Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current employment + sick leave, new job offer.

Options
  • 21-12-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Going anon for this.

So I am with my current employer for the last year and a half, got the job through a friend who worked in it but he and everyone who was there when I started have since were let go/left. Since then and even before I have really not liked the job its dull boring and an industry which I cant stand.
    The job itself is easy and I can do it with my eyes closed but its the management/ owner that have me in my current position, basically they are bullies and do everything they can to undermine and make you feel like a pos on their shoe, its awful, mind games, bullying, verbal abuse (but they see it as friendly banter...)

Anyway in the last few months I have been out sick with stress/ exhaustion, GP said take the time I need to find something else. So this brings me to the last 2 weeks I interviewed and was successful. Got offered a new job, even at a decent pay cut its better than illness benefit and going back to my current employer.

The new job wants a reference from my current employer and I have to hand in my notice to my current employer while I am out, I am just not sure what to do and what order to do the above in and how to address the notice letter to my current employer any tips suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Typically a new employer would only seek a reference from your current employer after you have left. Will they accept a reference from a previous employer, ie not your current one? 
    In terms of wording, a very simple note saying that you are giving notice that you are resigning with effect from x date. Wish them every success for the future and do not put anything negative in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am a night worker I get home between 3 and six most mornings depending on where in Ireland I am working. Is it legal for my office to call email me during there office hours of 8 to 4 as I do be in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I don't know about legal ramifications but you do have the option to not check your emails /answer your phone during your rest period after working nights . Unless you are being paid to be on call during the day in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi , I have a dilemma about similar situation. I am currently on sick leave ,because of pain and problems with my feet. My job demands 8 h standing and be on my feet so I had to go to doc and I am resting at home. But few months ago I finished my course for Admin support and I am looking for a new job. I am in my job over 10 years and I have to do 6 weeks notice as in my contract. If I would find another job, admin job can I ask my current employer to cut this notice period off for me to 2 weeks? All the positions I applied they don't wait for a new employee more then 2 weeks. Please advise me how can I sort it out. I wanna be fair to my old employer but I can't afford on 6 weeks notice when I will find a new job. Thank you

Advertisement