Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2017 - April 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fighting a niggle in the past few days but sub 70 for sure and aiming for a lot quicker! Little lad from Connemara running his first Irish half marathon!!

Best of luck with it, half should make for a good race so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I'm not 100% on the P&D on that road but if I'm ever going to a gig in Dolans I park my car on Windmill St and collect it after lunch the next day.
    I have done this several times with no issue.
    But have a look around when you are parking. As I said if you get in early enough you'll get you pick.
    You might eveb get a spot opposite Henry St Garda station.
    Best of luck ;-)

P&D doesnt apply on Sundays or Bank Holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

ger664 wrote: »
    P&D doesnt apply on Sundays or Bank Holidays

From the volume of illegal parking I see every day / evening it never applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_look_sheep

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread it sounded like a straight shootout between Martin Doody of Limerick AC and oh_look_sheep, possibly of Boards AC...

*not a dig at oh_look_sheep

Ha. Nope not me anyways. Thanks for making me smile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So how are we all doing as the last few day approach?

Has taper madness set in yet for the marathoners?

I've probably never been so badly prepared for a run ever.....luckily it's only the 6 Miler so the relative scale of catastrophe will be low.

I'm guessing any locals will be going to the Expo on Friday evening - I remember the Saturday being absolute chaos there a couple of years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Planning to be in early on Saturday morning to pick up my race pack as won't have a chance on Friday.

Taper is fine, looking forward to it now. The quicker it comes around the better.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    So how are we all doing as the last few day approach?

Has taper madness set in yet for the marathoners?

I've probably never been so badly prepared for a run ever.....luckily it's only the 6 Miler so the relative scale of catastrophe will be low.

I'm guessing any locals will be going to the Expo on Friday evening - I remember the Saturday being absolute chaos there a couple of years ago

Going to be in early Friday afternoon. If it's anything like previous years traffic will be an absolute nightmare.

On the week of events, I try to just stay relaxed. Must stress the word 'try' though, because I normally grow tired very easily of waiting. Oh and also I stay away from Facebook, I've never been happy with the GLR social media campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm the same. Down weeks don't suit me. Always feel like I'm itching to get out and do more. Just like cramming for the Leaving Cert. I had to repeat that too...

Haven't decided to do the Expo Friday and do home parkrun Saturday, or do the UL parkrun on Saturday morning and hit the Expo early after. They are only 500m apart. The Kids race in the afternoon always makes it crazy on the Saturday.

Mixed feelings about how the race will pan out, fit enough to hit the target I reckon but have managed to aggravate an old injury doing too much last week so that may scupper the best laid plans. I just have to try and give it a chance to heal some bit. Easier said than done. Will be at the start line anyway and anything can happen after that. There will be other days if Sunday is not the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm going to go to the expo on the Friday as I have family visiting on Saturday.
    Is the expo worth having a wander around or should I just get my race number and go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Forecast at the moment looks wet and windy, hopefully that changes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Rossierunner

Supercell wrote: »
    Forecast at the moment looks wet and windy, hopefully that changes.
    Have been tracking weather apps last few days. Had a mini heartattck this am when I saw it but it has improved...still wet and windy tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Based on previous yrs. Expo is small. Not much to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Have been tracking weather apps last few days. Had a mini heartattck this am when I saw it but it has improved...still wet and windy tho :/
    Yes not looking great, would not help our cause....the goal is at least to break 1:50 for 13.1 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Norwegian weather website "yr" that I usually find the most reliable says small amount of rain with moderate breeze 7 mph.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Norwegian weather website "yr" that I usually find the most reliable says small amount of rain with moderate breeze 7 mph.

TbL

Good excuse for another DNF for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good excuse for another DNF for you so.

Careful now sonny or I might just hand you your ass ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forecast for Sunday a real worry now. Looking like heavy rain a possibility. Also cold easterly wind but Limerick a good spot for this as wind will be colder the further east you go. Decided to do marathon at last minute and beginning to regret it. weather not set in stone yet though. Temps will be perfect for running so if the wind and rain would just bugger off....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Great. I can blame the weather for not hitting my target!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Forecast for Sunday a real worry now. Looking like heavy rain a possibility. Also cold easterly wind but Limerick a good spot for this as wind will be colder the further east you go. Decided to do marathon at last minute and beginning to regret it. weather not set in stone yet though. Temps will be perfect for running so if the wind and rain would just bugger off....

The wind moreso than the rain for me, the rain is fine (assuming it won't be torrential). Strong wind will be the death knell.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The wind moreso than the rain for me, the rain is fine (assuming it won't be torrential). Strong wind will be the death knell.

I'd agree . I don't think the rain would bother me but a strong wind wouldn't be great. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I wouldn't bother stressing about the weather. Nothing you can do about the weather. If its particularly bad on the day then you may need to re-adjust your goal slightly and run a bit more tactically.

Im pretty sure that the weather hasn't been 10 degrees, gentle breeze with cloud cover every day of training.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does anyone remember the biblical torrents that fell around the 2:45:00 mark of the half marathon in 2015? I don't remember experiencing anything like it in my life. Was just back at the car, maybe half an hour after I'd finished the course, and I had to shelter under a wall for 5 minutes before it was clear enough to actually open the car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That was crazy. It started *just* as I came in for the half, so I missed it. The 6 milers got soaked as it was like a monsoon for the entire race!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

Does anyone know about best places for parking on sunday?, My race is 6 mile starting 12.30 and haven't a clue where I have to be. I carnt find any info on the great limerick run website also is there anywhere to leave belongings e.c.t?

Does anyone know about best places for parking on sunday?, My race is 6 mile starting 12.30 and haven't a clue where I have to be. I carnt find any info on the great limerick run website also is there anywhere to leave belongings e.c.t?
    Check out the last few pages/posts as there are lots of good spots mentioned

An File wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the biblical torrents that fell around the 2:45:00 mark of the half marathon in 2015? I don't remember experiencing anything like it in my life. Was just back at the car, maybe half an hour after I'd finished the course, and I had to shelter under a wall for 5 minutes before it was clear enough to actually open the car. :D

Ah yes the monsoon experience of 2015. I welcomed it as I approached O Connell Street. The rain never bothers me. But what bothered me the most was I didn't even get a banana at the end. It was the only thing I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Trampas wrote: »
    Username | Distance | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    HigginsJ | Marathon | 1st Attempt | 3:59:59 |
    JohnDozer | Half | 1:38:14 | 1:34:59|
    AGilleran | Marathon | 3:59:51 | 4:12:00|
    kingtut | 6mile | 1st Attempt | 1:00:00|
    Spirogyra|Half|1:53:20|1:45:00|
    OOnegative|Marathon|3.24.47|3.11.50|
    Jakey Rolling|Marathon|3:46:15|3:20:00|
    Chavezychavez|Marathon|3:08:17|2:59:59|
    An File | Half | 1:54:55 | 2:10:00 |
    bigslice | Marathon | 2:58:22 | 2:54:59 |
    browne_rob5 | Marathon | 1st Attempt | 3:15:00 |
    Cartman78 | 6 Mile | 40:07 | 40:06 |
    mikes76 | Marathon | 2:59:05 | 2:51:00 |
    El Caballo|6 Mile| 48:34|3x:xx|
    Supercell|Half|1st Attempt|1:46:00|
    MrMacPhisto|Half|1:21:30|1:19:50|
    Kiloecho15|Marathon|3:43:42|3:45:00
    chrislad|Half|1:56:57|1:49:xx
    Trampas|Half|1.33.48|1.29.59
    Limerick 91|Half|1:48:50|1:59:59|

No training done for a month due to a long holiday and a foot injury. Will be treating the half as my first training run for Dublin City Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone do the Expo yet?

Hoping to pop in and out ninja style after 6

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Just did it there after work. Between traffic, parking and queueing I spent about an hour either in UL or sitting in the vicinity of UL. The expo part seems to be moving well enough but nothing much to see really.

• Advertisement

Any further insights into the route for the full?

Advertisement