Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me surprise my wife!

• 21-12-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I bought her a car. It's an 05 estate. I manage to get one for great price. We are both so broke so this surprise will blow her mind. Her current car is an 02 estate that she has had for ages and has been falling apart for as long.

The car is hiding in the big shed I have next to the house. I'm trying to figure out how to surprise her with it. Something smart and funny, like a game.....

Any ideas ah??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Set fire to the old one and when she's in tears on the lawn hand her the keys to the new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

mordeith wrote: »
    Set fire to the old one and when she's in tears on the lawn hand her the keys to the new one

She would love to see it in flames. Such a piece of junk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I can foresee many surprises that may not be quite funny or appropriate.

But I'll start.

Ask her does she fancy an auld ride in the back seat of a motor.

If she says yes, you're quids in. She'll get a surprise, you'll get a ride. Everyones a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Drive it through the wall of the house on Christmas day, that'll surprise her for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Treasure hunt with the car as the treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Do a treasure hunt!

Treasure hunt with the car as the treasure.

Hmm good idea. Pretty dark outside. I suppose I could hide it in house. I shall dwell on this. Ty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tell her you have been cheating on her and you got her something to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The second-last clue should be the gift-wrapped car keys!

And the car should be gift wrapped, of course, with a big fat ribbon!

And maybe a nice other present on the seat when she opens the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Put the keys in a matchbox. Wrap it and then put it in a larger box, wrap that and repeat until you have a big box under the tree. My husbag did that last year, had bought me a phone I really wanted and put it in a series of boxes. Lots of fun and took me completely by surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

"wanna go into the shed for a ride?" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I swapped the car for a younger model. You're next. Surprise!'

Oh, and if you're doing a treasure hunt, come to think of it, you'd better direct her carefully away from the shed! And then the second-last clue is not just the car keys but the shed key too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Is she a Father Ted fan? You could park the real one a bit away but still in sight, get a small model version of the car in a fancy box and when she unwraps and looks confused you can do the old "this ones small, that one's far away" routine...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I surprised one of my former girlfriends by running out the door and never coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Swap her car key on her bunch of keys for the key to the new car, then place a piece of string around the bunch of keys leading out to the drivers door handle of the new car. (be sure she doesn't trip over the piece of string and end up in A&E for Christmas)

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I bought her a car. It's an 05 estate. I manage to get one for great price. We are both so broke so this surprise will blow her mind. Her current car is an 02 estate that she has had for ages and has been falling apart for as long.

The car is hiding in the big shed I have next to the house. I'm trying to figure out how to surprise her with it. Something smart and funny, like a game.....

Any ideas ah??????

If it will "blow her mind" then i think the treasure hunt will be a great idea- do report back on Christmas day to tell us how it went.

Happy Christmas & best of luck- would love to be there to see her reaction:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What colour is the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wrap up the keys and let her open her Christmas present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

You could've really surprised her by buying an 06 saloon. Missed opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Chuchote wrote: »
    The second-last clue should be the gift-wrapped car keys!

And the car should be gift wrapped, of course, with a big fat ribbon!

And maybe a nice other present on the seat when she opens the door.

If you forget to let the cat out before wrapping it.

I surprised one of my former girlfriends by running out the door and never coming back.

Was that a nice surprise or a nasty surprise for her? Just askin', like…

Is she a Father Ted fan? You could park the real one a bit away but still in sight, get a small model version of the car in a fancy box and when she unwraps and looks confused you can do the old "this ones small, that one's far away" routine...

That's gas. Yeah she is a fan. I was going to do it tonight though. So at some point I will have to lead her to the shed so I can put lights on so she can see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Start a row in the kitchen over something trivial and then drag her out to the shed by the hair (pretend you're looking for an axe) and then...

...surprise!

She'll love it.

Swap her car key on her bunch of keys for the key to the new car, then place a piece of string around the bunch of keys leading out to the drivers door handle of the new car. (be sure she doesn't trip over the piece of string and end up in A&E for Christmas)

Hey man. I think this is in the top 3. I could totally swap keys because she has to use car later tonight. She will of course not notice and probably damage the key. Hmm

That's gas. Yeah she is a fan. I was going to do it tonight though. So at some point I will have to lead her to the shed so I can put lights on so she can see it.

Do it with a photo of the car?

And if you can't gift-wrap it, is there any way you could drape Christmas lights over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If you have a friend that has a new or almost brand new car, the more swish the make the better, Merc or BMW etc, see if he could drop by some evening and give you the key. Stick your own car out in the road, then put his in the shed. Then, do the treasure hunt, which will lead her to find the key to this car. Bring her out to your shed and watch as she looses her mind............

Then when she has calmed down, tell her it was all a cunning ruse and her new car is in fact the '05 estate parked in the street there.

What colour is the car?

Kinda dark blue. Like those unmarked garda cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hope its polished up nice and interior .

Nothing nicer than a car looking like new .

I really like idea of a treasure hunt , a simple one.

The thought and idea of making it special makes me feel she's found a fab person . well done you

• Advertisement

One of the clues should be something like -

"Too crocked on the road? Well, that is a puzzler -
    "Next clue's a solution to that old gas guzzler"

Agricola wrote: »
    If you have a friend that has a new or almost brand new car, the more swish the make the better, Merc or BMW etc, see if he could drop by some evening and give you the key. Stick your own car out in the road, then put his in the shed. Then, do the treasure hunt, which will lead her to find the key to this car. Bring her out to your shed and watch as she looses her mind............

Then when she has calmed down, tell her it was all a cunning ruse and her new car is in fact the '05 estate parked in the street there.

She needs the estate cause she plays concert harp and also we have dogs. I did see a BMW 05 estate but mileage way too high and it was twice the price. Maintenance cost is a big factor when your broke. BMW parts would be much higher than Ford Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Go shopping with her, she'll park the car in a big car park. Swap out the keys and swap the old car for the new one. When she goes looking for it tell her to press the button. The new car will light up. You say it's better than your auld banger and pretend to steal it. When she fretting tell her.

Another clue:

"The first is a clue that leads to a tree
    "Take a look in the branches, see what you can see"

I'd say four clues is the right number - with the last being the keys.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Another clue:

"The first is a clue that leads to a tree
    "Take a look in the branches, see what you can see"

I'd say four clues is the right number - with the last being the keys.

They are gold thank you! My buddy messaged me a plan. I got her a boot mat to keep the boot clean from the dogs. He said to give that to her as her real present and eagerly get her to try it out. Then rush her outside and after delay less her to garage etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

She needs the estate cause she plays concert harp and also we have dogs. I did see a BMW 05 estate but mileage way too high and it was twice the price. Maintenance cost is a big factor when your broke. BMW parts would be much higher than Ford Focus.

Well genuine BMW parts would be, but in all the old, and I mean old, beamers I've had, the only genuine parts I've had to buy were wheel bearings because the spurious part just wouldn't last. Other than that, it's been 3rd party stuff all the way and no issues what so ever. When you are talking about 10 plus year old cars, there's not much sense in buying genuine if there's good quality spurious available.

But anyway, I wasn't advocating buying old high mile bmws or mercs. I was just advocating winding her up a bit. I'm just a terrible person though, so don't mind me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Park the car out the front where she can see it with a for sale sign and telephone number on it either yours or hers and say "Oh that looks like a good deal". And that's where I'm stuck I can't think of the rest of the plan . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Absolutely no ideas for you OP, but I LOVE your story and hope it goes well for you and the other half. So much BS at christmas time and you are delighted to be surprising herself with a 2005 Ford Focus Estate. I'm sure she will love it and best of luck with whatever way you decide to surprise her.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Absolutely no ideas for you OP, but I LOVE your story and hope it goes well for you and the other half. So much BS at christmas time and you are delighted to be surprising herself with a 2005 Ford Focus Estate. I'm sure she will love it and best of luck with whatever way you decide to surprise her.

Thanks mate! Have a lovely Christmas yourself.

Soooo… what happened? Did she love it? Tenterhooks deployed here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Too late now but give her an envelope and say you are serving her with divorce papers only for the key to the car to be in there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mordeith wrote: »

I came across this post on the "Daily most Thanked thread posts" page

At the top was the thread title it came from. "Help me surprise my Wife"

I clicked on the link praying it wasn't some guy trying to find a way to tell his wife he was leaving her and this was the most thanked suggestion.

Went very well.

Hid the key in her jacket pocket. Gave her the dog mat for the boot of her car as if it was her main present. I told her we should try her present out (she was not very happy). We went outside and she started complaining so I asked her to go to the shed to get me a measuring tape. I followed her in and when she saw the car we chatted about how nice it was then I told her to reach into her pocket.

She loved it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Ya smoothie ya :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Buy a model Ford Focus estate, wrap it and put it under the tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Buy a model Ford Focus estate, wrap it and put it under the tree.

It would have to be a DeLorean at this stage Fred :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Just had a peek in your shed window there...
    Might wanna try tapping that dent out before she sees it.

Just had a peek in your shed window there...
    Might wanna try tapping that dent out before she sees it.

Creepy. But we have no windows in shed=)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Next time...

Try a big ribbon around it like a present. ,better if you can get one of those car covers.

Or put it across the drive way blocking her in, after a suitable winding up time where the absent inconsiderate owner is blamed you can track down the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Leave her for a 19-year-old.....boy.

Advertisement