Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I'm thinking back to when Dermot got diagnosed, wasn't it that he mildly fainted one day at the station while talking to Carol and was diagnosed with liver cancer being the cause by the end of the episode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Is the arcade also the marketplace? Does Don Paulioni own the arcade too?

There are too many locations in Fair City - the set design of the arcade is very unrealistic looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭LushiousLips

Cormdogg wrote:
    Anyone reckon Nicola will roll into town soon? Surprised she's not trying to help find Oisin's future millions. Cant be much keeping her in Mallow? Why did they pick Mallow? It's a fairly one horse town, not near as salubrious as other towns in the west of Cork? And what/where was this fancy education Oisin is always in about? Was he a border somewhere? Clongowes or somewhere? There was never a sniff of him going off to College? Some education

Oiiii I'm from Mallow and we have plenty of horses here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Pretzill wrote: »

There are too many locations in Fair City - the set design of the arcade is very unrealistic looking.

Yeah, the Arcade is very Wonderly-Wagon like.

I worked in RTE years ago and they would get props from the Rte canteen, like empty coke cans. . .. Things have improved now that they have an €11m budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Doug's hair! .... I was watching Enda Kenny on the news today and the first thing I noticed was that Enda Kenny has the same hair style as Doug.. Ha!

Has he dyed his hair? It looks a lot darker than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Pretzill wrote: »

We never saw the outside of it. It just appeared one day. Weren't Jake and Christiano supposed to open a restaurant? We've only seen a coffee shop table so far. Not even a till or a coffee machine. We put up with such crap from this show.

Also the garage Paul is trying to save hasn't been shown in about 4 months. He must have lost it already and hasn't noticed yet, just like his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

The more perceptive of you may have noticed I'm not posting that much on the thread anymore. Oh I still read it daily and watch FC but to be honest I'm depressed by it all at this stage. What once was an odd gaffe here and there is now a litany of totally unrealistic scenarios, zero continuity and basically treating the audience as morons with the attention span of a goldfish and worldly knowledge of a lost South American tribe.

Try finishing this sentence : FC expects us to believe that .....
    You have no problem finishing the sentence in any number of ways.

Last night was another new low. The woman who interviewed Eoghan and whom he has called his boss for a fortnight now suddenly isn't his boss ! Now she's the bosse's landlady and part time secretary. Words fail me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Ah lads, I don't actually contribute much to this board as I cannot compete with the posters here in terms of comedy factor, but I read it everyday and I think at this stage it's the only reason I'm still watching FC.

So I just want to say 'Thank You' to you all for my daily laughter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

happyday wrote: »
    We never saw the outside of it. It just appeared one day. Weren't Jake and Christiano supposed to open a restaurant? We've only seen a coffee shop table so far. Not even a till or a coffee machine. We put up with such crap from this show.

Also the garage Paul is trying to save hasn't been shown in about 4 months. He must have lost it already and hasn't noticed yet, just like his money.
    I wouldn't worry about not seeing the garage.

For about the first twenty years of the programme's existence we never saw the inside of it, rain, hail or shine good old H. Molloy and staff would be working on a car outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,341 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I still am a little perplexed at how Gripey seems to have completely forgotten about K T..... Like I said previously, fit to be sectioned a few weeks back with stress and pain, and now not a bother ripping off poor unfortunates of their hard earned 28 euro coins without a passing thought for the poor lass being held captive by super strength Andrex bog roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,770 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When I first heard arcade, I was expecting games arcade not what looks like a fair/market/boot sale

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭waterlesshouse

monkey9 wrote: »
    She must just be the overall manager of the arcade, but the stalls have various owners.

not buying it. She interviewed him for a job at the "arcade". She reprimanded him and told him to get along with the Chile boys as they pay her rent. So now we are to believe there is another person between her and a cart??? How lucrative can a phone cover stall be? Rental of space and hire a guy to stand at it all day? And surely said owner/boss of the cart would have been the one to interview Gripey. Why would she get involved? Am I missing out on the millions to be made in phone covers??? Also, If you apply or a position in a shop/factory/office, , the owner/manager of the business itself interviews you not the landlord of the property. And why would gripeys boss text her about his phone stall, surely she has enough to deal with. How ironic that Gripeys phone was out of battery.... him working around phone accessories all day long.:D:D:D
    The writers changed the scenario and tried to do it so subtly
    thinking we wouldnt notice because the great "plan" story as us all on the edge of our seats...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Personally I reckon they originally were going to have Eoghan in an amusement arcade. There was no mention of phone covers or a stall !! The set would have cost a fortune though. Then they decided to rope in Chile boys and make it a phone stall. Yer wan had to have a different role especially if she gets with Eoghan. . Which she will .. guaranteed! !

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭waterlesshouse

desbrook wrote: »
    Personally I reckon they originally were going to have Eoghan in an amusement arcade. There was no mention of phone covers or a stall !! The set would have cost a fortune though. Then they decided to rope in Chile boys and make it a phone stall. Yer wan had to have a different role especially if she gets with Eoghan. . Which she will .. guaranteed! !

I totally agree with above. :D:D:D

When Oisin first arrived wasn't he supposed to rob all over Paul's money

As for your man throwing down 28 euro for 3 phones cases what the **** so stupid (rolls eyes)

and whats with the gay chili bloke & Owen's sexual tension and 10 euro a head for a fry up Ugh! WHY is Niamh going tomorrow not Valentines day

Now 10,000 of the 80,00 grand is missing

Where's Dermot
    Where's Zoey
    Where's Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The side stories in FC are really the pits and they seem thrown together for the simple purpose of killing time, not to entertain the audience:

Dusty and Ray a couple? Gone...

Mondo being taken advantage of by Hayley? Gone...

Amanda still homeless? Nobody cares...

Alanah and Caoimhe Bessie mates? Gone...

Dan and Dean discussing Lauras sex life? Back any day now for Round 23232.

FC is not answerable to anybody, they get half a million viewers every ep and only about 0.0000001% of them (people in this thread) see how crap it is, the rest gush about how gripping and realistic it is. We are outnumbered, people. With that set up they have zero incentive to improve.

Any improvements or quality acting is a lucky accident. :(

Where is Charlotte, I was expecting Paul to blame her like he does Wayne

Is she with Oisin or Callum now?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

The new cafe place reminds me of a big folded menu.
    Catering-Food-Menu-Template-Download.jpg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is Charlotte, I was expecting Paul to blame her like he does Wayne

Tending to one of her dozen businesses I guess. Probably the carrot planting one....She's making a fooking killing I hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

The guy that is Niamhs client, that pretended to be interested in the pod, isn't he the same guy that groped Jane in the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The side stories in FC are really the pits and they seem thrown together for the simple purpose of killing time, not to entertain the audience:

Dusty and Ray a couple? Gone...

Mondo being taken advantage of by Hayley? Gone...

Amanda still homeless? Nobody cares...

Alanah and Caoimhe Bessie mates? Gone...

Dan and Dean discussing Lauras sex life? Back any day now for Round 23232.

FC is not answerable to anybody, they get half a million viewers every ep and only about 0.0000001% of them (people in this thread) see how crap it is, the rest gush about how gripping and realistic it is. We are outnumbered, people. With that set up they have zero incentive to improve.

Any improvements or quality acting is a lucky accident. :(

THIS.

Not posting as much, but reading. Taking the piss out of FC is just too easy now. It has even gone beyond a joke. I know soaps are effectively crap and thrashy TV produced quickly. I've no problem with that. But FC takes it to a new level entirely. I hold it up as yet another example of how RTE is littered with mediorce talent that believes in its own hype.

starWave wrote: »
    The guy that is Niamhs client, that pretended to be interested in the pod, isn't he the same guy that groped Jane in the bar?

Yes Hughie's friend who Niamh also knows apparently

I thought Hughie knew him off the cruise ships

Grandeeod wrote: »
    THIS.

Not posting as much, but reading. Taking the piss out of FC is just too easy now. It has even gone beyond a joke. I know soaps are effectively crap and thrashy TV produced quickly. I've no problem with that. But FC takes it to a new level entirely. I hold it up as yet another example of how RTE is littered with mediorce talent that believes in its own hype.

Add to this the fact that stars of FC are always interviewed by essentially another leg of RTE- RTE Guide, Late Late Show, Two Tube and RTE Radio and that goes a long way towards explaining why there is such a united and criticism-free image of FC, nobody is ever questioned too deeply or there is never anything negative said about the show.

They need to be thrown onto Jonathon Ross or somebody like that and slagged off about the scripts and their acting, their thin skins would walk out after 10 seconds, Imagine Rossy telling Paul and Niamh "Why the hell would you still stay with this man after all he has done to you, where is your dignity woman? And Paul, a bit old for affairs now aren't you??". They wouldn't know WHAT to say...

Well, if FC ever starts to become remotely realistic and interesting I'm the hell out of here.

walshb wrote: »
    Well, if FC ever starts to become remotely realistic and interesting I'm the hell out of here.

Yeah right you would still watch it if it was good admit it!

Add to this the fact that stars of FC are always interviewed by essentially another leg of RTE- RTE Guide, Late Late Show, Two Tube and RTE Radio and that goes a long way towards explaining why there is such a united and criticism-free image of FC, nobody is ever questioned too deeply or there is never anything negative said about the show.

They need to be thrown onto Jonathon Ross or somebody like that and slagged off about the scripts and their acting, their thin skins would walk out after 10 seconds, Imagine Rossy telling Paul and Niamh "Why the hell would you still stay with this man after all he has done to you, where is your dignity woman? And Paul, a bit old for affairs now aren't you??". They wouldn't know WHAT to say...

Its the cosy cartel that is RTE. Just look at the LLS and that other abomination the Ray Darcy Show. Both spend more time promoting in-house rubbish than anything else. Once the summer arrives and those shows go on their holiers, a relacement RTE hack will be drafted in to give us another chat show that will spend most of its time back slapping RTE colleagues.

I don't want to get too intense because this is a great thread. A very funny thread. However a point arrives when it gets very hard to be funny about this FC drivel. You can pick a hole or 10 in any soap. Its Swiss cheese TV. Easy viewing with some semblence of structure. But FC isn't a slice of Swiss cheese. It isn't even a case of Swiss Cheese. It's a fooking warehouse of Swiss Cheese.

Yeah right you would still watch it if it was good admit it!

Why? I can 100 percent say that this thread has me watching..no thread, not a hope I'd deliberately watch it...

Throw in Late Late and D'Arcy show. The threads make both shows bearable.

Throw in Late Late and D'Arcy show. The threads make both shows bearable.

Touche!

• Advertisement

Why? I can 100 percent say that this thread has me watching..no thread, not a hope I'd deliberately watch it...

Yeah but that's not what you said. You said that if FC ever became realistic or interesting you wouldn't watch it anymore. So if by some miracle it became must watch tv and nobody here was slagging it would you still post?? I probably would still be posting but mostly in shock at the change in quality!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement