Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2017 - April 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aimie85

Thanks kingtut, hoping the hills won't let me down. I'm used to doing quiet rural runs so scrambling through the crowds will be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

aimie85 wrote: »
    Thanks kingtut, hoping the hills won't let me down. I'm used to doing quiet rural runs so scrambling through the crowds will be fun :)

If you're going for a time, get very close to the front. I lost 2-3 mins last year in the first mile and a half, as despite being clearly told to go to the other pen, I had to get around a few walkers after 200-400m of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

chrislad wrote: »
    If you're going for a time, get very close to the front. I lost 2-3 mins last year in the first mile and a half, as despite being clearly told to go to the other pen, I had to get around a few walkers after 200-400m of the race.

Good point - it was very very crowded in 2015 and the first few hundred metres were fairly chaotic with kids, walkers etc.

I would deffo advise anyone running to get as close to the start gate as possible. There's usually a small smattering of club runners so stick with them and you should be ok

Would be very easy to organise something....even a fella on a megaphone telling walkers to get to the back would help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

chrislad wrote: »

That's my fear. I am not fast by any means however I don't want to get stuck behind walkers !! So they put people in pens/waves ?? How do they determine who goes in what pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

kingtut wrote: »
    That's my fear. I am not fast by any means however I don't want to get stuck behind walkers !! So they put people in pens/waves ?? How do they determine who goes in what pen?

Last year, they had signs telling walkers to go one way, and runners to go another, but unfortunately, there was little enforcement and nothing to stop walkers going into the runners area. It's very annoying. Thankfully, I'm doing the half this year so I shouldn't have that issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Achilees tendon is improving considerably. Going to go for a gentle jog in the morning and see how I'm feeling over the coming week. Still feel I'd like to do the 'half' even if my pace is slow. Because I don't do many of them. Have only 3 before , I'd really like to make that 4 :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rossierunner

ger664 wrote: »
    tang1 wrote: »
    Pacing it this year?

Yes 4 Hour atm
    Ooohh, hoping to get in just below the 4....don't be afraid to give me a big kick :)
    Is our pacer still here? If so any tips on the course? Looks mighty hilly going from the garmin elevation the other poster put up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Saw 'm2' on the my lsr this morning, around Daniel O'Connels Statue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Username | Distance | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    HigginsJ | Marathon | 1st Attempt | 3:59:59 |
    JohnDozer | Half | 1:38:14 | 1:34:59|
    AGilleran | Marathon | 3:59:51 | 4:12:00|
    kingtut | 6mile | 1st Attempt | 1:00:00|
    Spirogyra|6mile|45.30|46:00
    OOnegative|Marathon|3.24.47|3.11.50|
    Jakey Rolling|Marathon|3:46:15|3:20:00|
    Chavezychavez|Marathon|3:08:17|2:59:59|
    An File | Half | 1:54:55 | 2:10:00 |
    bigslice | Marathon | 2:58:22 | 2:54:59 |
    browne_rob5 | Marathon | 1st Attempt | 3:15:00 |
    Cartman78 | 6 Mile | 40:07 | 40:06 |
    mikes76 | Marathon | 2:59:05 | 2:51:00 |
    El Caballo|6 Mile| 48:34|3x:xx|

Not in good shape so just doing it for the booze up:) Don't know what to expect time wise but going to have a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell|Half|1st Attempt|1:46:00|

Achilles cleared up enough to train for the last couple of months, going to take it slow enough to get to the finish, if the left knee, right achilles or other bits of my aged body don't fail me!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_look_sheep

Hi RossieRunner, it's not as hilly as the Garmin forerunner shows. In the Garmin outlook, the hills are measured in ft. Take into account where you start in your distance as well and it's not a very demanding course.

Good Luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Hi RossieRunner, it's not as hilly as the Garmin forerunner shows. In the Garmin outlook, the hills are measured in ft. Take into account where you start in your distance as well and it's not a very demanding course.

Good Luck with it.
    That's bull.Mile 21 to 24.5 is nothing but incline after incline,I've done 2, 20 to 22 mile runs on this new course over the last 4 weeks.From 40 K on its as flat as you could wish for,but to suggest it's not hilly,is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    That's bull.Mile 21 to 24.5 is nothing but incline after incline,I've done 2, 20 to 22 mile runs on this new course over the last 4 weeks.From 40 K on its as flat as you could wish for,but to suggest it's not hilly,is a joke.

One mans treasure & all that. What maybe an incline to you may be nothing to another runner depending on the terrain they train on.

OOnegative wrote: »
    One mans treasure & all that. What maybe an incline to you may be nothing to another runner depending on the terrain they train on.
    Nonsense.This will be my 5th Limerick marathon.I know what I'm talking about.With this new course,it's NOW a hilly marathon,simple as that.

I was referring to the Garmin Forerunners output of the course. The North Circular Road is always a bit challenging but there is plenty of other courses in ireland that are tougher.

I was referring to the Garmin Forerunners output of the course. The North Circular Road is always a bit challenging but there is plenty of other courses in ireland that are tougher.

Of course there is,but Limerick used to be a good Marathon to chase a p.b,not anymore I'm afraid.

Of course there is,but Limerick used to be a good Marathon to chase a p.b,not anymore I'm afraid.

Well I wish you good luck with it.

Nonsense.This will be my 5th Limerick marathon.I know what I'm talking about.With this new course,it's NOW a hilly marathon,simple as that.

I'll make my own mind up next Sunday and if I'm wrong I'll bow down to your Limerick expertise oh great one!!!

I'll make my own mind up next Sunday and if I'm wrong I'll bow down to your Limerick expertise oh great one!!!

There's No need for the sarcasm.I'm just pointing out to everyone,what really lies ahead.

Not to take your triumphs away from you but mile 21, 22, and 23, are just done in reverse this year so parts of those even last year would have been "hilly" to you. To me, that's not even challenging. But each to their own etc.

• Advertisement

There's No need for the sarcasm.I'm just pointing out to everyone,what really lies ahead.

Just like there was no need for you to call my post nonsense, as I said I'll make my mind up next Sunday. If your right I'll gladly say you were, best of luck with your sub 3 attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm inclined to go with the view that it's not an overly hilly route. If you've been training only on the flat it is going to seem hilly by comparison. If you've been building hills into your training regularly none of what Limerick has to offer should trouble you greatly. The main difference I see is the hill at the Gaelic Grounds occurring much later in the race than before. But it's not a massive hill by any stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I'm inclined to go with the view that it's not an overly hilly route. If you've been training only on the flat it is going to seem hilly by comparison. If you've been building hills into your training regularly none of what Limerick has to offer should trouble you greatly. The main difference I see is the hill at the Gaelic Grounds occurring much later in the race than before. But it's not a massive hill by any stretch.

Is the route the same as last year?

El Caballo wrote: »
    Is the route the same as last year?

Nope. There are changes in the first half of the marathon out around UL, not sure what they are. First half of the half is the same. For the second half/6 mile you go over Sarsfield Bridge, turn left and go along Clancy Strand and around NCR in reverse from other years. Out the Ennis Road past Gaelic Grounds, loop of an estate and back past the GG and straight in the Ennis Road to finish. The maps are up on the website.

Not to take your triumphs away from you but mile 21, 22, and 23, are just done in reverse this year so parts of those even last year would have been "hilly" to you. To me, that's not even challenging. But each to their own etc.

I suppose at your level,those inclines are nothing,best of luck with winning it this year,I hope doody,has been training hard,If he wants to retain his title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Limerick was a fairly flat PB friendly marathon, with a couple of inclines. Anyone know why they changed the course and made it more challenging, a bit disappointing tbh

TbL

Limerick was a fairly flat PB friendly marathon, with a couple of inclines. Anyone know why they changed the course and made it more challenging, a bit disappointing tbh

TbL

I couldn't say for sure, but it looks like traffic management looks to be one of the factors. The changes in the final few miles allow them re-open one of the major roads much sooner this way. Might be wrong.

Last years change to the route seemed to be influenced by the same issue, reopening roads earlier. Or not closing them at all if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

MrMacPhisto|Half|1:21:30|1:19:50|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

MrMacPhisto|Half|1:21:30|1:19:50|

Nice hm target MrMacP, best of luck with it

TbL

• Advertisement

Just like there was no need for you to call my post nonsense, as I said I'll make my mind up next Sunday. If your right I'll gladly say you were, best of luck with your sub 3 attempt.

And you with your sub 3:12.Just went back a few pages,and saw the table.Best of luck.

Advertisement