Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At 55 y/o guess what I was just quoted for a 911 turbo?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

peteb2 wrote: »
    Not on a car you own yourself. Or spouse in most cases

Put logbook into brother/sister/parent/friend name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Put logbook into brother/sister/parent/friend name

So then when the car is parked up somewhere in a public place and someone asks for evidence of insurance, what are they going to provide? Cos if you are going to suggest fraud you may as well work it all the way through

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was wondering about your car having the Mezger engine. As I don't know much about it, I presumed it hadn't. Makes your purchase all the more clever. And I reckon the 986 and 996 have both reached their lowest values at this stage too :D

You're quite right about only a small percentage of cars suffering catastrophic engine failure because of IMS, what I read said it depends on the engine with it being very rare in the 2.5l (about 2%) but about 10% for 3.2l and 3.4l engines. These things are usually taken completely out of proportion (a bit like the BMW 4 cylinder diesel timing chain issue)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

peteb2 wrote: »
    So then when the car is parked up somewhere in a public place and someone asks for evidence of insurance, what are they going to provide? Cos if you are going to suggest fraud you may as well work it all the way through

Is that the same as a thing I heard of called 'fronting'? I was warned not to even consider it by my insurance company :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Caddyman wrote:
    Is that the same as a thing I heard of called 'fronting'? I was warned not to even consider it by my insurance company

Far worse. Your car wouldn't be insured anywhere for fire and theft.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I was wondering about your car having the Mezger engine. As I don't know much about it, I presumed it hadn't. Makes your purchase all the more clever. And I reckon the 986 and 996 have both reached their lowest values at this stage too :D

You're quite right about only a small percentage of cars suffering catastrophic engine failure because of IMS, what I read said it depends on the engine with it being very rare in the 2.5l (about 2%) but about 10% for 3.2l and 3.4l engines. These things are usually taken completely out of proportion (a bit like the BMW 4 cylinder diesel timing chain issue)

Yes I think the only way is up for the prices of the 986 and the 996 ;)

Most of these things like the IMS get a huge amount of publicity as the people it affects get very vocal on social media. All understandably I suppose as an engine rebuild in a 996 would cost £15-18k which is way more than the price of the car seeing as early 996 3.4s can be bought for sub £12K in the UK right now. :eek:

Bit of a personal question - feel free to ignore it completely :)

You had it checked out in Belfast, so I presume it's a UK reg car? How much was your VRT bill and did you get a quote before you imported? There are no Porsches on the VRT calculator web site :rolleyes:

I've sent emails to the VRT crowd before (back in the day before it was handled by NCT) and most of the time I got no reply back, which made it too risky for me to go ahead and import one

Bit of a personal question - feel free to ignore it completely :)

You had it checked out in Belfast, so I presume it's a UK reg car? How much was your VRT bill and did you get a quote before you imported? There are no Porsches on the VRT calculator web site :rolleyes:

I've sent emails to the VRT crowd before (back in the day before it was handled by NCT) and most of the time I got no reply back, which made it too risky for me to go ahead and import one

Actually it started out as a UK car but came to Dublin 2 years later. I had it checked out in Belfast as I just had another turbo reconditioned there and have had two previous 911's that I owned serviced there and so I know the guys there really well and trust what they say! I had the car back up last Wednesday and had new discs and pads fitted to the rear plus several smaller items to leave it as close to perfect as I can manage. :)

I know the VRT is a hit and miss situation for anything that is not on the list already which is a load of crap but there you have it. I'd be very slow to take in a 911 turbo until this is rectified as you could be hit for God only knows what amount of money! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What year is the 911 - it might qualify for classic - my 2003 does, so my NCB is mirrored. There is a mileage restriction p.a. on it though. (6k)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Caddyman wrote: »
    Yes I think the only way is up for the prices of the 986 and the 996 ;)

Most of these things like the IMS get a huge amount of publicity as the people it affects get very vocal on social media. All understandably I suppose as an engine rebuild in a 996 would cost £15-18k which is way more than the price of the car seeing as early 996 3.4s can be bought for sub £12K in the UK right now. :eek:

You'd get an n/a M96 engine rebuilt for Stg £7.5k now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    What year is the 911 - it might qualify for classic - my 2003 does, so my NCB is mirrored. There is a mileage restriction p.a. on it though. (6k)

I was told it wasn't old enough (2002) plus its too high a class!

galwaytt wrote: »
    You'd get an n/a M96 engine rebuilt for Stg £7.5k now.

Thanks for the info but I hope I never have to find out for real if I ever buy one of those cars ;)

I just today cancelled the insurance policy I took out before Christmas as one of the companies I tried on the 22nd Dec came back with an offer of a standalone policy without the need for the Audi being insured with them plus it is now 'open drive' which means that anybody 30+ with a full licence can drive it and it will still be fully comp! And it's €200 cheaper! Happy Days! :D

Aren't you forgetting to mention something in there? ;)

Aren't you forgetting to mention something in there? ;)

I did reply to you a few days ago on the VRT question if thats what you mean! Otherwise you'll have to spell it out as I'm recovering from the cold and my mind is gone soggy :o

I meant you didn't say which insurance company you signed up with now :p

I meant you didn't say which insurance company you signed up with now :p

I don't think I mentioned any of them :pac:

PM me if you want the names of the broker and the insurance company :)

You mentioned you were gonna try Campions around the time? Did they do the trick for you?

Not for me anyway. I'm happily married to my broker First Ireland who provides me classic insurance (through AIG) :)

But I thought it might help others in your situation. Why not mention here who you got sorted with and how much you're paying? Unless it was some sort of hush hush deal you got :p

You mentioned you were gonna try Campions around the time? Did they do the trick for you?

Not for me anyway. I'm happily married to my broker First Ireland who provides me classic insurance (through AIG) :)

But I thought it might help others in your situation. Why not mention here who you got sorted with and how much you're paying? Unless it was some sort of hush hush deal you got :p

There's no more hush hush in this country since Charlie & Bertie dropped off the scene :pac:

Ok for the sake of all you boards.ie folks thinking of buying a 911 turbo here's the best insurance deal I could get! I'm a male, 55 with a full Irish licence since 1978 with a full no claims bonus of 10+ years (I think they take 5 years into account) and no penalty points. After going round in circles (as you can read at the beginning of this thread) I ended up with a garage owner recommending me to Ben McArdle Insurances in Stillorgan business park in Blackrock (John McArdle is the man to talk to. He's into his own classic and sports cars!). He got me a standalone policy with a huge company (that I never heard of before) called Dual Private Client who got me fully comp insurance on a 2002 996 turbo with a €1,000 excess on a value of €60k and 'open driving' for any full licence holder over 35 which means they would have full comp as well while driving it for €1,040. They said they mirrored my existing no claims bonus on my everyday car!

Phew thats it! Let me know if thats enough info :D

PS.... Unkel, now it's your turn to give us the lowdown on your AIG policy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

ASFIK if you have a claim on either your existing policy or your new 911 then both your policies will be affected too.

.:confused:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He got me a standalone policy with a huge company (that I never heard of before) called Dual Private Client who got me fully comp insurance on a 2002 996 turbo with a €1,000 excess on a value of €60k and 'open driving' for any full licence holder over 35 which means they would have full comp as well while driving it for €1,040. They said they mirrored my existing no claims bonus on my everyday car!
    That's very good CM! Nice one and very nice car. :) And fair play to your insurer and I'm glad they're getting a shout out for not peddling highway robbery. I'm awaiting a call back from a broker on Monday, but if they don't come through I'll defo try your chap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Thank you Caddyman for the valuable info after all your searching.
    I am sure that many Boardsies appreciate your feedback.
    DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I am looking to insure a 996 turbo on a fully comp basis and with no claims ever and a clean licence for over 30 years I just got quoted €3,450! This is a second car for me so they said I have ZERO no claims discount as the discounts are used for my daily work car. Holy crap I though these figures were for 18 year olds looking to insure a VW GTI or something like that. :eek:
    This was with my current insurance company who are probably the biggest in Ireland and based on a max 5,000 miles a year and a €500 excess.

What company will insure me a for a 'reasonable' premium??
    Any help would be much appreciated :)
    The biggest in Ireland? Not a bunch of Real Scummy Arseholes, by chance?

Try calling around, esp to underwriters directly where possible, this is a classic example of why I stopped working in insurance, it's a murky, scummy business. They -can- give you a full 5 years NCB but they do not -have- to, so they are just trying to rip you for whatever they can. Mirroring a NCB is discretionary and often seems to just be done on a whim (or if you happen to know the person doing the insurance).

AXA, Zurich, Allianz, Kennco, etc. Give them all a buzz and see what the craic is. When is your home or other car insurance up? Trust me, you'll be amazed how "sorry there's nothing we can do about that" changes when you dangle some carrots+ in front of them.

Do you happen to be a named driver on any other policies for the past several years? It needs to bhe without so much as a day of being off the policy, but pretty much always they will give you an NCB to match that which typically works out the same in terms of cost. Which just shows the "sorry we can't mirror your NCB" farce up for what it really is, a cash grab.

EDIT: Nevermind I see you got it sorted, good on you! :)

PS.... Unkel, now it's your turn to give us the lowdown on your AIG policy ;)

I've done that several times, both in the classic cars forum and in the motors forum :)

But basically, I don't have insurance on a normal car (but I am a named driver). With this setup First Ireland (broker) arranged a classic policy for me (about €350 per year fully comprehensive, still building my NCB!!!)

I've had a lot of different cars on it since I started the policy. All of them over 15 but under 20 years old. Adding a car is cheap. At some point I added my Porsche Boxster as an additional car and it cost €50 fully comp for the remaining 8 months of my policy. Happy with that for sure :)

Under 20 year old cars on classic insurance is no longer possible for new business with First Ireland, but it's ok for existing policies, so long may it last!

Billy86 wrote: »
    The biggest in Ireland? Not a bunch of Real Scummy Arseholes, by chance?

It was Another Xtremely Awful insurance company in fact!:(

Apoligies for the poor spelling but I couldn't come up with anything better :pac:

scotchy wrote: »
    ASFIK if you have a claim on either your existing policy or your new 911 then both your policies will be affected too.

.:confused:

They have you every way it seems :confused:

Thanks for the info btw....

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's very good CM! Nice one and very nice car. :) And fair play to your insurer and I'm glad they're getting a shout out for not peddling highway robbery. I'm awaiting a call back from a broker on Monday, but if they don't come through I'll defo try your chap.

If you don't get sorted then give John McArdle a call on 086-8224400.
    Let us know how you got on and the best of luck :)

deandean wrote: »
    Thank you Caddyman for the valuable info after all your searching.
    I am sure that many Boardsies appreciate your feedback.
    DD.

Glad to be of service to the community at large :P

I've done that several times, both in the classic cars forum and in the motors forum :)

But basically, I don't have insurance on a normal car (but I am a named driver). With this setup First Ireland (broker) arranged a classic policy for me (about €350 per year fully comprehensive, still building my NCB!!!)

I've had a lot of different cars on it since I started the policy. All of them over 15 but under 20 years old. Adding a car is cheap. At some point I added my Porsche Boxster as an additional car and it cost €50 fully comp for the remaining 8 months of my policy. Happy with that for sure :)

Under 20 year old cars on classic insurance is no longer possible for new business with First Ireland, but it's ok for existing policies, so long may it last!

Good to know that there's more than one way to skin an insurance cat!
    I suppose it's a case of getting the best deal for each individual's circumstances! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    You have no bonus to use...

This is the nonsense.

A NCB is a reduction in the premium based on your good record which evidences that you are a lower risk motorist.

In the OP's case they have evidence for 30 years no claims driving. Its total nonsense to say that this evidence can only apply to one car. In fact, because the OP can only drive one car at a time, the premium should be even lower still.

Irish insurers seem to have lots of petty rules, all to their advantage, which insurers in other parts of Europe would regard as unbelievable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement