Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep therapist?

Options
  • 21-12-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

My sleep cycle is, at best, erratic. I never have an uninterrupted sleep. I frequently wake for various reasons: night sweats, night terrors, and sometimes for no reason.

I frequently sleep walk. I often wake up with my head at the opposite end of the bed that I went to sleep at, sometimes in different pjs that I went to sleep in, or sometimes naked.

I sleep eat. I go walking around the house and can wake up with all sorts in my bed. I woke with a sewing kit beside me one morning.

I sleep text/email but am entirely understandable in messages and emails I send. They're frequently responding to work related emails that I haven't had a chance to respond to.

I sometimes do online shopping in my sleep. I have made some really interesting purchases on my kindle this year. My favourite purchase though was some Lego that I had lusted after.

I have tried keeping a sleep diary and an activity diary to see if anything matched. Nothing.

Diet is relatively healthy. Obviously not so much in December. I exercise. I have tried to cut out caffeine after lunch, and screens and everything else in bed. But I have no issues in falling asleep. It's staying asleep that's my problem.

Last night I woke at 1.30 (for 10 mins), 3.30 (for 20 mins) and 6 (couldn't get back to sleep and then fell asleep at 7, alarm went off at 7.15).

My question is. Has anyone been to a sleep therapist? Is this the kind of thing they deal with, or do they mainly work with insomnia? I ask as I notice that my GP practice has taken a sleep therapist into their staff.

Appreciate any input!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

sullivlo wrote: »
    Last night I woke at 1.30 (for 10 mins), 3.30 (for 20 mins) and 6 (couldn't get back to sleep and then fell asleep at 7, alarm went off at 7.15).
    I often wake up at random times during the course of a night, and I do something, rather than toss and turn. Read or visit boards or answer emails or do a bit of work. After a few minutes my eyes get heavy and I'm in dreamland.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    My question is. Has anyone been to a sleep therapist? Is this the kind of thing they deal with, or do they mainly work with insomnia? I ask as I notice that my GP practice has taken a sleep therapist into their staff.
    Ask your GP or her/his sleep therapist what services are provided? Sometimes a receptionist can send a brochure describing what they do.

Advertisement