Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2016

• 21-12-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's been a pretty good year for the Irish team in 2016. The performance at the Euros was considered satisfactory by most fans, and that was followed up by 10 points from 12 games in the World Cup Qualifiers to see us end the year on top of Group D. Several players are also doing well at their clubs.

I was thinking about the players that have done well this year and I think there are almost a dozen or so names that deserve credit. I'm wondering, though, which player you consider to have been the best player overall? I'm having trouble deciding myself so I'm keen to hear some other thoughts.

I thought I would run a poll to see what the forum thinks. (I'll add the poll in a moment). Here are some contenders that stood out in my mind.

Darren Randolph - Kept a hold of the number one jersey and produced solid displays for the most part. His form has also seen him become first choice at his club West Ham.

Stephen Ward - Often a maligned figure amongst supporters, he has improved a great deal in 2016 and has become first choice in a position that has been problematic for us for quite a while. By doing so it's allowed Brady play higher up the pitch. He's also done well with his club Burnley.

Seamus Coleman - Took over the captaincy following Robbie Keane's retirement and has grown into the role well. He got the winning goal in the 1-0 win over Georgia and he's been producing some strong performances for Everton too.

Robbie Brady - Scored a memorable goal against Italy at the Euros, and was cool enough to tuck away the penalty against France as well. It surprised many that he didn't get a move to the Premier League in the summer as he was arguably the star player for Ireland in France.

Jeff Hendrick - Unlike Brady, Hendrick did get his move to the Premier League with Burnley, and he has done well, even scoring one of the goals of the season recently against Bournemouth. He was another who it could be argued was the star performer in France and has become an important player this year.

Harry Arter - Produced a MOTM display in a pre-Euros friendly against the Netherlands before injury kept him from competing. Finally put to bed any doubts about his commitment by featuring in Ireland's historic 1-0 win away to Austria where he played very well.

James McClean - Is the current top scorer for Ireland in the group with 3 goals, including the crucial winner in the Austria game. Has also performed well for West Brom too.

Wes Hoolahan - Continues to be a vital creative player going forward; scored Ireland's first goal of the Euros against Sweden and bounced back from missing a chance against Italy by floating in a great cross for Brady who did score.

Daryl Horgan - Came to wider national prominence with a string of top class displays for Dundalk domestically and in the Europa League. Went on to earn a move to Preston on the back of his impressive year. Is he your choice for the win?

Feel free to mention someone you think has been overlooked. I didn't mention any strikers because I don't feel they performed at the level of the players above. Maybe that's harsh, I dunno. Meyler did well when called upon against Austria but I thought the idea of him as player of the year would be stretching it.

Which player for you has been the standout Irish player of 2016?

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2016 139 votes

Darren Randolph
    0%
    Stephen Ward
    0%
    Bobby Baccala 1 vote
    Seamus Coleman
    0%
    Mr. FoggPatches 1 vote
    Robbie Brady
    22%
    bytePete M.chopperbyrne~Rebel~Joeyjoejoe43fred funk }{5starpoolMushylivinginkoreaeagle eyeMr. GuappaIang87niallo278-10LumboDanyeBilly86AgileMythVanolderCrackle 31 votes
    Jeff Hendrick
    19%
    gandalfBounty HunterUnearthlyJulezShanotheslayerHammer ArcherThunbergsAreGodoncarlosLiam OOmeceronduffman13Skylineheadsky88Ferris_Buellermassdebaterricerodarcedben.schlomoDonnielightoOsmosis Jones 27 votes
    Harry Arter
    13%
    Kingp35Mr.Nice Guyyabadabadociaran76[Deleted User]dfx-Sideshow MarkThat_GuyGavRedKingjackwiganToobzSlattsydr.kenneth noisewaterDaveSuarezBleating LambMinderbinderkeeponhurlingAgent CoulsonTom Mann Centuria 19 votes
    James McClean
    0%
    Wes Hoolahan
    15%
    [Deleted User]Roddy23ctrl-alt-deletePigheadhomerjay2005Collie DMatt BiancotankoPocaidehowiyaElChe32CSFcj maxxLuckyGent88JayopRoyal LegendFrancie Barrettjohn whyA Brad Maddox GuyKenjataimu 22 votes
    Daryl Horgan
    2%
    applehunterCantGetNoSleep3hn2givr7mx1scBrussels Sprout 4 votes
    Other (specify)
    24%
    super_furryDempseyBogMickerooMonkeyTennisWhite HorseNukaColaredzerdrogGavin "shels"corcaigh07DrumStevemonkey9justshanePaz-CCFCblindpilotjohnnyryan89pablomakaveliSM01Diabhal BeagCaptain Havoc 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jeff Hendrick
    Tough one for me, toss up between Brady and McClean in my opinion some good performances this year from Horgan, Hendrick and Coleman but for his Euro performances id nudge for Brady slightly ahead of McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Jeff Hendrick
    It is a tough question, and as good as your synopsis is, I struggled to make a decision myself.

Robbie Brady gets the nod because of the magnitude of those goals and the fact that he's been a very consistent performer all year. Hoolohan and Hendrick were both class acts, and I'm beginning to love McClean too, a player I've been a bit critical of in the past.

Horgan was superb for Dundalk on their European run, which was in my opinion the Irish sporting achievement of the year ahead of a one off rugby game in Chicago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wes Hoolahan
    Also a tough one for me.

Think Hendrick was our best player in France, deserved a goal.

In the qualifiers so far McClean has grown from what could be described as a headless chicken into giving three MOTM performances. Work ethic is immense.

Brady with his two goals at the Euros.

Hoolahan for his vision and passes. I was about three rows from the front behind goal in Lille and he probably heard me cursing him when he fluffed the chance against Italy but made up for it a minute later with the ball to Brady for the goal.

I'll give McClean the vote but it has been a good year overall.

Above all based on performances for Ireland only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jeff Hendrick
    Went with Brady for his international performances, less so at club level. Horgan would be my choice if it was based on club performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Robbie Brady
    I voted for Coleman.
    He's taken on his role as captain really well and his goal against Georgia could turn out to be huge when qualification is over.
    Has been Ireland's best player at club level too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jeff Hendrick
    Hard to choose, a lot of players had a brilliant year in an Irish jersey but nobody has been head and shoulders above the rest, based on performances in an Irish shirt I would say it comes down to Hendrick, Brady, Hoolahan and McClean. I picked Brady as his goal against Italy will probably be one of the most memorable moments in football that I'll ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Other (specify)
    It was hard to choose between Horgan or Brady, but it has to be Horgan for me.

Certainly, Brady's goal against Italy is up there with the Houghton goals etc, but on a consistant level, Horgan has been superb in both the LOI and Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Harry Arter
    a couple of candidates. Coleman taking on the armband meaning it's alright to drop O'Shea, Brady's goal and general threat level, McClean too, but I'd say Hendrick.

He definitely offers some life in midfield that has been stuck in neutral with Whelan/McCarthy arguments without ever getting anywhere. Very impressive in Austria and against Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Brady or McLean, but Brady gets it for cause of Euros.

Ward for most improved player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Robbie Brady
    Coleman for me. He's our best player and always consistent for us and his club team, has been for years. Never less than 7 out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Robbie Brady
    Seamus Coleman.

He's become a great leader in the past year and his Irish form which for a long while never quite matched up to his Everton from has improved noticeably since O'Neill has taken over and in the past year I think he's been outstanding.He's been excellent for Everton this season as well.

H's now the first name on the team sheet for Ireland and will be for a good while to come come.

Wes Hoolahan
    Seamus Coleman - I initially criticized the decision when he chosen as Captain ( I argued John O Shea should hold it)
    However I was proven wrong, he looks a real leader for Ireland.
    He's also having a great season for Everton this year. Was stunted last season by Martinez and his "tactics" for Everton however.
    Second has to McClean: Proven alot of doubters wrong, with his work ethic and goals. He seems to have settled down a little bit but there will always be bite in him which I like. The guy clearly loves playing for his country which is also great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Harry Arter
    I've went for Hendrick over Coleman.

Everton were pretty dire last year and Colemans fortunes have only really improved with Koeman since the start of the EPL campaign. I dont think Coleman was all that impressive in France either but that could be down to me expecting so much from a player who is hands down our best talent right now.

Hendrick has had a very good 12 months I feel and hes made the step up from Championship to EPL and International level and hasnt really looked fazed by it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wes Hoolahan
    Found it hard to decide between Coleman and McClean but ended up plumping for the latter as I think he has come on leaps and bounds in 2016. He has turned into one of our most important players and despite still being a bit rough around the edges he is definitely one of our most potent attacking weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Harry Arter
    Went with Hendrick. He was our best player in France, Brady got the goals but I thought Hendrick was excellent in all games. McLean has been our best players in the qualifers so far and Coleman has also stepped since being made captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Seamus Coleman
    Went with Stephen ward as I'd be gutted for him if he got no votes after playing so well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wes Hoolahan
    McClean for me aswell. He has stepped it up numerous notches. Excellent in a green jersey this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jeff Hendrick
    Big Coleman fan and McClean has shoved it down the haters throat but that Brady goal was legitimately one of the best moments of my life. Has to be him.

Wes Hoolahan
    Liam O wrote: »
    Big Coleman fan and McClean has shoved it down the haters throat but that Brady goal was legitimately one of the best moments of my life. Has to be him.

Behind the goal by any chance? I may have hugged you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Robbie Brady
    Went with Coleman, he's proving to be a fantastic leader for both Ireland and Everton. Loved his performance against arsenal recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Robbie Brady
    This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Harry Arter
    Jeff Hendrick. Easily our player of the tournament at Euro 16. Brady tool the plaudits for his goal but Hendrick was very good in all games and our standout player. He has solidified his position in our starting 11 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Harry Arter
    Lot of good arguments made and it shows how tough it is to single one player out. I decided to go for Hendrick on the basis that he really stepped it up this year and showed himself to be someone that can be counted on as a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Harry Arter
    Voted for Hendrick myself. I think he'll prove to be a very big player for the national team and had a great Euro's. His drive and determination to get on the ball was truly great to see.

Having a good time with Burnley too and scored a cracker the other week. Big potential.

----
    Honourable mentions:

McClean has been excellent of late and every time he pulls on a green jersey he just seems to grow more into the role. Looks like a man possessed and is having a blinder in the WC Qualifiers as it stands.

Daryl Horgan has been consistent in the LOI and has caught the attention of many. That Dundalk team in general has done so with their European adventure.

Certainly exciting to have a graduate from the LOI bursting through to the Irish team. Hopefully he can keep up this level of performance in that Preston team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Robbie Brady
    It's very hard for a defender to win awards these days but Seamus Coleman has been our most consistent player all through 2016. Robbie Brady has been great too and Jeff Hendrick improved all year. Mc Clean has been great in the qualifiers but he wasn't so good in the Euros or before them.

I have to vote for Coleman just ahead of Brady with Hendrick a not too distant third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Robbie Brady
    Overall - Coleman

For the national team - McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wes Hoolahan
    Mad to see Daryl Horgan in front here despite only one person posting him as their choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jeff Hendrick
    I went for Brady. Yeah there has probably been more consistent players but he gave me one of the best football moments ever so I'm voting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Other (specify)
    Daryl Horgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Other (specify)
    Daryl Horgan, probably being the most talked about Irish player of 2016 and for all the right reasons. Hopefully he can improve on the year he just had in 2017 over with Preston and get that Irish cap he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Harry Arter
    Congratulations to Daryl Horgan, your choice as the Boards Soccer Forum Irish Player of the Year for 2016.

2016-10-14_spo_25471654_I1.JPG

1st place - Daryl Horgan - 24%
    2nd place - Seamus Coleman - 22%
    3rd place - Robbie Brady - 19%

Here's hoping 2017 proves even better than 2016, and we have just as many players who impress us.

Poll is closed but I'd have gone for Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Respect to whatever Daryl Horgan did this year but I'd have voted for Robbie Brady too.

Recount?

Advertisement