Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2017 - April 30th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks that looks great :) It''s predicted 1'40'46. Think I'll pace myself at 1'45 and maybe try to 'up the ante' in the last few miles if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Entry paid today :) Under 5 weeks to go!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be registered for the half as soon as I get paid this week!

Ran 10k on Saturday in 1:02:00, despite a heavy cold and 16 days without running. Hoping to break 2:05:00 for the half marathon and aim to get back under 1:55:00 by September. We'll see how that goes. It should be a great weekend for Limerick city anyway with the concert in King John's Castle that night as well.

Just under 4 weeks to go now, came up just short of a 20 mile run yesterday which went fairly well. How many typically tend to be in the marathon field? How is training going for everyone (6 mile, HM, M)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rossierunner

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Just under 4 weeks to go now, came up just short of a 20 mile run yesterday which went fairly well. How many typically tend to be in the marathon field? How is training going for everyone (6 mile, HM, M)?
    Hi....well done on the long one! I did 20 on sat, good to get it done....I think there is about 600-700 for marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

Hi....well done on the long one! I did 20 on sat, good to get it done....I think there is about 600-700 for marathon?

Yes I think around 650 finished it last year.

I did 18.5 miles on Sunday. I found the last third tough enough but I was happy enough overall.

Going to do 22.5 miles on Sunday and then start tapering. Happy enough with how the training is going so far. Did a half marathon 2 weeks ago and was fairly comfortable throughout and got a time of 1.26.55 so was delighted.

Will be my first marathon so just looking forward to hitting the start line at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Anyone hear anything about the course being changed from last year?

Going to do 22.5 miles on Sunday and then start tapering. Happy enough with how the training is going so far. Did a half marathon 2 weeks ago and was fairly comfortable throughout and got a time of 1.26.55 so was delighted.

Wow, that is an outstanding time, fair play. What are you looking at for the marathon.

HigginsJ wrote: »

Wow, that is an outstanding time, fair play. What are you looking at for the marathon.
    That is an incredible time, well done! I am beginning the taper this weekend with a 15 miles. I won't be breaking any speed records. Never done limerick before. Wld love to know about more about the route. Mailed them there to ask for a course profile and they said they will be issuing all that info soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Anyone hear anything about the course being changed from last year?

Just looked at the website and its the same as last year.

• Advertisement

That is an incredible time, well done! I am beginning the taper this weekend with a 15 miles. I won't be breaking any speed records. Never done limerick before. Wld love to know about more about the route. Mailed them there to ask for a course profile and they said they will be issuing all that info soon

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to go sub 3.15. The online calculators have told me I can and I have been training towards that. I haven't been hitting the targets on some of my longer runs but not too far off either.

I ran part of the route on Sunday. Went in O'Connell avenue, out the Condell road and back in the old Cratloe road. It was all relatively flat but a really nice run crossing the river twice.

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to go sub 3.15. The online calculators have told me I can and I have been training towards that. I haven't been hitting the targets on some of my longer runs but not too far off either.

I ran part of the route on Sunday. Went in O'Connell avenue, out the Condell road and back in the old Cratloe road. It was all relatively flat but a really nice run crossing the river twice.

I did a 15 miler 2 weeks ago where I ran down O'Connell street out by King Johns Castle, Thomond Park, back in by the Gaelic Grounds and around the North Circular road. There is a slight pull up past the Gaelic grounds but it is nothing major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks guys!

If you can run a 1.26 half your more than capable of running a sub 3.10 marathon. It being your first marathon it's all about enjoying the occasion and wanting to do another, so sub 3.15 might be the more sensible approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ger664 wrote: »

Pacing it this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I've done it the last 4 year's.There are a few Hill's from mile 21 to 24,nothing major,but on tired legs they can feel like mountains.Besides that,nothing major to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I was running the canal bank in Limerick this weekend and there's a 12 mile marker on the road adjacent to the canal. I am assuming it's part of the route for the full.
    The route for the last few years had went down Rhebogue Road and up into Pennywell.

It was right at this point. I can only assume it's going to loop back down the canal again ?

tang1 wrote: »
    Pacing it this year?

Yes 4 Hour atm

tang1 wrote: »
    Pacing it this year?

Yes 4 Hour atm
    Ooohh, hoping to get in just below the 4....don't be afraid to give me a big kick :)

Yes 4 Hour atm

Oh I will be in your group (for as long as possible!!)

I was running the canal bank in Limerick this weekend and there's a 12 mile marker on the road adjacent to the canal. I am assuming it's part of the route for the full.
    The route for the last few years had went down Rhebogue Road and up into Pennywell.

It was right at this point. I can only assume it's going to loop back down the canal again ?

Just heard that there is a course change and it will be on the website shortly. Not really bothered as long as its measured correctly.

• Advertisement

Just heard that there is a course change and it will be on the website shortly. Not really bothered as long as its measured correctly.

Ah ha, the plot thickens....

Will they be giving out gels at any of the water stations on the marathon course and if so what type of gels will they be?

Will they be giving out gels at any of the water stations on the marathon course and if so what type of gels will they be?
    Curious about this also

I just got an email back from them regarding drinks & gels -

"The sports drinks are Lucozade Isotonic at mile 6,12, and 20. There will be no gels."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone got a discount code?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikes76

Hi Guys

Anyone got any thoughts on not going with a pacer!
    I looking for towards PB (conditions permitting) and think I'm quicker by 5-7mins than the pacer based on training block and my marathon pace long runs.
    My fear is getting my pacing wrong (too fast - feel good factor etc.).
    I found the pacer last year excellent, really encouraging/experienced, but i suppose this year i need to do it without that crutch/assistance.

Any thoughts!

Ta

mikes76 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Anyone got any thoughts on not going with a pacer!
    I looking for towards PB (conditions permitting) and think I'm quicker by 5-7mins than the pacer based on training block and my marathon pace long runs.
    My fear is getting my pacing wrong (too fast - feel good factor etc.).
    I found the pacer last year excellent, really encouraging/experienced, but i suppose this year i need to do it without that crutch/assistance.

Any thoughts!

Ta

Run with a pacer up to half way and kick on from there maybe, allow them to tow you into the race if you will?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikes76

Yeah! I had that thought and ran negative splits (60 seconds) last year and maybe i'm over thinking it but to go with the pacer to halfway and then kick on would be an increase of about 25-30seconds (although realistically i would only increase by about 15 seconds) a mile over the last 13 miles seems like a recipe for disaster.
    I do find it difficult to shift gears after a prolonged period at a set pace.

Maybe over analysing, or maybe i just need to man up, set my pace/target and hope i fall in with 1 or 2 others to work with.

Getting close now. Taper starts next week. hope everyones training went to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerickrunner

there are some course changes on the website now for Full, Half and 6 mile - mainly around the last 6 miles - pretty much the opposite direction to previous years

The long drags from the Treaty Stone to Thomond Park is gone - doing the NCR the more difficult way - doing the hill at Gaelic grounds twice. On a positive note, there is a nice long straight finish in the Ennis road

• Advertisement

I've attempted to map the new course on Garmin Connect for the elevation reading etc. Its reading 26.6, so I've prob gone wrong on some out and back.
    Please forward any complaints in relation to my work to any random Government department :P:P:P

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14808300

Advertisement