Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Ama/Alma: Nora that's the man that threatened your son and his wifes life and held a number of your friends hostage and was involved in a young mans death. Oh and you witnessed him threatening a staff member today in his business you know nothing about. Did I mentioned he recently extorted money, threatened me and my boyfriend and tried to have Jake deported!

Nora: Ah sure f#ck it I can handle meself in anyways, here say nothing to Robbie yea

Absolutely ridiculous. How do these storylines pass an editor/senior scriptwriter?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,612 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope Garda Alannah has a checkpoint in the RTE car park Tomorrow and she catches Paul driving without a Chauffeurs licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I hope Garda Alannah has a checkpoint in the RTE car park Tomorrow and she catches Paul driving without a Chauffeurs licence.

That's right, he would have to go through the process in the link below to become a chauffeur https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/spsv-driver-licensing/apply-for-an-spsv-driver-licence-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I think FC should be doing a storyline now about domestic violence to coincide with the current TV adverts on rte1, the "what would you do?" Ones and have advert on in middle and helpline at end of programme for anyone affected, really bring it to the fore, have a character maybe verbally abusing his wife and belittling her when she gets home behind closed doors, I know they did similar that time with paddy and decco's mum but they need to highlight it again in a new storyline, not necessarily kill the character off like they did with paddy (killed by his daughter) but a storyline built up slowly and then either the abused or some other character see what's going on and then have the courage to report it , it might make more people come foreword and follow suit if it was done in a realistic and powerful way that really tugs at the viewers heart strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sparko wrote: »
    Paul is not broke. Even if he immediately had to pay out the 800k he lost (unlikely) he's still made more than that in the last few weeks. What's he made, about 1.5m? Gah it's so frustrating.

They're making it up as they go along (and hoping nobody will even notice). Paul has just sold three businesses for €1.5m and has money coming in from other sources as well. We're into jump the shark territory.

• Advertisement

Paul is not broke. Even if he immediately had to pay out the 800k he lost (unlikely) he's still made more than that in the last few weeks. What's he made, about 1.5m? Gah it's so frustrating.

Maybe his financial advisor has a very expensive fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I think FC should be doing a storyline now about domestic violence to coincide with the current TV adverts on rte1, the "what would you do?" Ones and have advert on in middle and helpline at end of programme for anyone affected, really bring it to the fore, have a character maybe verbally abusing his wife and belittling her when she gets home behind closed doors, I know they did similar that time with paddy and decco's mum but they need to highlight it again in a new storyline, not necessarily kill the character off like they did with paddy (killed by his daughter) but a storyline built up slowly and then either the abused or some other character see what's going on and then have the courage to report it , it might make more people come foreword and follow suit if it was done in a realistic and powerful way that really tugs at the viewers heart strings.

Do you really think that the 47 writers of FC would be able to do that in a way that would not end up provoking violence against TV/PC/mobile device by Viewers? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

They are kind of hinting at a sort of a psychological bullying with Niamh and Paul. She has broke him and she is saying things that mix false praise with sneaky putdowns. But this story has been through too much baggage now for it to be fresh.

FC has done many domestic abuse storylines. Billy Meehan and Carol, Marty and Tess Halpin, Dominic and Tracy (rather halfhearted effort here as the actor who played Dominic did not like playing a domestic abuser), Suzanne and Damian, and Paddy Bishop and family. The concept of a more verbal than violent abuse could be explored more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Strazdas wrote: »
    They're making it up as they go along (and hoping nobody will even notice). Paul has just sold three businesses for €1.5m and has money coming in from other sources as well. We're into jump the shark territory.

This Paul and Niamh story is too sprawling to be convincing at any level now and are making it up as they go along. Certain things are not properly explained and it distracts. I presume (not specifically mentioned) that Paul used most of that money to pay off bank loans and the like? Also, what other sources of money does Paul have? What other business does he do? What business is he doing on the computer? All not explained. If these things were made clearer, it would improve this story. Ideally, this story should be put to bed at this stage with the fall of the smug and devious Niamh as the prize.

Maybe his financial advisor has a very expensive fee!
    His name is Dermot. His fee was €800,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Didn't Tony Tormey give an interview before and he rejected the idea from the writers of Paul becoming a woman beater as it was so out of character etc etc. This isn't a recent interview it's going back a good few years.

PS- The cynic in me tells me he refused as he knew it would have to be the end of him being a regular character once it came to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I think........and it still makes ZERO sense Paul got a loan of 800k, which Dermo robbed and Paul was liable for it. Still makes no sense, in real life it could be refinanced, he had other assets he could get a loan on (not just sell off for cash). You don't have to pay loans off in full a week after you take them out. They are called repayments! Paul probably would've only have to pay off MAX 10k a month. The 800k was to pay for the Speak Easy anyway, which would still be in planning now, it would be years before it made a profit to pay off the loan.

Of course all of the above is irrelevant because Zoe is in the Gallapogos. While Zoe remains in the Gallapogos nothing needs to be in any realistic. What's the point

This Paul and Niamh story is too sprawling to be convincing at any level now and are making it up as they go along. Certain things are not properly explained and it distracts. I presume (not specifically mentioned) that Paul used most of that money to pay off bank loans and the like? Also, what other sources of money does Paul have? What other business does he do? What business is he doing on the computer? All not explained. If these things were made clearer, it would improve this story. Ideally, this story should be put to bed at this stage with the fall of the smug and devious Niamh as the prize.

Cormdogg wrote: »
    I think........and it still makes ZERO sense Paul got a loan of 800k, which Dermo robbed and Paul was liable for it. Still makes no sense, in real life it could be refinanced, he had other assets he could get a loan on (not just sell off for cash). You don't have to pay loans off in full a week after you take them out. They are called repayments! Paul probably would've only have to pay off MAX 10k a month. The 800k was to pay for the Speak Easy anyway, which would still be in planning now, it would be years before it made a profit to pay off the loan.

Of course all of the above is irrelevant because Zoe is in the Gallapogos. While Zoe remains in the Gallapogos nothing needs to be in any realistic. What's the point

Email the RTE with the figures and see if they get back to you! Not being a smart ass I just would find it amusing if someone crunches the numbers and mails rte along with posting it on twitter;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression that the Niamh vs Paul dynamic is the only thing that is of any interest to the scriptwriters, everything else is a mere plot device. All the stuff about money and plans and businesses and bank accounts is irrelevant to them, they just want a Niamh vs Paul showdown where he cheats on her and then she has a prolonged revenge on him lasting many months and then sleeps with another man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Email the RTE with the figures and see if they get back to you! Not being a smart ass I just would find it amusing if someone crunches the numbers and mails rte along with posting it on twitter;)

Trust me, they won't. Time for a petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a theory about Katy. We know that she took time out to act on stage. We know that many other actors only on 3 month contracts.

However given the success of Love Hate maybe Ciaran negotiated a 12 month contract. He has a hold over RTE.

It's not like once she is released He can hang around. So Katy can't be released for a year...

Am I seeing conspiracy theories?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

amtc wrote: »
    My mother is just back from Australia after three months...I took her out for lunch for Mother's Day....and explained the Plan, the Hostage, the Group, the Petition. My poor mother was laughing so hard she couldn't even eat.

No, you "tried" explaining....

• Registered Users Posts: 56,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At least my prediction is still on from a few months back....Paulio to end up having to sell his Star Wars figures to make ends meet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Tell her to swing by that Industrial estate where Header crashed after she's finished. The one were she had a rendezvous with LH. If she hangs around there for a while she might hear KT screaming. Major promotion for Alannah if she sorted that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

So, eh...............was there a sewerage system set up in LoveHates shed (which moved out to Santry from Carrigstown one day)

• Advertisement

Truth comes out about Niamh and she's shunned by the community until she finds KT and subdues LH with her bitch face leading to a glorious romantic reunion with Paul all while KT is reunited with her family OFFSCREEN.

You heard it here first.

Part of me hopes that Marcus cons Niamh out of all her money and then Nora can get her some industrial cleaning work from the agency!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'll email them but let me get the 'facts' straight first
    Don Paulioni had €800k in the bank that Dermot/Niamh robbed. This came from a bank loan that he took out to buy the Speakeasy or was it savings ?
    Dermot clears out the account, so Paul still owes the bank the money. Am I right so far ?
    Paul has several businesses presumably with a cash turnover - The Pod, The Marketplace, shares in Caddle's Cabs and the garage.He sold all of these businesses in order to repay the bank.
    OK folks what did he get for each of the above ?

jos28 wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'll email them but let me get the 'facts' straight first
    Don Paulioni had €800k in the bank that Dermot/Niamh robbed. This came from a bank loan that he took out to buy the Speakeasy or was it savings ?
    Dermot clears out the account, so Paul still owes the bank the money. Am I right so far ?
    Paul has several businesses presumably with a cash turnover - The Pod, The Marketplace, shares in Caddle's Cabs and the garage.He sold all of these businesses in order to repay the bank.
    OK folks what did he get for each of the above ?

Numbers ain't my thing but we have a few savvier minds on here who'll know the ins and outs! Maybe send it to the Indo as well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Didn't Tony Tormey give an interview before and he rejected the idea from the writers of Paul becoming a woman beater as it was so out of character etc etc. This isn't a recent interview it's going back a good few years.

PS- The cynic in me tells me he refused as he knew it would have to be the end of him being a regular character once it came to an end.

Im surprised he had the choice to reject it. In most workplaces you do what you are told, do it well and get paid for it. If I suddenly starting telling my boss I didnt feel like doing this or that, it wouldn't be long before I'm hauled up to HR and probably fired. Why would Paul or Niamh get the choice of what story is handed to them? I'm pretty sure Laura doesn't want all of her stories revolving around 3 men discussing her sex life but she does it because its her job.

Maybe all these crap stories are written on purpose to punish the 2 of them for being such talentless unambitious wasters.

Im surprised he had the choice to reject it. In most workplaces you do what you are told, do it well and get paid for it. If I suddenly starting telling my boss I didnt feel like doing this or that, it wouldn't be long before I'm hauled up to HR and probably fired. Why would Paul or Niamh get the choice of what story is handed to them? I'm pretty sure Laura doesn't want all of her stories revolving around 3 men discussing her sex life but she does it because its her job.

Maybe all these crap stories are written on purpose to punish the 2 of them for being such talentless unambitious wasters.

The actors should all sign a petition asking for a say in the story lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Spoilers for next week:
    Nora is concerned when Jake tells her all about how dangerous Cathal is so they go snooping about the warehouse to look for something incriminating but Cathal is watching them on CCTV the whole time.
    Niamh agrees to leave Paul and run away with Marcus, but just as she is getting ready to go she spots a picture of Marcus with another woman and a kid and has second thoughts

All I can say of the second spoiler is.....

63755622.jpg

The actress who plays Jane(Rachel Pilkington) is on Clair Byrne Live tonight to discuss being a vegan.

The actress who plays Jane(Rachel Pilkington) is on Clair Byrne Live tonight to discuss being a vegan.
    *TTB sets reminder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Spoilers up to the end of NEXT week

Tuesday March 28th

Niamh and Callum are dismayed as Oisin plots to win over Charlotte and Paul, and a small disagreement between Decco and Kerri-Ann threatens to escalate into a serious dispute.

Wednesday March 29th
    Oisin manipulates things to make Callum look bad, and Nora's grim discovery prompts Ray to take drastic action.

Thursday March 30th
    Niamh faces a tough decision, while Callum is determined to make Charlotte see Oisin for what he is. Kerri-Ann and Decco try to work through their differences.

Sunday April 2nd
    Leo wonders if it is time to leave Carrigstown, Rose and Cathal stir up trouble and Niamh gives in to Marcus's needs and tells him she will leave Paul and go to Dubai with him.

Tuesday April 4th
    Marcus pushes Niamh to come clean to Paul, but she is stunned when Paul makes a revelation of his own. Jake vows to expose Cathal's criminality but ends up falling into a trap.

Wednesday April 5th
    Niamh lies to both Paul and Marcus, but is shocked to discover that Marcus has secrets of his own, while Jake's impulsiveness allows Cathal to drive a wedge between him and Ama.

Thursday April 6th
    Debbie makes a decision about her future, Mondo's advice to Troy has unintended consequences and Jake attempts to make amends with Ama.

Seriously lads and ladies. I don't normally watch Fair City after the bright evenings come in anyway. But after reading the above spoilers, I am definitely out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement