Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Pudding

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've never tasted Christmas pudding.

How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How come?

We never have it at Christmas because when my mam was pregnant with me she ate a whole pudding herself and looking at them now makes her feel sick. We've bought a few down through the years but they've never been eaten and usually get thrown out when they've passed their sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I bought a Tesco Christmas pudding a few years ago, I opened it to eat it, but it had far too much of an alcohol taste to enjoy, I had one from Superquinn at the time so used that instead.
    Went back to the Tesco Christmas pudding in the summer, and it had matured and it was so good, it was amazing how good it tasted after maturing.

I use to make my own and they were as good as any one would get/make, but there is a lot of work in making them and you can buy them quite cheaply these days.
    I know that sounds lazy, but to do a pudding correctly is a lot of work, ingredients and time, and I am sure it cheaper to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Fried Christmas pudding and egg sandwich? WTF?

I thought you'd made a mistake and meant to post in the 'What are you eating?' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Love it. . With either hot custard....or cream.....or both...it's the perfect time post Xmas dinner gut buster....and a load of ale drank with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Don't much like pudding. Hate brandy butter and cream even more (custard too, fwiw).

But it's okay, because I love cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

maudgonner wrote: »
    Nobody? Is nobody going to comment on this?

Gee butter, just like Granny used to make?

Nobody????????

We're so mature in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Wouldn't eat a shop bought pud meself. Has to be homemade.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Christmas or plum pudding is so wonderful, you don't find people rushing in for seconds or eating it at any other time of the year. To be honest, it has to doused in brandy butter, cream, ice-cream or other to render it palatable in any sense of the word. :confused:

• Advertisement

railer201 wrote: »
    Christmas or plum pudding is so wonderful, you don't find people rushing in for seconds or eating it at any other time of the year. To be honest, it has to doused in brandy butter, cream, ice-cream or other to render it palatable in any sense of the word. :confused:

It's a traditional Christmas dish which is why you don't see it at other times of the year anymore than you would mince pies. As for having to douse in various other creams, ice cream etc...oh dear, and I'm always ready for seconds. Happy Christmas. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fried egg?

Vom

It's a traditional Christmas dish which is why you don't see it at other times of the year anymore than you would mince pies. As for having to douse in various other creams, ice cream etc...oh dear, and I'm always ready for seconds. Happy Christmas. :D

It's traditional which is about the only reason I put up with the yearly penance. The gunge falls into the same bracket as all those other weird Victorian desserts such semolina, tapioca, lumpy custard and rice puddings - Yuck :(

PS - Happy Christmas to you too Del !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

quickbeam wrote: »
    Don't much like pudding. Hate brandy butter and cream even more (custard too, fwiw).

You should get that checked. I think it's a sickness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's one of my favourite Christmas foods! Just collected my 3lb one from the local bakery today and two jars of Helen Gee's famous brandy butter to accompany it. Just like Granny used to make and you can't have one without the other. :D

Gee butter? There'll be cats on the windowsill for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

but they've never been eaten and usually get thrown out when they've passed their sell by date.

They have a sell-by date? :confused: I've never noticed. Is it written on the tinfoil or the greaseproof paper? :pac:

For a while there, we invented a new tradition for ourselves of keeping one from "this" autumn's batch to eat on the last Sunday before Advent "next" year, so about 15 months. Unfortunately, the French neighbours got a taste for pudding and we started running out before the 6th January ... :(:(:(

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    You should get that checked. I think it's a sickness.

Just a bit of honesty at last - without the various butter/cream add ons, the rational person would spit the stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I never knew you could fry Christmas pudding!! Can't wait to try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fried in a bit of butter, flambé in a bit of brandy and loads of cream on top. Heart attack on a plate but gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

With a bottle of Guinness thrown into the mix and (or) brandyi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Mammy's homemade pudding with freshly made hot custard and a nice dollop of HB vanilla ice-cream = the business :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

You put the wrong options on the poll OP.

They should have been:
    Yes
    No - I'm a stupid idiot with no taste buds at all.

I feel strongly about Christmas pudding.
    If you don't like it then I don't like you. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You put the wrong options on the poll OP.

They should have been:
    Yes
    No - I'm a stupid idiot with no taste buds at all.

I feel strongly about Christmas pudding.
    If you don't like it then I don't like you. Simple as that.

Personally I felt that I was already heavily biased in the text of the OP and it would be a step too far to also insert bias into the poll options. I do take your point, however I feel that the people who dislike Christmas Pudding are ill and need our help, not our hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Personally I felt that I was already heavily biased in the text of the OP and it would be a step too far to also insert bias into the poll options. I do take your point, however I feel that the people who dislike Christmas Pudding are ill and need our help, not our hatred.

That's true. And as others have mentioned, it just means there is more for the rest of us. :)

That's true. And as others have mentioned, it just means there is more for the rest of us. :)

The reason it's served up in our house is to watch all the grimacing as the guests torture themselves eating it. I always make sure to give them large helpings and ask at various intervals, 'What's the plummers like' ?

With typical hypocrisy, they always reply 'Oh lovely' - so then I spoon another dollop of the gunge on to their plates. Meantime my portion - is a dessert spoonful mixed in with chocolate Viennetta icecream to neutralise the flavour. Makes my Christmas :D

Plum pudding time again - Yummy, Yummy Yummy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I've never had it but I voted no based on what I've seen. After reading a few posts I actually think I would like it. Never had brandy butter either and that sounds delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My mum's pudding is the best, delicious!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never liked xmas pudding or mince pies.
    I'm making banoffee instead
    aw yiss

same as last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Microwaving seems to dry the shít out of pudding, you end up eating volcanic ash.

The trick to making microwaved pudding a decent substitute for a properly steam heated one is to put it in the bowl in chunks or slices (not one solid pudding) and then add an eggcup or 2 of hot water. Then leave the container lid loose. Comes out nice and moist.

Ready for the off - two puddings from the local bakery and Helen Gee's legendary brandy butter. Even bought some custard and ice cream for the rest of the family to have with theirs as they can't stand brandy butter. All the more for me. :D

Puddings%2B2.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ready for the off - two puddings from the local bakery and Helen Gee's legendary brandy butter.

Something something taste of gee.

Something something taste of gee.

Lowering the tone of AH. :D

Ready for the off - two puddings from the local bakery and Helen Gee's legendary brandy butter. Even bought some custard and ice cream for the rest of the family to have with theirs as they can't stand brandy butter. All the more for me. :D

You certainly don't do things by halves Del - Happy Christmas to you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s mank.

Pop it in the microwave, slather a bit of brandy butter on there, some fresh whipped cream and away you go. There's nothing in this life from January to November that can compete with this, the simplest of life's pleasures.

What say ye AH?

MICROWAVE A PUDDING? ARE YOU MAD?:mad:

Oven heat only or steam heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Is that the one that's boiled for a month? My Ma makes it, I always ignored it, might steal a bit this year and see what all the fuss is about. Not much into pudding/dessert me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It's too heavy for Christmas Day. I usually get around to eating it in June. With heaps of custard. Sweating afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

One of the worst things I've ever tasted. Wouldn't eat it if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

My mum's pudding is the best, delicious!

Would you have the recipe please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Would you have the recipe please

I'll have to ask, and I can't guarantee that she'll be willing to share but yeah ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's like a lot of things: get a crap one, of course it's going to suck. A good Christmas pudding, baked just right, with brandy on top and some vanilla ice cream on the side ... yum. Don't bother lighting the brandy on fire, that's just a waste of good brandy. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I don't like it at all.

I still hold that the consumption of this culinary oddity is due more to tradition than for any other reason and that brandy, brandy butter, custard, ice cream and cream is deployed in very liberal quantities to mask the flavour, so we can uphold the tradition and even boast what a lovely plum pudding that was. Today, I smothered my plum pudding portion in chocolate Viennetta and fresh cream so - Yummy, Yummy, Yummy it just had to be ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can take or leave Christmas pudding - I find it very rich. Much prefer a good Christmas cake with icing or a trifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It's alright, but only alright.

Now trifle - oh yeah baby!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement