Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for cat grooming?

• 21-12-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have adopted an elderly cat. He is not very tolerant of being groomed. Can anyone give me some tips on how to make him feel a bit better about the process.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Start slow and when he is relaxed or half asleep. Do the easy to reach spots like his back first and reward him with a treat and cuddles. Try to do harder spots like flanks bit by bit and stop if he reacts. Keep it to short but frequent sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'd been trying to groom our cats with various different brushes and they always hated it. My latest buy has been a regular glove that has a soft brush on one side. This way it feels similar to being petted. They seem to tolerate it more.

This is what I bought. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/combs_brushes/rubber_brushes_gloves/129853

It doesn't hold quite as much hair as a regular brush but it's better than nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Luckily my long haired cat loves getting brushed. So much so that it's a contest between her and the dog to get the most attention at brushing time.

This is the dog rake I use on her at the moment and is huge beside her but does the job for me - a smaller one would be easier to use though and I'd be certain there are more suitable brushes out there!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AP9A46K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TLRX81E4WJ2B&coliid=I2BIVK0KX6ULW0&psc=1

pretty much repeating other posters but anyhow - starting off to get your cat used to brushing I would limit it to being very gentle with a soft bristle brush or glove type brush to simulate genttle petting and focus on spots the cat already likes being petted. Do this when the cat is tired out and not in a playful mood. Once he's comfortable with this type of contact then move on to other areas over time, never pull knots or it will put the cat off it at this stage. Spend a short amount of time every day trying to get him used to it without being forceful and eventually he may come around and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

Thanks very much. My arm is covered in scratches at the moment. The sight of the brush starts ww111. I have been doing it in stages but I'll wait until he is sleepy and try to make it as relaxing for him for a short time. Hope he gets to accept the brush in time

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

Just saw a frightening report on sky news. A poor cat in Pittsburgh was rescued after years of suffering with a matted coat( dreadlocks). It is not an easy picture to look at so be careful of looking at the photo. Two pounds of matted fur was removed from the poor misfortune. The owner had dementia and had to go to a nursing care home. Upsetting story. The cat is going to a new home after a much needed fur cut
    thankfully!

• Advertisement
Advertisement