Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The petition has now made it as a story onto the RTE website itself

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0322/861681-fair-city-say-it-would-have-been-wrong-to-rush-katys-s/

Their statement is just a regurgitation of the exact same statement that was issued to the Ray D'Arcy radio show about 3 weeks ago!
    "Drama, by its nature, deals with a wide variety of topics, from the whimsical to the more sobering.

"While this particular story is taking time to unfold, it allows us to explore different facets of the drama and how it impacts each of the characters involved from Katy herself, to Ciaran and the family and friends left behind.

"To have hastened this story would not have done justice to the ramifications of such an act upon everyone it touches."

The impact of the family and friends left behind is that they don't even mention her anymore and are far more concerned about their various romances. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I will drop this here while im off to vomit after reading it.
    Clearly these RTE people are delusional

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/its-incredible-value-for-money-rtes-new-director-general-wants-to-double-tv-licence-fee-35554991.html
    She can take a running jump if she thinks I'll be paying double, if anything it should be halved even then it would be over priced. If RTE can't keep afloat without taxing the nation then they need to hang up their boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The petition has now made it as a story onto the RTE website itself

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0322/861681-fair-city-say-it-would-have-been-wrong-to-rush-katys-s/

Their statement is just a regurgitation of the exact same statement that was issued to the Ray D'Arcy radio show about 3 weeks ago!
    "Drama, by its nature, deals with a wide variety of topics, from the whimsical to the more sobering.

"While this particular story is taking time to unfold, it allows us to explore different facets of the drama and how it impacts each of the characters involved from Katy herself, to Ciaran and the family and friends left behind.

"To have hastened this story would not have done justice to the ramifications of such an act upon everyone it touches."

The impact of the family and friends left behind is that they don't even mention her anymore and are far more concerned about their various romances. :confused:

Patronising w@nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Not to hog the thread, it got discussed on the on Today FM with Al Porter!

That's nothing, it was being discussed in my local (rural West of Ireland) shop today by the bread delivery man and the lady behind the till!! "There's a petition and everything now"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My man just heard it on Australian radio! In the context that there is a similar poll to save Neighbours and it was brought up as an example of people power 12000 miles away!

• Advertisement

I was the first person to sign it after FP!! I helped get the ball rolling! !

And my comment had almost 100 likes!!

Not that I am one to gloat.......!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

In many ways the FC crew will lap up the petition. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and all that mullarky.

Given their smug sense of self importance they'll say something like 'oh look everyone is talking about us and our brilliant storylines'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

At this stage you could miss a weeks worth of Fair City and still pick up where you left off. Every single episode is a reenactment of the one before it. Nothing changes. Absolute sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

anna080 wrote: »
    At this stage you could miss a weeks worth of Fair City and still pick up where you left off. Every single episode is a reenactment of the one before it. Nothing changes. Absolute sh!te

Last night's episode of FC would have been a great episode .... if it was shown about 4 months ago! The problem is (forgive the pun!) that the Katy story has locked itself into a never ending loop of Ciaran not trusting Katy and he getting frustrated with the situation. I know that similar realworld situations like this go on for decades (but not for the reasons Ciaran is holding Katy which make no sense and have not even been mentioned of late) but I feel such dramatisations of long term kidnaps and abductions are better off not done in realtime and as more a standalone than as part of a soap. I will give an example that a 4 part drama about something similar to Katy moves from say 2011 and 2012 in one episode, onto 2013 and 2014 for the second, then onto 2015 and 2016 for the third before the climax in 2017 is reached in the final.

All in all, the Katy/Ciaran story showed great potential early on and was quite interesting. Now it has dragged on way too long. I feel there will be a lot of tedious episodes before a climax is finally reached. I just hope then we are not tortured with more Orla n Junior or Condors type stories taking up 100% of the FC episodes! Sadly there is one of them developing at the moment with this Troy and Christiana one.

TAJD is also a male, lol

As for this petition FAIR CITY will think, this is great it has everyone talking and will drag it on longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Last night's episode of FC would have been a great episode .... if it was shown about 4 months ago! The problem is (forgive the pun!) that the Katy story has locked itself into a never ending loop of Ciaran not trusting Katy and he getting frustrated with the situation. I know that similar realworld situations like this go on for decades (but not for the reasons Ciaran is holding Katy which make no sense and have not even been mentioned of late) but I feel such dramatisations of long term kidnaps and abductions are better off not done in realtime and as more a standalone than as part of a soap. I will give an example that a 4 part drama about something similar to Katy moves from say 2011 and 2012 in one episode, onto 2013 and 2014 for the second, then onto 2015 and 2016 for the third before the climax in 2017 is reached in the final.

All in all, the Katy/Ciaran story showed great potential early on and was quite interesting. Now it has dragged on way too long. I feel there will be a lot of tedious episodes before a climax is finally reached. I just hope then we are not tortured with more Orla n Junior or Condors type stories taking up 100% of the FC episodes! Sadly there is one of them developing at the moment with this Troy and Christiana one.

The Ciaran kidnapping Katy storyline and holding her prisoner in a makeshift cell is absolutely fine, some would say an excellent plot for a soap. The problem is it has gone on WAY too long. Virtually nothing seems to have happened between the time Ciaran nearly released her in November and now in late March. Last night's scenes could have been shown four or five months ago. This means the audience are virtually sick of the storyline by now, not enthralled by it.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Ciaran kidnapping Katy storyline and holding her prisoner in a makeshift cell is absolutely fine, some would say an excellent plot for a soap. The problem is it has gone on WAY too long. Virtually nothing seems to have happened between the time Ciaran nearly released her in November and now in late March. Last night's scenes could have been shown four or five months ago. This means the audience are virtually sick of the storyline by now, not enthralled by it.

Let's boycott fair city then they will have to retire faircity tapes to the archives where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Now on Elaine on 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I pretty much have already , I read the spoilers and this thread and that's about it! Done with it, watching Katy in her cell is like watching Big Brother Live at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone see yer one who plays Nicola on tv3's Elaine there? They asked her about the petition and she was saying that it's great, and likened it to Corrie when a petition to get Deirdre released from prison made it all the way to the House Of Commons in the 90's. Ya, the only difference being Corrie was hugely popular back then and that petition was intended to bring justice for Deirdre as viewers were so engrossed in the story they wanted her released. It was a testament to the credibility of the Corrie story line. FC audience are just bored and want the insufferable dross put to an end. Big difference.

They are spinning it as can "Free KT" Petition as opposed to a "This plot has became nonsense......months and months ago " Petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

amtc wrote: »
    Now on Elaine on 3

Meh, thats nothing unless it gets on to Vincent Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In fairness none of the actors are going to come right out and say that the Katy story (or any story) is illogical and dragged out. Sure they might think that privately but to put your employer down in public would be career suicide and none of them want to bite the hand that feeds them.
    The way to know when the KT story is over is keep your eye on the cover of the RTE Guide and when you see Ciaran or Katy (on between your usual boring suspects like Daniel O Donnell and Blathnaid Tracy) then that's going to coincide with the story conclusion and no doubt will be filled with such self-praising rubbish like "story of a lifetime" and "viewers were transfixed". Id bet they wont end it till the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

On the Today Show Facebook page they said they were going to be discussing it Today but theirs an extended news now due to the incident in London. So, it looks unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Delighted to see the petition getting so much attention but unfortunately as other posters have pointed out - The FC writers will see this as a badge of honour and not the kick in the @rse it was meant to be.

• Advertisement

I pretty much have already , I read the spoilers and this thread and that's about it! Done with it, watching Katy in her cell is like watching Big Brother Live at night!

Same here, I'd only watch it if I happened to have nothing to do when it's on. I'd say I only saw about 4 episodes in the last 6 months and can still pick it up because of the dragged out storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I can't watch this dung anymore. It's not even so bad it's funny anymore it's just so bad it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can't watch this dung anymore. It's not even so bad it's funny anymore it's just so bad it's terrible.

Stick with it, mate. We're bound to get another Bunion Kelly's Bunions story, or Nuss's handbag story anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Rose016

Rose016 wrote: »
    I'd be afraid of me life that they would think this is good publicity and either keep the story going or try this rubbish again

Sometimes being wright is so awfully wrong! RTÉ think this is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

You have made it onto the last word on today FM. Your fame lives on. They are slating the storyline and why it has go on so long and how nothing is happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

EXACTLY what I said would happen.

Fresh, the burden of responsibily is on you. How do add clarity to the situation?

Still funny though. I'd say those frankly delusional ones on FC Fan Twitter are ragin!
    They are spinning it as can "Free KT" Petition as opposed to a "This plot has became nonsense......months and months ago " Petition.

Would you be up for being interviewed on one of these shows or are you a bit shy with that FP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I'd say Tony Tormey and Celia Murphy are raging that FC is being mentioned in public and it's not all about them. Yes, I know her name is not Celia but she'll always be Celia to me as it must piss her off no end to be called Celia.

Cormdogg wrote: »
    EXACTLY what I said would happen.

Fresh, the burden of responsibily is on you. How do add clarity to the situation?

Still funny though. I'd say those frankly delusional ones on FC Fan Twitter are ragin!

They mentioned it once, but they are clearly not happy with the negative vibes!! The person behind it has made it clear a while back she "has no interest in THAT Boards forum"!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Dear FC writers,
    Before yiz get all excited with the publicity arising from FP's petition, kindly read the comments below said petition. Note the repetition of words such as boring, repetitive,annoying, drawn-out, losing interest. Note the absence of words such as riveting, exciting, dramatic. Nothing to be proud of there !

Admit defeat, you cocked up the 2 major storylines - Wipe the boards clean and start again please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement