Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Paul and Niamh are the Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning of Fair City, no matter what happens to anyone else, they'll still be there

Curious though for such a young girl when Clelia Murphy started, to think she wanted to stay there forever. Usually young people dip their toes in acting abroad or take some time out to travel, she must have absolutely no ambition whatsoever. And as far as I know, its the producers who hold the final cards so if they think your character is exhausted then they should be telling Paul and Niamh to get lost. Imagine how refreshing some interesting NEW people would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Paul and Niamh are among a handful or less of full timers on the show, the rest are merely "contract workers" if you get me. I imagine the Ripeys, Love Hate are on a 15 month full time contract also at the minute, Dermishhh probably had a long contract up to his Hiace departure, Hughie and Meeee Daaaaa and Header of late will be on temp full time contracts, as may be Bob and Renee during this story and Jane would have got a contract during her few months.

A lot of the rest get contracts here and there to suit the plots, while others may not get contracts but get paid per day (I think they get about 450 euro PER DAY! )

Here is something that explains a bit more. Like the Plan, it is hard to make head nor sense of all the figures but essentially they get paid stupid money from our taxes for what they give us in return.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/heres-how-much-fair-city-actors-get-paid-for-a-day-shift-34707943.html

Last night my petition only had around 250 signatures. It really took off this morning. Thanks to everybody that signed it!

Can you edit the description of the Petition (ie the written part) to give our thread a mention!!!

Can you edit the description of the Petition (ie the written part) to give our thread a mention!!!

Great idea! I want one of those sorry FC writers to know that we exist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Excellent! I signed earlier today. Now you need to organize a Boardsies March for KTeee. We can be her voice. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Rose016

In my opinion the worst part of the plot is the fact that NOT ONE PERSON in almost a year, (not even the Garda investigating the disappearance whilst dating him), (not even the family of the girl he (a bloody stranger) suddenly became obsessed with helping), and (not even the soon to be mother of his child who knows nothing about him), has suspected a person who fits the PERFECT PROFILE OF THE PRIME SUSPECT IN THE SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCE OF A YOUNG GIRL

I completely agree with this... In my house I can't get to the toilet alone never mind sneaking around with a rugsack full of sandwiches and disappearing for hours on end, real life, relationships and Jobs are not flexible around hostages needs, I'd expect as a partner medaa would have decked that this ejeet who has moved in must have worms cause he is eating all the bread and ham, and still hungry and has robbed all me tampons...

Fair city has officially lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

And forgetting rental income from 3? properties. Also he once claimed have made 2 million in one year! Aside from rent was the Don only making money from the garage and Pod. Niamh gas always supposed to have been independently wealthy, so I guy down on his luch can't get a cent from his wife? Nicola claims he has a secret stash, not just one account with ALL his money in it!
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    Join the club....

He sold the garage to Wayne for €230,000
    the yank bought another business for nearly €1 million
    His wife, fronted by Hayley bough his stake in the cab business
    He sold The Pod business to Hughie (who has never set foot in it since)

Shur that's nearly €2 Million (or more?)

I thought it was only €800,000 robbed off him in the first place??

Great idea! I want one of those sorry FC writers to know that we exist. :D

They definitely know! There has been plenty of random references to little joke titles we give plots/characters. There is no way that a writer of a show like this wouldn't be tempted to peak into fans forums

• Advertisement

Lesbniana O'Journalist will be driving her untaxed car over to your house in a while with her A4 Pad!

You are Royalty here now! Don't let the pressure get to you though! Can you also set one up to stop whatever the fk they have planned for that awful Marcus guy before it gets going

3500!! 1000 signatures in an hour and a half!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

At least someone knows we are asking serious questions :P

"In 2015 Fifteen out of scriptwriters received €3,495 each per episode while nine pocketed €1,837.

Joking aside, I actually feel sick reading this.

"In 2015 Fifteen out of scriptwriters received €3,495 each per episode while nine pocketed €1,837.

I get this, but honestly I think they only get one episode each per month. One of the reasons they just can't carry a story. Too many cooks! Also, introducing storylines then dropping and forgetting all about them in two episodes, never to be heard of again! (Think Jane and the menopause for one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Rose016

I'd be afraid of me life that they would think this is good publicity and either keep the story going or try this rubbish again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I get this, but honestly I think they only get one episode each per month. One of the reasons they just can't carry a story. Too many cooks! Also, introducing storylines then dropping and forgetting all about them in two episodes, never to be heard of again! (Think Jane and the menopause for one!)

It is not what the writers get even, it is what the show pays the writers. Also each episode would have a fair few writers so with 4 episodes per week, that is tens and tens of thousands. Staggering stuff. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This is obscene money to be paid for anyone. Just gives one an indication of why RTE are cashstrapped. While I enjoy FC overall (it is not perfect and yes there are many annoying storylines and the Katy and Paul ones at present are dragged out to a point where they are offputting), that is unacceptable. You can bet this does not stop at just FC either. All the other drivel that needs scriptwriters or stage directors the same. As per usual a lot of these scriptwriters are there because of who they are connected to (e.g. Dickie Rock) rather than how good they are. You can bet the connected or on the higher money too even though the lower rate is still obscene. It would be interesting to note who writes the poorer episodes and see if they are connected to famous people with pull.

• Advertisement

This is obscene money to be paid for anyone. Just gives one an indication of why RTE are cashstrapped. While I enjoy FC overall (it is not perfect and yes there are many annoying storylines and the Katy and Paul ones at present are dragged out to a point where they are offputting), that is unacceptable. You can bet this does not stop at just FC either. All the other drivel that needs scriptwriters or stage directors the same. As per usual a lot of these scriptwriters are there because of who they are connected (e.g. Dickie Rock) rather than how good they are. You can bet the connected or on the higher money too even though the lower rate is still obscene. It would be interesting to note who writes the poorer episodes and see if they are connected to famous people with pull.

When BuilderPlumber get's irate about FC, you know it is hitting an all time bad!!!

It is not what the writers get even, it is what the show pays the writers. Also each episode would have a fair few writers so with 4 episodes per week, that is tens and tens of thousands. Staggering stuff. .

True. The writers take what they are given. Whoever set the rates of pay for them is to blame. There is at least 6 writers of the show but I would think there is actually more than that? Having too many writers is one of the things that is the main cause of FC's poorer traits. That is precisely the case with the Katy story. I enjoyed it a lot up until Ciaran was revealed as kidnapper. Now it has gone on too long and has moved away from its roots.

True. The writers take what they are given. Whoever set the rates of pay for them is to blame. There is at least 6 writers of the show but I would think there is actually more than that? Having too many writers is one of the things that is the main cause of FC's poorer traits. That is precisely the case with the Katy story. I enjoyed it a lot up until Ciaran was revealed as kidnapper. Now it has gone on too long and has moved away from its roots.

There is 45 writers. And that is NOT a joke.

Or do you mean per show, because, yes, 5 to 7 is usually the average listed/credited writers per episode

Curious though for such a young girl when Clelia Murphy started, to think she wanted to stay there forever. Usually young people dip their toes in acting abroad or take some time out to travel, she must have absolutely no ambition whatsoever. And as far as I know, its the producers who hold the final cards so if they think your character is exhausted then they should be telling Paul and Niamh to get lost. Imagine how refreshing some interesting NEW people would be.

Simple answer to this. Clelia Murphy is ambitious but was given a major role in FC straight away. She was one of the main characters in it as long as I can remember. Blue Dolphin etc. With such a cosy set up, why would she have to do anything else and be poor when she can be and has been very comfortably off for 20 years. Some characters in FC are expendable but others are there for as long as they want to be and know it. Niamh is one of them.

I really enjoyed it until that point as well, even the many debates I had with yourself added to it. It really could have been an excellent storyline but it was completely ruined by 1. Ciaran being the insultingly obvious suspect and 2. The amount of times she has almost escaped and the endless boring scenes. Literally nobody cares anymore.

Simple answer to this. Clelia Murphy is ambitious but was given a major role in FC straight away. She was one of the main characters in it as long as I can remember. Blue Dolphin etc. With such a cosy set up, why would she have to do anything else and be poor when she can be and has been very comfortably off for 20 years. Some characters in FC are expendable but others are there for as long as they want to be and know it. Niamh is one of them.

How do you know she is ambitious????
    She has absolutely nothing else on her acting CV? How is that ambitious!! Everything points to the opposite.
    Anyway she is not exactly a great actress so obviously will take the easy way out and become an RTE lifer.

But ambitious, seriously, how in Gods name could you say that!!

The downside to that though is her character has become completely redundant and pathetic and any stories around Niamh are completely devoid of tension because we all know that no matter what happens to either Niamh or Paul they will never leave town and always end up back together. Its like someone ruining the ending of a movie, and it annoys me that they get so much air time.

I think ambition does come into it though. The actor who plays Mondo gave America a crack, I don't think he was that successful but fair play to him for giving it a go anyway, its admirable. Clelia Murphy cant really call herself an actress as shes only played Niamh her whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

I remember her singing and dancing on Ray D'Arcy's show or one of them. These boots are made for walking.. It was awful but I assumed it connected to a play or a musical or something, i.e. some non fair city work!

These Niamh and Marcus scenes.

kWgpK_s-200x150.gif

And, of course, they are back to the bickering and half hearted flirting straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Woo Hoo !!! Famous or what ? Well done you :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement