Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Pudding

• 21-12-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It has come to my attention recently that some people don't like this. I mean I know there are people who like to be difficult and hate things like cheese (yet in almost all cases will still eat pizza), but Christmas Pudding? Shut the front door. I won't have it.

Pop it in the microwave, slather a bit of brandy butter on there, some fresh whipped cream and away you go. There's nothing in this life from January to November that can compete with this, the simplest of life's pleasures.

What say ye AH?

Christmas Pudding? 193 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    65% 126 votes
    Atari Jaguar.
    34% 67 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's ****e, but still better than fruit cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It looks and tastes like something you'd find in a bin. Everything about it is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Christmas pudding with icecream yummy . I must buy a tub of carte dor, vanilla ....

Lisha wrote: »
    I love Christmas pudding with icecream yummy . I must buy a tub of carte dor, vanilla ....

Nonstandard usage, but I'll allow it. You get a silver star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It has come to my attention recently that some people don't like this. I mean I know there are people who like to be difficult and hate things like cheese (yet in almost all cases will still eat pizza), but Christmas Pudding? Shut the front door. I won't have it.

Pop it in the microwave, slather a bit of brandy butter on there, some fresh whipped cream and away you go. There's nothing in this life from January to November that can compete with this, the simplest of life's pleasures.

What say ye AH?

Did you say Brando butter?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think what you meant to say is that it's as she*te as fruit cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's one of my favourite Christmas foods! Just collected my 3lb one from the local bakery today and two jars of Helen Gee's famous brandy butter to accompany it. Just like Granny used to make and you can't have one without the other. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I could possibly eat Christmas Pudding until I pass out.
    there has to be something wrong with someone who does like it - or maybe they've been eating the wrong Pudding.
    My Father and his mate were working on Christmas day years ago. They opened a pudding and eat it cold , there were no microwaves back then. When they got to the top ( they had opened it upside down) there were instructions saying it needed to be boiled for 2 hours. Still thought it was delicious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

cajonlardo wrote: »
    there has to be something wrong with someone who does like it - or maybe they've been eating the wrong Pudding.

Then there is something wrong with a LOT of people! Christmas pudding is rank.

• Advertisement

I never liked xmas pudding or mince pies.
    I'm making banoffee instead
    aw yiss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Don't mind them OP. More for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

..with hot custard for me. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Even when it's a half decent, not too stodgy christmas pudding you're eating tentatively, awaiting the dreaded raisin crunch...akin to finding eggshell in your omelette * shudder *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never liked xmas pudding or mince pies.
    I'm making banoffee instead
    aw yiss

Are you me or what? Exactly the same here and that includes bannoffee, sorry.

I detest cake, pudding and mince pies. Saves a fortune! And I don't care if anyone visits, we have lots of "other" stuff to give them that I actually LIKE!

We don't have a sweet tooth, so desserts are rare enough anyway.

I will be making a small Baileys cheesecake, buy a pot of good vanilla ice cream, and will have lots of whipping cream for the Irish/French/Baileys coffee. You can see a pattern with the Baileys here I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A guy I lived with in Japan said that one of the saddest things he saw was me coming home drunk, opening up the christmas pudding my mother had sent me, and sitting on the floor eating it from the plastic container, digging out chunks with a spoon.

Christmas pudding is all about the accompanying brandy butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Christmas pudding with trifle & cream is amazing. Works with a bit of custard on it too.

Christmas Cake now on the other hand is rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fried with a fried egg on top. Food heaven.

In a sandwich between two slices of fresh sliced white pan.

Cold with a mug of coffee.

In custard, yum!

I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Yocky. Although I didn't like mince pies til this week and now they're my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Baileys cream for the win. With added baileys cos they've gone stingy this year. Should really post in the stingiest thread actually.

About to make this year's first batch of mince pies tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ugh, no.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Are you me or what? Exactly the same here and that includes bannoffee, sorry.

I detest cake, pudding and mince pies. Saves a fortune! And I don't care if anyone visits, we have lots of "other" stuff to give them that I actually LIKE!

We don't have a sweet tooth, so desserts are rare enough anyway.

I will be making a small Baileys cheesecake, buy a pot of good vanilla ice cream, and will have lots of whipping cream for the Irish/French/Baileys coffee. You can see a pattern with the Baileys here I reckon.

Has to be baileys malteser cheesecake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Oh no its not lighting

More brandy

Still not lighting

More brandy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bluewolf wrote: »
    Has to be baileys malteser cheesecake

Cheesecake and coffee together put me into a higher meditative state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pudding is ok but cake is a must. Homemade with a bottle of brandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite Christmas foods! Just collected my 3lb one from the local bakery today and two jars of Helen Gee's famous brandy butter to accompany it. Just like Granny used to make and you can't have one without the other. :D

Nobody? Is nobody going to comment on this?

Gee butter, just like Granny used to make?

Nobody????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fried with a fried egg on top.

Was this when yiz had no bread on account of The Emergency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Plenty of half price puddings next week, and they keep for months. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 cartoon 101

the only thing i'll be eating xmas day is drink

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People who don't like Christmas pudding are doing it all wrong.

Get your dessert bowls.
    Put in some slices of Christmas pudding.
    Pour some hot custard over it.
    Let it cool down, put in the fridge.
    To serve add ice cream.

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Plenty of half price puddings next week, and they keep for months. Yum.

Bought 2 908g Christmas puddings from Supervalu for €4 each. Great value and the best thing about Christmas puddings is the alcohol in them preserves them for a very long time.
    If there was going to be a food shortage, Christmas pudding would be there to eat a year later and still be fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

With whipped cream or warm custard. I don't like Christmas cake though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I have three ordered from three different sources, two homemade and one from a butcher. Love the stuff. Plenty of brandy butter and gallons of brandy cream. Will be attempting to make my own brandy cream this year as the bought stuff is pretty shìt to be fair.

In custard, yum!

I love it!

Can you clarify what type of pudding you're eating?

• Advertisement

It's ok but it's inferior to Christmas cake, which itself is inferior to mince pies, which are by far the greatest Christmas dessert.
    It beats sherry trifle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What say ye AH?

Drives me potty that my wife doesn't like it..

But lad, keep it out of the microwave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Oh no its not lighting

More brandy

Still not lighting

More brandy
    Oh Bollix my hairs on fire!
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Bought 2 908g Christmas puddings from Supervalu for €4 each. Great value and the best thing about Christmas puddings is the alcohol in them preserves them for a very long time.
    If there was going to be a food shortage, Christmas pudding would be there to eat a year later and still be fine...
    I ordered 2 1lb puds from tesco for €2 each but they were out of stock so they gave me 2 908g tesco finest puddings instead and even price-matched:D

I love my pudding steamed and with whipped cream and later fried in the pan with some cream or custard.
    Putting it in the microwave is lazy and surely a sin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In custard, yum!

I love it!

Ah that brings me back. My late and great Dad would slice the pudding, put a bit of butter on the pan and fry the slices, then put it between two slices of white pan bread.

We didn't follow his tradition or tastes in that department!

But I'm so glad to come across someone who actually did this aswell. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Surprised at the amount of people who love Christmas pudding here. I never could see the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Pop it in the microwave,

Ya heretic! :eek:

Fried -yes.
    Steamed - perfect.
    Cold - grand.

But you can't microwave a pudding and still call yourself a true believer. :mad:

MrsCR was reared on stodgy English plum pudding and thought she wouldn't like a proper Irish Christmas Pudding, boiled for hours in September, left in the press for three months, then steamed to perfection on Christmas afternoon.

She had three helpings the first time she tasted it. :D

There is no match for the one my granny used to make. Even in her latter years she would make one especially for me until I had to tell her to stop because it was a mad amount of work for a woman in her 80s.

This year my mam and my auntie started getting all competitive about which of them could best replicate their mother's efforts. There's only going to be one winner: it's me.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Can you clarify what type of pudding you're eating?

Christmas steamed pudding - fruit, bread crumps, brandy, whiskey, orange and lemon rind, eggs, Guinness etc etc.

What other pudding are we talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Christmas steamed pudding - fruit, bread crumps, brandy, whiskey, orange and lemon rind, eggs, Guinness etc etc.

What other pudding are we talking about?

Well now. I love a sandwich and two slices of bread can make the nicest of food even nicer but I would never have put pudding in a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well now. I love a sandwich and two slices of bread can make the nicest of food even nicer but I would never have put pudding in a sandwich.

+1. Sounds absolutely gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Hate Christmas pudding /cake with a passion..one of the only people in my house that does...gonna bring home my own version of it this year..the local supervalu does a pudding shaped chocolate biscuit cake with a dollop of white icing over the top....mmmm..can't wait!!

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I don't think it would be for me, but I approve all positive relationships with Christmas Pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've never tasted Christmas pudding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement