Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He died a few years ago. Uncle Albert took his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

coolhull wrote: »
    A few more questions to add to Wanderer's list :

How are the Gardaí managing to keep such a low profile while investigating a serious fraud case ?
    Is it because none of the main witnesses, participants, or suspects are ever at home, they're in the pub, chipshop, or walking the streets?
    Did Pete, Dolly, Caoimhe, Head 'n' Shoulders, Glenrose, Cash, and Charlie all disappear off the face of the earth?
    Is Caoimhe's new(ish) baby still in her buggy on the pavement, even in this cold weather?
    Who's changing the pillow - cases in Room 4 of the Dolphin Pod, now that Oisín sees himself as a kind of Mini-Trump?
    How does KT exist on a diet of apples, crisps and Pringles for eight months? Does she never fancy a bit of hot food, just for a change?
    Have both of Binjimim mothers given up on him? And could you blame them?
    Why hasn't Niamh told Hughie the Hypocrite to mind his own bloody business?
    And why are we looking for answers to these questions, as if anyone in the production team know or care about anything?
    Has Fair City driven us all to madness, or is it just me?

Ha ha the ironic thing is, while we make lists and criticise, those scriptwriters are probably laughing their heads off at us on the way to the bank to pick up their oversized wages and no doubt wondering what we will make of the next few months of rubbish ahead. Indeed, id say any actors who do peek here are also probably laughing at us, so I am not going to invest in FC that much. It is what it is, and its probably never going to change so I'm in it for the laughs now before I get too sucked in. The thing to remember is: Paul and NIamh will be there forever, Dermot will be there forever so all this is moot. :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I think I get why FC have such outrageous unbelievable storylines and half the time look like they make up storylines as they go along....

When they put on these episodes throughout the week people have already had a shít day and all these veiwers want to do is pull up the armchail with a nice cuppa an tae and a kimberly and tune into something where they can escape for half an hour. The viewers dont want to watch real life believable things on TV that would be just like living real life and that would be boring... so thanks to FC they take the viewer away from their mundane real life situations and transport the viewer to the magical world of Carriagstown - a bit like Disney land do with the kids ...

And all this for a licence fee that costs less than a pint of milk a day ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Does the HDU sign outside the hospital ward stand for Header Dependency Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ha ha the ironic thing is, while we make lists and criticise, those scriptwriters are probably laughing their heads off at us on the way to the bank to pick up their oversized wages and no doubt wondering what we will make of the next few months of rubbish ahead. Indeed, id say any actors who do peek here are also probably laughing at us, so I am not going to invest in FC that much. It is what it is, and its probably never going to change so I'm in it for the laughs now before I get too sucked in. The thing to remember is: Paul and NIamh will be there forever, Dermot will be there forever so all this is moot. :P:D

What actors? Nobody in fair city can act.

• Advertisement

I think I get why FC have such outrageous unbelievable storylines and half the time look like they make up storylines as they go along....

When they put on these episodes throughout the week people have already had a shít day and all these veiwers want to do is pull up the armchail with a nice cuppa an tae and a kimberly and tune into something where they can escape for half an hour. The viewers dont want to watch real life believable things on TV that would be just like living real life and that would be boring... so thanks to FC they take the viewer away from their mundane real life situations and transport the viewer to the magical world of Carriagstown - a bit like Disney land do with the kids ...

And all this for a licence fee that costs less than a pint of milk a day ...

Speak for yourself Andy, speak for yourself .

Funny and ridiculous Fair City may be but good and entertaining it ain't !
    Why don't RTÉ call it a comedy if this is the magical world of " escapism and Disney "? They don't because they delude themselves .......they think it's brilliant and so do a lot of the actors in it .

While I never watch it live I record it so I can fast forward through lots of the ****e :-) ....I still get the gist !

Red Rock was brilliant , proper good soap (more like a drama) written by people who had done their Leaving Cert , thoroughly researched their storylines, and lived in the real world . I had no problem sitting down after a long hard day and really enjoying that .....without feeling so overcome with frustration that I wanted to kick a hole in the TV.

I know I wouldn't watch FC without this thread to slag it off.
    Red Rock I would.....anyday . Difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Red Rock is more drama than soap. FC is more comedy than soap!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭waterlesshouse

Also just going back to the Chile Bros... I thought the white scarved one had this brilliant idea to open a restaurant (in a street/area with wall to wall places to eat/drink) and the USP was to serve delicious recipes from home that only he could create... He was negotiating rental of a space and putting out tenders for the job of cleaning it....
    Fast forward to the "arcade" (WHAT??) where we see chile bro one roaming around in space with a mulit coloured GIANT menu for a wall and one table with two chairs dressed in chef attire (he is a chef??) with the all important tea towel over the shoulder or attached to waist, the white scarved one offering tea and cuffay ... and not a mention of the Delicious authentic Chilean food to be had.
    But dont panic because our new bestie Gripey has just arranged with some drunk people in a pub on a stag on a wednesday....... to come to Bruisers? Bruzers? for a full irish the next morning. . Yeah full irish from Chilean "chef" for a tenner a head and the stag eats free.... bet they cant wait. Bet they decided to call it a night there and then and go home for early night so they would be up in time for their breakfast deal. . It honestly made their night by the sounds of the whooping and cheering. Gripey the big business man might even sell them 3 phone covers for 28euro (exact coinage only - no change given) and there will be cuffay for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

bazermc wrote: »
    Does the HDU sign outside the hospital ward stand for Header Dependency Unit.

Nonsense! !! It stands for

Help
    Dermot
    Undercover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The RTE tv listings website has had a proper synopsis for every episode for as long as I can remember. I wonder does the description below for next Sundays episode bode well for the conclusion of one of the storylines?

19/02/2017
    Soap charting the highs and lows of life in Carrigstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Has anyone from Carrigstown ever graduated college ?

Article on todays Mail on Sunday saying FC has had a boost in ratings lately because of "gripping" storylines like Katy and Niamh taking revenge on Paul. More delusion. Not one mention of how dragged out KT is or how downright illogical The Plan is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Article on todays Mail on Sunday saying FC has had a boost in ratings lately because of "gripping" storylines like Katy and Niamh taking revenge on Paul. More delusion. Not one mention of how dragged out KT is or how downright illogical The Plan is.

The Fair City "Fans" twitter page is absolutely cringeworthy at times! Seems to be a propoganda machine for the show! Whoever is behind it has access to the writers and regularly speaks to the actors many of whom communicate with them over twitter! I wonder if we started being all nice on here would the likes of Sorcha Furlong (we know you are reading this Sorcha ;) ) sign up on Boards and lap up the praise!

I know 45 people involved in the show who certainly haven't.

writers%20meeting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cazale wrote: »
    The RTE tv listings website has had a proper synopsis for every episode for as long as I can remember. I wonder does the description below for next Sundays episode bode well for the conclusion of one of the storylines?

19/02/2017

I was thinking the same!

The Fair City "Fans" twitter page is absolutely cringeworthy at times! Seems to be a propoganda machine for the show! Whoever is behind it has access to the writers and regularly speaks to the actors many of whom communicate with them over twitter! I wonder if we started being all nice on here would the likes of Sorcha Furlong (we know you are reading this Sorcha ;) ) sign up on Boards and lap up the praise!

What's gas is that this delusion is so all-encompassing. And I just cannot believe that in a tiny little dot of a country like Ireland that these actors and actresses can exist on totally different plains where no FC storyline or actor is spoken about negatively and they are shielded from all forms of FC-slagging. These people have access to the internet, to boards, to Gift Grub, it is simply not conceivable that they have somehow dodged the slagging and criticism that FC gets. Even as insulating as RTE is, it cant shield them from the real world. Everyone knows someone who knows someone else so I'm convinced they KNOW FC is crap and either choose to keep quiet for the easy life or else suffer in silence.

I have never seen the FC Twitter feeds. If its anything like the FC Facebook fans page then I may leave it for fear of vomiting all over the laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Cazale wrote: »

19/02/2017

With any luck. There would be a lot to be said too for not revealing anything in advance, it's good to surprise the audience and have them saying "I didn't see that one coming".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

That rag....... they were giving out free copies of that in my local shop, and i was asked my the guy at the till, did i want a free copy of Mail on Sunday.
    I told him in a nice way that i had enough toilet paper at home

Katy was certainly at college at the time she was abducted (remember she was doing her 1916 installation thing).

Niamh and Orla perhaps and possibly Ama?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Katy was certainly at college at the time she was abducted (remember she was doing her 1916 installation thing).

Niamh and Orla perhaps and possibly Ama?

Definitely not! They have been in the show since school and just fell into jobs

• Advertisement

Definitely not! They have been in the show since school and just fell into jobs

I'm recalling that both have a business background though. I was wondering if they both had degrees in business studies?

I'm recalling that both have a business background though. I was wondering if they both had degrees in business studies?

In some imaginary world maybe, but not in the show

I dont think Niamh has any formal education. Orla though was into marketing, and that requires some measure of college education.

I dont think Niamh has any formal education. Orla though was into marketing, and that requires some measure of college education.

But they didn't attend college in the show so that is the only character layers we can talk about. Both have been in the show since secondary school. We could write a backstory or pretend they went to college but didn't refer to it in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

But they didn't attend college in the show so that is the only character layers we can talk about. Both have been in the show since secondary school. We could write a backstory or pretend they went to college but didn't refer to it in the show.

Orla came into the show after school. She was already working by then so we have no way of knowing if she had a college education.

Orla came into the show after school. She was already working by then so we have no way of knowing if she had a college education.

For some reason I thiought she was there around the time of Niamh had the affair with Barry, may have been Lorraine though, actually.

Did Orla just randomly turn up?

What age is Orla meant to be then? She is in the show 17 years? The actress is 40. Th actress behind Niamh is 2 years older

Anyway, no right or wrong answer! We can't have a debate over the activity of an off screen character!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

With any luck. There would be a lot to be said too for not revealing anything in advance, it's good to surprise the audience and have them saying "I didn't see that one coming".

It's Fair City we rarely get a surprise. I think Ciaran being the kidnapper was meant to be a surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Rachel did 1 year of college too (while running the pod at the same time) but threw it all away to go off to work in her aunts restaurant in Barcelona

• Advertisement

No way Orla is in it since secondary school, surely not? If shes in it 15 yrs, that would make her character about 33 and theres nota chance she could pull off 33. Orla looks at least 40, and I'm being generous. Have you watched FC that long, Talking Bread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement