Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building my own cob home

Options
  • 21-12-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello!

I am currently looking to start the process of buying a piece of land here in Cork and building my own home out of cob!

Does anyone have any tips particularly with regards to getting planning permission for agricultural land in Cork? I'm looking at building a 1 storey building with 2 bedrooms, once this is built possibly extending to have another 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Thanks!

Also some shameless self advertising: gofundme.com/the-cob-building-project

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you google it, you come up with quite a few companies offering advice etc. in Ireland. Have you tried that route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I think the obvious way to start is by building and roofing a cob shed for use as storage on the project.

Without looking up any shameless self advertising links I assume that there will be a labour for learning aspect to this so a large separate site office and "learning center" (aka shed) might be a useful learning tool in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dutchrep

Deedsie wrote: »
    Probably not much help to you but might be if interest, there was an episode of Grand Designs a few years ago where an English guy built an enormous cob house over a few years.

Might be of interest to you.

Hi Deedsie,
    I was already interested in it, but that episode did indeed push me to investigate it more. I won't be building something that huge though! ;)
    Thanks everyone else, I will be looking that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Didn't Manchan Magan build one?....Incidentally, I did see a very nice one, with a built-in rocket stove oven /heating system, integrated into the walls. Built in the USA.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Didn't Manchan Magan build one?....Incidentally, I did see a very nice one, with a built-in rocket stove oven /heating system, integrated into the walls. Built in the USA.
    Hey Stovepipe,
    Yeah, I was actually looking at one of those built in to a tipi. Pretty impressive!
    Personally I'm thinking of just having a back boiler and underfloor heating. Seems less invasive than a RMH. I do like the idea that it can heat your bed though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you don't already have it you might find the book Building with Cob: A Step-by-step Guide by Adam Weismann and Katy Bryce useful.

We bought it when if first came out not done any cob building but the book is excellent - recommended.

my3cents wrote: »
    If you don't already have it you might find the book Building with Cob: A Step-by-step Guide by Adam Weismann and Katy Bryce useful.

We bought it when if first came out not done any cob building but the book is excellent - recommended.
    Hey,
    Thanks! Might order that one as well! Read some good things about it.
    I have got The Cob builders handbook and ordered the hand-sculpted house. The first one is very interesting, nice and simple but contains all the needed basics.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

The Hollies in Ballineen in West cork has cob houses and organises courses. They have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

what about that eco village in Cloughjordan? any cob houses there?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

Chexh out Colin and feile from mud and wood in Sligo. They are very knowledgeable in that area and have their own beautiful cob house .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

If you're still in the learning/ research stage I would definitely recommend buying 'The Handsculpted House' by Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley and Michael Smith.

I can imagine between finding a plot of land, purchasing, planning etc. it could be quite a while before your project is up and running but it would be great if you could keep this thread updated. When you're at the build stage I would love to help out if you could PM me when/ if you need a hand as I'm living in Cork myself and plan to build my own cob house if it's feasible in a few years time!

Good luck with everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 burke_d7

Hi I was wondering if you had any progress with your cob house / land? I was planning on doing something similar.

Hey Burke,

I haven't unfortunately. I've left Ireland behind altogether. The whole housing market issue was getting insane.

Niels

Advertisement