Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snail incubation and cold protection in Ireland

Options
  • 21-12-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    Does anyone know how I could protect snails against the frost? How would I incubate them in Ireland? Is it necessary? I am about to start snail farming and could do with all the advice I can get.

I look forward to hearing back from you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

You harvest them in September/October so they shouldt be out for the winter. Insulated shed for those you want to keep. Ones outside will bury in to the soil themselves but you won't know what you have left come the following April/May.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hellotree

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hellotree

How do I prepare the field? Clear it of pests/disease, unnecessary foiliage and native snails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

just wondering how things are going with the snails . i have just started down here in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

just wondering how things are going with the snails . i have just started down here in wexford

Love to hear more and see photos if you could.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Love to hear more and see photos if you could.
    pm sent

one photo of the snails taken before woken from hibernation ..the other photo is take after their first feed 24 hours later . have them in an insulated container at about 18 -20 deg during the day with lights on at moment foe about 12 hours a day [increasing slightly every few days] . temp drops at night to try and mimic spring /summer
    can load a few more pics later if anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

one photo of the snails taken before woken from hibernation ..the other photo is take after their first feed 24 hours later . have them in an insulated container at about 18 -20 deg during the day with lights on at moment foe about 12 hours a day [increasing slightly every few days] . temp drops at night to try and mimic spring /summer
    can load a few more pics later if anyone interested

One of those pictures looks like the afters of a wedding!

what the fcuk kind of weddings do you be at::D
    will post a better one later

Very interesting stuff.
    And without going into specifics do you find it a financially viable business, I presume the market is France ?

• Advertisement

there is a couple of guys down here say the market is strong and both of them seem to have a demand and are willing to buy the product. Im involved in the shellfish business and have made a few enquires myself but still still waiting on word back , they all say demand is there its just trying to find the right person in that line of work.
    On the face of it its seems like a viable project . set up costs were not all that high as we already had a polytunnel and a loan of container . 7-8k will go a long way because of that

ps sent you a pm Brian . did you get it

No. Pm didn't come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

_Brian wrote: »
    , I presume the market is France ?

Poland is the main buyer.

Suckler wrote: »
    Poland is the main buyer.
    france ,spain ,greece and italy . poland is one of the main suppilers but i believe there is some sort of a ban on them at the moment , im trying to find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neegalway

My husband is hoping to start snail farming this April. How is the market at the moment?

to cut a long story short the thing was a disaster for us as we were fooled by one of the ''experts'' and we were sold parasite infected snails so we got very few baby snais [5000] so we had none to sell . From talking to other people down here , demand and prices were good . about 4 euro kg dont know if that includes delivery costs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was this snail expert a Cattle Dealer in a previous life? :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

no , not that im aware of , south african fella , he fooled a lot of people and he was eventually found out .Himself and his husband have since done a runner and left owing a few people . not gonna name name's here .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A south African gay snail supplier in wexford and you haven't named him LOL

kerryjack wrote: »
    exactly. those who know a little about what went on will know him . those who don't are still non the wiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

not hard to google in fairness :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

not hard to google in fairness :p

A south African selling gay snails in Wexford.

You must have a different Google cos I'm not getting anything.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I thought it was gay South African snails??!!

Thanks. :)

I'll try that instead.

I think I found it now!

http://www.mambaonline.com/2014/10/14/meet-new-gay-marriage-snail/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You're very Wit-ty

ganmo wrote: »
    You're very Wit-ty

Thats gone way over my head. :p

Wit-ty??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I definitely get you now.
    I was only codding btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Neegalway

Oh sorry to hear that. He's just bought 250000 baby snails so I really hope it goes ok!! If anybody has any good advice or tips to starting up snail farming and making it successful I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

Advertisement