Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Dated Stock Tesco's

Options
  • 21-12-2016 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Be extra vigilant when buying in Tescos and especially when buying online especially meat and dairy as they appear to be flogging off all their short dated stock before the Christmas.

Today I got Angus Sirloin steaks which are out of date Tomorrow!
    They also sent milk dated 27th, only 6 days compared to at least 10 days available in other shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd consider the apostrophe in the thread title to be a far greater crime against humanity.

Most food can be consumed well after the 'best before' date. Example - yesterday I drank my last bottle of Benecol from the fridge, the BB date was Nov. 13th.

I thought this was common practice in all supermarkets ... newer items to the back, older items to the front.

Which is why I always take the stock furthest to the back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I thought this was common practice in all supermarkets ... newer items to the back, older items to the front.

Yeah, this isnt a new tactic for tesco online orders they have been doing it for years thats why I go in store now and do my own shopping cos I can get fresher stuff.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got some bagels delivered the other day. 2 days plus it said on the website. When they arrived, they were dated the following day.

Naughty tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen a loaf of bread on the shelves before with mould on it inside the packaging, was over 10 days after best before date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Have you contacted Tesco about it? I did once and they refunded me and I could keep the items. I was still pretty p!ssed. The quiche went off the day it arrived, soup the following day and a full chicken and some chicken breasts the following day too. I really think it depends on who does the shop for you because it only happened that once for me. The delivery driver is supposed to inform you of the short shelf life items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

What are you expecting them to do? Bin everything 3 days before its best before date?

It's not a grand conspiracy, nor is it new - just stock control as practiced by retailers the world over - old stock to the front, new stock to the back.

Simply look at the dates or take from the back if it's going to be an issue.

As for online, most definitely do be vigilant and reject anything shorter than it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Before you complain about Tesco, look in the mirror.

You go to the fridge in your kitchen, you have two jugs of milk. One best before 25th December and one dated 1st Jan. Which would YOU use first? Aren't Tesco being unreasonable.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

If you are so worried about getting short dated stock delivered why not just go to the store?

I was there today and could pick best dates on the stock i was buying.

You always seem to have problems with tesco and their prices/stock so why do you keep ordering from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's often a struggle to find the longer dated items in any supermarket. Dunnes had Avonmore milk last week with no longer than 5 days left.

It's Best Before and just how long before do you really need?

People keep complaining about Tesco and online shopping problems with them. Just go to the shop and pick what you want or shop elsewhere if they are so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Be extra vigilant when buying in Tescos and especially when buying online especially meat and dairy as they appear to be flogging off all their short dated stock before the Christmas.

Instead of 'flogging off all their short-dated stock' before Christmas, what do you suggest they do with it?

And how exactly are you suggesting that boardsies be 'extra vigilant' when buying online? Do Tesco give you a menu of best before dates when you buy milk/bread/meat?
    Today I got Angus Sirloin steaks which are out of date Tomorrow!
    They also sent milk dated 27th, only 6 days compared to at least 10 days available in other shops.

And your point is? Should Tesco bin food 1, 2, 3 or even 4 days before the best before date - go on, tell us exactly when they should pull stock off the shelves before it expires. Or what exactly is your beef - is it that you resent the fact that the people who get up off their lazy asses and go to the store get the freshest food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Red meat is far too fresh these days.

Any decent chef would tell you that they'd wait at least two weeks after the bbd on good cuts of red meat. :)

As for milk - I find supermarket own brand usually has max 6-7 days whereas the main brands have longer. I would guess that that's one of the reasons for the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Foggy you keep complaining about Tesco Home Delivery and keep using them? If they're so terrible vote with your bloody feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This is interesting because during their training the staff doing the online shopping are told to always search for the longest dated items, best looking fruit etc. Some staff in Maynooth were disciplined for "doing the company a favour" as they called it by getting rid of the shortest dated stock and least wanted fruit and vegetables.

Complain, they will sort it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Red meat is far too fresh these days.

Any decent chef would tell you that they'd wait at least two weeks after the bbd on good cuts of red meat. :)

As for milk - I find supermarket own brand usually has max 6-7 days whereas the main brands have longer. I would guess that that's one of the reasons for the price difference.

Don't think so. Same creameries do multiple brands. I've had 10 days regularly from Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tesco advertise their online shopping as the same as if you did the shopping yourself and state that you will get the best dates available on the shelves. Their pickers are trained to pick the very freshest items for online shoppers.
    It's often a struggle to find the longer dated items in any supermarket. Dunnes had Avonmore milk last week with no longer than 5 days left.

It's Best Before and just how long before do you really need?

People keep complaining about Tesco and online shopping problems with them. Just go to the shop and pick what you want or shop elsewhere if they are so bad.
    Dairy and meat products all have "use by" dates and Aldi and Lidl regularly have milk with 10-11 days life.

Tesco also state that they will warn customers when items are short dated but this did not happen with the steaks I bought yesterday which are out of date today.

Tesco are providing a service and should be prepared for people to complain if that service is not as advertised. I could keep drivers waiting as I check every date on the shopping but there is supposed to be a level of trust in the online shopping service that they will provide the best quality and freshest produce and that they will refund for items that do not meet the required standard.

Anyway I rang the customer care and they checked and saw no short date warning on my receipt so did a refund for the steaks which was good, the milk will be fine this time but I am quite picky and used to fresher milk. tescos themselves usually have about 7-8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/zones/default.aspx?name=quality-and-freshness
    We're as picky as you are
    You can trust our trained personal shoppers to choose your products as you would from the back of the shelves to get the longest expiry dates.
    And you can even write them a note. So if you prefer ripe tomatoes or green bananas, just add a note on the 'View full basket' page before you check out.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/dialogue/?dialogueName=LimitedShelfLife
    At Tesco, we are committed to making sure that you only receive the freshest products.
    Your Personal Shopper is specially trained to select the freshest and highest quality products available.
    Personal Shoppers will always take the time to select the product with the longest available shelf life.
    Before selecting your product the Personal Shopper will check if you have added any specific requirements to the customer notes section. e.g. if you have said “I want green bananas” they will do their very best to find them for you.
    To help maintain the freshness of your order, all of our delivery vans have separate freezer and chiller compartments for frozen and chilled items
    Despite these precautions, it is essential that after purchase, food is stored, prepared and cooked properly to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria. Short Product Life' messages are intended to help you maintain the quality and safety of fresh food.
    What does 'Short Product Life' mean?
    Put simply, it means that the relevant products must be consumed within a few days of purchase.
    The product will be delivered between 1 and 3 days before the 'Display Until' date. This includes the day of delivery.
    We recommend that Fish Counter products be consumed within the date stated on the pack, which is the day after delivery.
    Please be aware that the 'Display Until' date is not the last date on which products can be consumed. You should use the 'Best Before' or 'Use By' date to help you decide this. There will often be several extra days between the two dates.
    Display Until', 'Best Before' and 'Use By' dates explained
    'Display Until': The 'Display Until' date will often appear near or next to the 'Best Before' or 'Use By' date. This date is used by our store staff to help with stock control and is not intended to be used as guidance for shoppers. However, products with a “short product life” will always be sent out between 1 and 3 days before the “display until” date has expired.
    'Best Before': The 'Best Before' date will appear on a wide range of frozen, tinned and other foods. The 'Best Before' dates are more about quality than safety). So when the date runs out it does not mean that the food will be harmful but it may begin to loose its flavour and texture. There is an exception for eggs, however; these must always be eaten befor their “best before” date.
    'Use By': You will see 'Use By' dates on food that goes off quickly, such as fresh meat and poultry, meat products and ready prepared salads. Don't use any food or drink after the end of the 'Use By' date on the label, even if it looks good and smells fine. Using it after this date could put your health at risk.
    Many foods with a 'Use By' date can be frozen and consumed at a later date. This will be clearly indicated on the label. However, it is important to freeze products on the day they are bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Tesco are murder for the short dated stock.

All the other supermarkets put Tesco to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yes, it's called rotation. A very standard practice to reduce wastage/write offs. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's sold within the BB date.

I had three cartons of milk in the shopping today all dated 1st of January! That's only 3 days and to make it worse customer care tried to tell me that this was the normal shelf life for milk!

I bought a carton in Aldi yesterday dated 8th January!

• Advertisement

Yes, it's called rotation. A very standard practice to reduce wastage/write offs. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's sold within the BB date.

But tesco promise that their pickers will pick the freshest products from the back for people doing online shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I had three cartons of milk in the shopping today all dated 1st of January! That's only 3 days and to make it worse customer care tried to tell me that this was the normal shelf life for milk!

Why not just buy more milk in aldi so?

Not trying to be funny but I genuinely wonder why you continue to use them. You seem to have nothing but complaints about them. If I had half the number of issues with a supermarket I'd just shop elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Not trying to be funny but why I genuinely wonder why you continue to use them. You seem to have nothing but complaints about them. If I had half the number of issues with a supermarket I'd just shop elsewhere.

He's always complaining about Amazon too. I'd close the laptop and go to the store - life is too short :pac::p.

Owryan wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny but I genuinely wonder why you continue to use them. You seem to have nothing but complaints about them. If I had half the number of issues with a supermarket I'd just shop elsewhere.

It is not always practical or possible to go elsewhere but I do shop in Aldi when I can. the online shopping is a big advantage and the SuperValu offering is dismal.

Tesco have made promises about the shopping experience, especially about the freshness of stock for their online customers and are not meeting their own standards. Should people just accept the lower standards or complain to them when they make mistakes?

To be fair to tesco they have refunded the price of the milk but it means that I now need to go to another shop to get milk for next week(after 1st) which is inconvenient after thinking that I had done my weekly shopping.

It is not always practical or possible to go elsewhere but I do shop in Aldi when I can. the online shopping is a big advantage and the SuperValu offering is dismal.

Tesco have made promises about the shopping experience, especially about the freshness of stock for their online customers and are not meeting their own standards. Should people just accept the lower standards or complain to them when they make mistakes?

To be fair to tesco they have refunded the price of the milk but it means that I now need to go to another shop to get milk for next week(after 1st) which is inconvenient after thinking that I had done my weekly shopping.

No, sorry. That doesn't make sense to me. If they are as bad as all your complaints here suggest, I'd go elsewhere and forget the online shopping and put up with some old fashioned inconvenience to get a proper shop done. But I suspect the in shop experience would not meet your standards either.

No, sorry. That doesn't make sense to me. If they are as bad as all your complaints here suggest, I'd go elsewhere and forget the online shopping and put up with some old fashioned inconvenience to get a proper shop done. But I suspect the in shop experience would not meet your standards either.

I wouldn't know about the tesco in shop experience as if I shop in store it is always in Aldi and I have rarely had issues in there. I Imagine it would be the same in tesco.

Owryan wrote: »

I will have to do this now even though I had bought what I thought was enough milk for the week in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco have made promises about the shopping experience, especially about the freshness of stock for their online customers and are not meeting their own standards.
    I posted their official statements, it's all a load of "blah blah" vague "promises" which can be weaseled out of. The only standout lines you could hold them to are

The product will be delivered between 1 and 3 days before the 'Display Until' date. This includes the day of delivery.

products with a “short product life” will always be sent out between 1 and 3 days before the “display until” date has expired.

I have not noticed "display until" dates on many branded items, I have seen it on tesco items, not sure if it's on their milk (or what brand you got).

I know I got premier milk on 23rd dec which had a date of 2 jan on it.

If your milk had no "display until" date on it then they can go by the BB (or use by) which is still within their 1-3 day promise. They probably got it in before the christmas close down and the BB was likely 1 jan and so is more likely to have been left over and gotten rid of to you now, and still within their "promise".

There appears to be a note system on their ordering, so you could possibly say you do not want the milk etc unless its within 5 days? which would force them to genuinely bother their arse to pick stuff from the back.

I never buy chicken in tesco unless its very well in date, I have tesco chicken listed as use by 29dec but still smells perfectly fine, as I have had it in my own fridge for about a week, which is a hell of a lot colder than their ones. I don't drink milk straight out of tesco as its not cold enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You should always check dates on items in Tesco, by fluke I noticed a meal kit was out of date by two months, informed the guy stocking shelves about it as all the stock had the same date, the same out of date kits are still there nearly 3 months later.

Advertisement