Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2017 - April 30th

Options
  • 21-12-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Sunday, April 30th will host a 6 mile, Half Marathon and of course the Marathon itself.

Going to be my 1st Marathon and 30th of April seems awfully close.

Who else is going to be getting involved?

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've run it the past two years, so I will do so again this year, but I'm not sure what I'll go for. Last year, I hadn't the training done so only did the 6 mile. This year, they are not target races, and there's a lot going on in Limerick that day, so I may just do the 6 and do it hard, rather than do the half easy.

It's one of the best nights out in Limerick with the Riverfest, so it's worth peoples while staying over the night before/of the race. A lot happening around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

chrislad wrote: »
    I've run it the past two years, so I will do so again this year, but I'm not sure what I'll go for. Last year, I hadn't the training done so only did the 6 mile. This year, they are not target races, and there's a lot going on in Limerick that day, so I may just do the 6 and do it hard, rather than do the half easy.

It's one of the best nights out in Limerick with the Riverfest, so it's worth peoples while staying over the night before/of the race. A lot happening around the city.

Yea the Saturday is a very good day in town as well. I doubt I'll have the energy for much revelry after the Marathon but I will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Signed up there for the marathon - first one since Dublin 14 years ago. Now have 16 weeks to get up to speed!

Primary aim is to get sub 3:30, will assess if 3:15 is achievable in a few weeks - can happily knock out a 1:45 half as a training run, close to 1:30 flat out.

Anyone know if a time on this course be valid for Boston entry?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Unable to take part in this years Great Limerick Run. Half marathon entry for GLR for sale at reduced price, this is permissible at this stage, proof available, early bird €50 til start Feb then price goes up to €57 with reg fees. My price €40. Please p.m. If interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Why don't they have a 10k race instead of 6 mile? 6 mile is a stupid distance and I think they would get more people if it was advertised as a 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Why don't they have a 10k race instead of 6 mile? 6 mile is a stupid distance and I think they would get more people if it was advertised as a 10k.

Simply because U18's are not permitted to run in races of 10k and above. The organiser is ensuring he maximises his market by calling it a 6 mile (9.65k) race.
    Whether you agree with the ethics of this is up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Did the marathon last year ( my first, done another two since ) and went into it recovering from a bad cold. Didn't go quite to plan but I got over the line. Going to do the marathon again this year, I have some unfinished business. Going to make a weekend of it with the family. Looking forward to it.

Anyone know if they will let you delegate someone else to pick up your race number at the expo?

I know of quite a few like myself who are about and hour's drive away, intend to head down on the morning of the race, but could do without making the return trip the day before as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't think it's enforced in practice, picking it up yourself, people I know have collected for other's and not been questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Does anyone know what time the half marathon starts, I've checked the website and unless I'm missing something it only seems to give the start time of the full marathon?

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the half marathon starts, I've checked the website and unless I'm missing something it only seems to give the start time of the full marathon?

The Marathon is starting at 9am, the half Marathon is at 11.45am and the 6 mile at 1.30pm.

The 1st half of the Marathon course closes at 12pm, the course closes at 4.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ooter wrote: »

The pages need to be edited :)

The FAQs all say "Full marathon FAQs", but they are page-specific.
    Marathon starts at 9:00
    Half starts at 11:45
    6 mile starts at 1:30
    (and for some reason, the 6 mile page has a picture of a marathon pacer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I took from the website that the marathon started at 1145. :confused:
    Got an email back from GLR and they said the HM starts at 1030.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

I ran the full race last year and was a lot of fun. Its a really nice run out around the Uni but the speed bumps on the way home killed my calf muscles so be prepared for that, you can weave in an out of them at the center or take the route closest to the foot path.

Limerick is absolutely buzzing that weekend so as Chris said don't miss out on riverfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Due to injury i'm not going to be able to make it this year.
    I see on the online page that it's simple to transfer my entry to someone else so if wanted - maybe donate a few quid to a charity in return.
    PM if interested.

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Supercell wrote: »
    Due to injury i'm not going to be able to make it this year.
    I see on the online page that it's simple to transfer my entry to someone else so if wanted - maybe donate a few quid to a charity in return.
    PM if interested.

Thanks.

Full or half?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

An File wrote: »
    Full or half?

It the full, though I imagine you can run the shorter distances on the day if you prefer?, maybe a previous runner has some info on that?
    My achilles/calf is injured so even the shorter distances are out for me unfortunately.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Lads,anyone hoping for a p.b this year might look elsewhere if doing the full.Half starts 10:30am this year.This will result in full runners gunning for 3:05 to 4 hours, running into the back of thousands of half runners in the rosbrien/greenfield area at the 14.5 mile mark.My work mate gunning for a sub 4 emailed them voicing his concerns,he was told it will only effect 18% of runners.BUll****.The sub 3 runners will probably be the only crew to avoid the maddness.

kerrylad1 wrote:
    Lads,anyone hoping for a p.b this year might look elsewhere if doing the full.Half starts 10:30am this year.This will result in full runners gunning for 3:05 to 4 hours, running into the back of thousands of half runners in the rosbrien/greenfield area at the 14.5 mile mark.My work mate gunning for a sub 4 emailed them voicing his concerns,he was told it will only effect 18% of runners.BUll****.The sub 3 runners will probably be the only crew to avoid the maddness.

Damn, was aiming for 3:15 - suppose I'll just have to target sub-3 now!

Seriously, I'll be emailing to point out the same. It they stick to this plan they are knowingly putting on a sub standard race for many doing the full marathon.

Come to think of it, this being the Munster Championships, the timing has a fair chance of disrupting those at the sharp end of the women's race - I would imagine Munster Athletics would have something to say on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

kerrylad1 wrote: »

4 Hour runners wont hit the half start until 11:00. Half marathon should be well gone. We might catch up with the tail half runners at the end. I agree it will be an issue for 3:00 (if marathon start gets delayed) to 3:15 runners.

If they are going to persist with the earlier start then 10:00 AM is a much better time.

• Advertisement

Am thinking that for a real challenge that I will 'go' with the 1'45 pacers for the 'half'. I've only done 2 official 'halves' and I was 1'53 last year. Think I'm in better shape now than then. So if I could stay with the 1'45 group, that would show 'real improvement'.

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Am thinking that for a real challenge that I will 'go' with the 1'45 pacers for the 'half'. I've only done 2 official 'halves' and I was 1'53 last year. Think I'm in better shape now than then. So if I could stay with the 1'45 group, that would show 'real improvement'.

The pacers are 1'30, 1'40, 1'50, 2, 2'10.

The 1'50 would be ideal, stick with them to the last few miles and kick on from there if you have something left?

That sounds pretty good. 1'40 might take a bit too much out of me too early, probably best to hold some fuel in reserve until later. I did 45'40 in a 10K recently so , would 1'40 be unrealistic ?. Anyway some improvement on 1'53 would be a good result :)

That sounds pretty good. 1'40 might take a bit too much out of me too early, probably best to hold some fuel in reserve until later. I did 45'40 in a 10K recently so , would 1'40 be unrealistic ?. Anyway some improvement on 1'53 would be a good result :)

It's hard for me to say, you would know best. I did a 47:44 10km in October last year, ran a HM in December then in 1:50:06. I went through 10km in 49:25 and struggled pretty badly in the 2nd half of the race.

How is your training going? What sort of mileage have you completed since the 10k (I was way too short of mileage between the two, it was my 1st HM so didn't really comprehend the work needed)? Breaking 1'50 should be relatively comfortable for you.

Mileage 'Higgins' has been around 18-20 miles per week. But it should be possible to increase it a little bit from now on, with the days being longer.

Mileage 'Higgins' has been around 18-20 miles per week. But it should be possible to increase it a little bit from now on, with the days being longer.

Best of luck with it, you are well on course to a new PB.

I might even start with the 1'40 then, that would be a big challenge :) but when I've gone out fast, I've tended to struggle later. Thinking of signing up for the Cork City half a month later, maybe :) Thanks Higgins and Good luck you too, what are you aiming for ?...

I might even start with the 1'40 then, that would be a big challenge :) but when I've gone out fast, I've tended to struggle later. Thinking of signing up for the Cork City half a month later, maybe :) Thanks Higgins and Good luck you too, what are you aiming for ?...

It will be my 1st marathon :eek: So aim to go out with the 4 hour pacers. If I break 4 for my 1st marathon I will be happy. It will be a year from when I started couch to 5k to 1st marathon so will be great.

Oh wow, very well done, well just to be going for, is well evidence of a very big change in lifestyle. I wasn't always 'active' either, so relate a bit , do keep us informed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

Oh wow, very well done, well just to be going for, is well evidence of a very big change in lifestyle. I wasn't always 'active' either, so relate a bit , do keep us informed :)

Try this online calculator, i think its pretty accurate http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-time-predictor

Advertisement