Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you return these Mavic Cosmic Elites?

Options
  • 21-12-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hello Boardsies!

I nabbed the deal for Cosmic Elites that Canyon had on a couple of weeks ago. I've been crazy busy so I'm just getting around to inspecting them.

I found the rims to be quite poorly joined, with a pronounced ridge around the joint, and an uneven surface to the outside edge (touching the tyre bead, above braking surface). I have attached photos, but it looks worse in real life.

The braking surface seems fine, but I guess my main fear would be the rims failing/cracking when hitting a pot hole.

So I'm wondering. Are all Cosmic Elites like this? I have a few sets of wheels and can't see any poor joint work on any of them.

Thanks for any feedback and happy Chrimbus.

Cosmics_1.jpg

Cosmics_2.jpg

Cosmics_3.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

for the money you pay you should be able to ride those wheels without a second of hesitation that a mechanical could suddenly occur. at the very worst it'll constantly be in the back of your mind as you ride them. id send them back.

edit: just had a look at my cosmic elites, couldn't even locate the join so....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yes I'd send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Without hesitation, I would send them back and I'd expect Canyon to pay for courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Without hesitation, I would send them back and I'd expect Canyon to pay for courier.

They do. They will arrange for UPS to collect them.

Now I have to go and check some wheels :/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Send them back. However you do need to bear in mind they don't have to replace them and may simply refund you, meaning your "bargain" may be foregone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe the bargain price was because of the condition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm no engineer, but that looks like a burr from the welding that was not ground off, which wouldn't suggest a weak point?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for the replies. I'll get on to Canyon about a return the wheels!

edit: just had a look at my cosmic elites, couldn't even locate the join so....

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, cheers.
    They do. They will arrange for UPS to collect them.

Now I have to go and check some wheels :/

Let us know how they look! I hope your set are in better condition.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Send them back. However you do need to bear in mind they don't have to replace them and may simply refund you, meaning your "bargain" may be foregone completely.

Good point. I think I'm okay with a refund (this purchase was not sanctioned by the "accounts department").

I hope not. That'd be pretty bad form, not highlighting faults at the point of sale.
    i'm no engineer, but that looks like a burr from the welding that was not ground off, which wouldn't suggest a weak point?

Possibly. It's the cracks and the gaps I'm worried about rather than the (almost negligible) aero-drag some excess a solder would leave behind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Deffo return and even if they just give a refund you'd never be happy riding those wheels anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

How about returning _under warranty_ to the dealer? Afaik they will have to send them back to the manufacturer, which can only result in a pair of new wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mine are fine. (Had to go out and do a quick check!)

In fairness, Canyon aren't stupid enough to sell defective "bargain" wheels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My last pair of askiums had the same. I could feel a bump when applying the front brake but they were true. Went back to the shop, mechanic said it was fine but he would sand it out, sin e. Riding on them now for almost a year.

Id still return them if possible and without cost, as, well why not, I wouldn't take the word of some loon like me on an internet forum over your gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I've been in touch with Canyon, who said:

"...we are very sorry to see that your wheels arrived in this condition. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. It is unfortunately the case that we are now sold out of the wheels and we are therefore unable to offer you a replacement..."

I asked if they could source a replacement from Mavic, as it is ultimately their liability. To which Canyon replied:

"I looked in to the option of a replacement previously, we cannot source some more from Mavic and offer them at the same price as they were a promotional item with a huge reduction on them."

Take from that what you will.

Edit: Update. They're now offering a refund or a repair (by Mavic, that could take up to 6 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

gaffmaster wrote: »

"...we are very sorry to see that your wheels arrived in this condition. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. It is unfortunately the case that we are now sold out of the wheels and we are therefore unable to offer you a replacement..."

I asked if they could source a replacement from Mavic, as it is ultimately their liability. To which Canyon replied:

"I looked in to the option of a replacement previously, we cannot source some more from Mavic and offer them at the same price as they were a promotional item with a huge reduction on them."

Edit: Update. They're now offering a refund or a repair (by Mavic, that could take up to 6 weeks).

Send them back to Mavic, good chance Mavic will just send you a new set.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gaffmaster wrote: »

Go for the repair from Mavic, most likely a new set will arrive but even if they actually just file it out, at least you know they stand over it if it ever did develop further.

Advertisement