Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2017 - April 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Will be coming through from Tipp town direction on the morning of the race - where would be best to park for getting to start?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerickrunner

garryowen might be handy to get away from and about 1 mile walk to start. Parkway shopping centre but thats about 1.5 miles walk. For 9am start you should be fine though anywhere. I got parking in Edward Street last year at 8.15am, 3min walk to start line

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerickrunner

courses get mapped not with GPS like Garmin etc as they are very inaccurate - there is a 5 meter error tolerance in consumer GPS devices - all those potential 5m intolerances add up over a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Will be coming through from Tipp town direction on the morning of the race - where would be best to park for getting to start?

You'll get parking on Mulgrave Street no bother or if you want security you could park in the Cornmarket or Summer St Multistoreys. Both are a 5-7 min walk from the start line and both are not restricted by road closures.
    But as limerickrunner said if you get in early enough you'll have your pick of parking spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

The long drags from the Treaty Stone to Thomond Park is gone - doing the NCR the more difficult way - doing the hill at Gaelic grounds twice. On a positive note, there is a nice long straight finish in the Ennis road

The last six miles are worse IMO. The run in by the riverwalk will be nice in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I signed up for the 6 miler and it will be my first timed 10k (did my first ever 10k about 4 weeks ago but it was untimed), I'm pretty unfit but I am really looking forward to it.

I do the parkruns most Saturdays so it's better than nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

kingtut wrote: »
    I signed up for the 6 miler and it will be my first timed 10k (did my first ever 10k about 4 weeks ago but it was untimed), I'm pretty unfit but I am really looking forward to it.

I do the parkruns most Saturdays so it's better than nothing :)

6 miles is not 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think I might give the "Not Quite 10K" a lash.

Won't be anywhere near peak condition due to recent illness but back on my feet now and need something to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

ger664 wrote: »
    The last six miles are worse IMO. The run in by the riverwalk will be nice in the first half.

I did 20 this morning at the crack of dawn,last 16 at marathon pace.On the new marathon route.It's alot harder then previous years.I think,from what I can make out from the website,if I'm right,around mile 23/24,it has marathon runners do the dreaded Gaelic round,s hill twice,but I might be wrong.hopefully after this morning's run.I'm wrong.

ger664 wrote: »
    6 miles is not 10K

I know it's not, it's just shy of 10k (around 9.66km if memory serves me right).

Aiming for around an hour I just hope I don't get stuck near the back and have to fight through the crowds for the first km or two (I know it's chip timed but getting stuck will put me in a mood for the rest of the run lol)

• Advertisement

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    ,if I'm right,around mile 23/24,it has marathon runners do the dreaded Gaelic round,s hill twice,but I might be wrong.hopefully after this morning's run.I'm wrong.

I'm afraid you are correct, walked the 6 mile route last week and got a bit lost around that section!! Need to check map against google maps and see what I did wrong. Aiming to run (more of a jog/crawl) it this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Had an email from them this morning which had a link to the marathon route, presumably this is final one at this stage?

opus wrote: »
    Had an email from them this morning which had a link to the marathon route, presumably this is final one at this stage?

That's the same as the one on the website anyway ... you'd hope they have it finalised by this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

When you are going out with the pacer would the groups typically be pretty big & do pacers aim for negative splits or pretty much even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

HigginsJ wrote: »
    When you are going out with the pacer would the groups typically be pretty big & do pacers aim for negative splits or pretty much even?

Years gone past the Pacers have ran even splits in Limerick, can't see this year being any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Almost no running the past 3 weeks with an Achiless Tendon strain. I should still be able to 'complete' the 'half' but it could be a jog rather than a 'run'.....**** happens

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Almost no running the past 3 weeks with an Achiless Tendon strain. I should still be able to 'complete' the 'half' but it could be a jog rather than a 'run'.....**** happens

That sucks :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I set out to do a 10 mile road run in Clare yesterday. My target when I signed up in January was to do it under 90 minutes. I got sick a month ago and had no training at all, and finished it walking in 115 minutes. Not a good feeling at all. At least you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

opus wrote: »

The mile markers are freshly painted on the roads all over the city so the route is finalised for this year I would be thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

They took out that horrible hill near Thomond Park from the half. Happy out! The Gaelic Grounds is still there, but I've never found that too bad.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go near the start line unless the tendon has settled down properly.

I've done races when my Achilles wasn't right and while I made it through the run ok I ended up missing out on other events/training after it.

Your right of course, it's become extremely frustrating at this stage, none of us can remain stationary all the time . While at times it feels well improved, it inevitably seems to get worse again....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikes76

Hi Guys

for those with Achilles Pain, I volunteered in a UL study a few years back and i haven't looked back since. The basic principal was to train the Achilles to grow accustomed to the load and monitor the pain after each bout of rehab exercise.

Some terms for it are 'painful heel raises', or 'achilles tendon loading'.

What you need: an old backpack, sand/gravel, stairs/steps.

The process: (12 weeks and i mean 12 weeks)
    On a non-running day, perform 3x12 sets of heel raises, (like ankle squats) on a step.
    up for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, down for 3 seconds. (each raise takes ~9/10 seconds)
    Use no weight at first. week 1 no weight, week 2, add 1 kg to the backpack, and progress like that
    if your pain the following morning at more than 10% greater than the previous day, you've added too much weight, reduce the weight and go again.
    Perform 3 times a week on non-running days, you need to stick at it for the 12 weeks, monitor the pain, and adjust the weight accordingly.

I noticed no improvement for 10 weeks and then the pain reduced to about 15% of the original.
    i continued for another 5 weeks and the pain disappered.
    i still do these twice a week to keep training the tendons to accept the load.

Hope someone finds it useful.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    The mile markers are freshly painted on the roads all over the city so the route is finalised for this year I would be thinking!
    And the mile markers remain on the roads all year :)

mikes76 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

for those with Achilles Pain, I volunteered in a UL study a few years back and i haven't looked back since. The basic principal was to train the Achilles to grow accustomed to the load and monitor the pain after each bout of rehab exercise.

On a non-running day, perform 3x12 sets of heel raises, (like ankle squats) on a step.
    up for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, down for 3 seconds. (each raise takes ~9/10 seconds)
    Use no weight at first. week 1 no weight, week 2, add 1 kg to the backpack, and progress like that
    if your pain the following morning at more than 10% greater than the previous day, you've added too much weight, reduce the weight and go again.
    Perform 3 times a week on non-running days, you need to stick at it for the 12 weeks, monitor the pain, and adjust the weight accordingly.

I noticed no improvement for 10 weeks and then the pain reduced to about 15% of the original.

Thanks, I did actually attend Physiotherapy and this was one of the recommend exercises, Yes will hopefully strengthen the achilles in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

And the mile markers remain on the roads all year :)

They sure do! And then they put fresh paint over the old ones if they use them again the following year, and when the route changes they put ones where there were never ones before. So all mile markers for this year have been freshly painted just this past week. ;)

mikes76 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Snap....I was part of that study too :-)

Found it quite good tbh although my Achilles is still prone to flaring up now and again so really have to be wary of it and religiously foam roll the bejaysus out of it.

JohnDozer wrote: »

Are the markers only for the marathon? I walked the 6 mile route last week and didn't spot them although I was focused straight ahead of me rather than the road :P)

There's markers throughout all routes, usually 'doubled' (or 'tripled' up? ), eg. Half 8, full-21. There 6 mile is common to all 3 races ?.

I've recently resumed light jogging for 'mental health' reasons, rested the achilles a lot, but didn't hugely improve. Just 'Getting out there', however slowly and haphazardly, once I'm not doing enormous damage, is important too. Feet up at home whenever possible. It was, still is , very hard watching runners and not able to train myself. There's so many runners out there at the moment :(

• Advertisement

There's markers throughout all routes, usually 'doubled' (or 'tripled' up? ), eg. Half 8, full-21. There 6 mile is common to all 3 races ?.

The 6 mile route is the 6 mile route (obviously) and it is the final 6 miles of the half and the final 6 miles of the full.

Advertisement