp or 5.2.2 for Atoms.

The below is a link to the manual which shows the speaker positions and explains the use of the speaker terminals. Pages 3 to 12.
    http://www.richersounds.com/static/manuals/vsx-1131.pdf

For a 9.2 amp you need to go to the Denon AVRX4300 priced at £799.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx4300h/deno-avrx4300-blk

• Advertisement

Ok.
    9.2 is out of my price range.
    Think I am gonna go for the Denon avr-x2300
    Any boardsie deal going on that delivered to Clare :-)

Cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ok.
    9.2 is out of my price range.
    Think I am gonna go for the Denon avr-x2300
    Any boardsie deal going on that delivered to Clare :-)

Cheers.
    XsA,

Thanks for the post and the order :)  - the AVRX2300 is a great unit - we are quite tight on the AVRX2300 as it has been reduced from £499 to £399 already - but I've just taken another €20 off if for Paddy's week so it will be £399 / €479 ( the Euro price includes delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202128-avrx2300.aspx

http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2016/home-cinema-amplifiers

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.