Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It would have been the price of both Paul and Niamh if Ruth was the one seriously injured or killed over their feud, a better end to the storyline imo

Would not be surprised if that is where this is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103275423&postcount=567

I'd like to report that TTB has been found alive but...eerm.. not quite well. He has posted this afternoon on the 'St. Patrick's Day Late Late Show' thread about Ronaldo's goal scoring record in the latter stages of the Champions League. See above link..

Is it possible TTB is Paul Brennan and has been hit over the head with a whiskey bottle, leading to concussion and confusion?! :D

I think Paul and Hughie were friends back then. Interesting you should mention Barry. He would be due out now. Like a lot of characters, he is not referred to once he has left the show.

I do not remember the earlier pre-Blue Dolphin Paul all that well. He had more hair and was a nicer person that is certain. Paul turned into a grumpy, arrogant, egotistical snob during the time in that office and Niamh was showing similar. The Paul we now know was born in that office and it may be that his friendship with Niamh changed both for the worse.

True and add Nicola's poison into the mix and they all emerged as smug, arrogant individuals with superiority complexes.

Not like the for example the way Paul and Barry were portrayed as two mates, two ordinary lads preparing for the Dublin City Marathon in September 1989 when the show first aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Whatever about how realistic or not the relationship between Paul and Niamh is, it becomes a problem when their lives are presented to the viewer as a storyline year after year after year when the resolution remains the same. You wouldn't look at footage of someone watching paint dry, and yet FC expects its audience to care about Niamh having an affair with a mechanic, Paul having an affair with the local tart, Plans to fleece money etc etc. The ending is always the same therefore there is absolutely NO tension involved and that's very annoying to the viewer when said people are on air 90% of the year.

Soap storylines work best when you cant predict whats going to happen. Can anyone of you here genuinely say that Paul and Niamh wont be back together before year end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Something to keep her going after the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,615 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I read a few articles with Twits inserted in them praising last night episode. We couldn't laughing last night at how funny it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My thoughts on last nights episode.

I believe it was the first time that FC did a two hander episode and I really hope its the last time. First and foremost, the camera work was quite literally deplorable. Apart from the fact that the "hand held" approach was completely against the grain of the shows usual visual style, it was done badly. Done correctly, it could have worked. I work in the the industry and expect to notice, but when a non industry person notices it, its not working. The job of the camera dept. and Director is to create an illusion. They failed.

The script was dire. So many stupid and unbelievable changes in emotions. No cliffhangar either because RTE has rolled out the entire storyline via a trailer and the synopsis across all the usual TV platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Gas how Paul & Niamh always sh*ting on about their lifestyle. Never a holiday, pints in McCoys, Dinner in Vinos, coffee in a community centre and a master bedroom_you might find a student in

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Remember all that now. Seamus McAleer was a big character back then. So many characters like him were silently written out over the years. Seamus Mannion was another. Seamus McAleer's last major storyline was when he survived Bill Taylor's murderous intentions. He appeared occasionally after that but was not formally written out. Seamus Mannion and his daughter were all over things for a while and then he was suddenly not seen anymore.

Donal Maher left after Blue Dolphin closed as far as I remember. Paul went into the garage almost immediately I assume (Harry is gone a good long time now, 2004 or so) and Nicola went to Cork. Niamh continued on the same type of business as Blue Dolphin but did not use that name.

It would be good to reintroduce some of these characters as they were good and were part of good storylines. There was a solicitor called Richard as well. He did a runner I recall but forget the reason.

McAleer came back at least once after the Bill Taylor thing. He was wearing one leather glove. I wasn't watching it much around that time so can someone clarify who Bill was and why he killed Annette?

Mannion, I forgot about him. He had a daughter Emma by some woman who was not his wife. Didn't he have another child as well? Was Mannion the one who was working with Dermot who was a councillor for the famous unnamed political party. It was always referred to as "The Party." (There was also a storyline at some point where Dermot had run ins with "The Minister", a woman from the same party who I assume also represented that part of Dublin).

Richard was a solicitor who dated Nicola first and then Yvonne, although the latter was more informal if memory serves. They had an affair while she was married to Mike Gleeson and got involved in a hit and run while high on coke and then fled to Australia where she gave up their baby for adoption. Annette worked with Richard and IIRC, Richard's ex-wife June was also a solicitor in the same firm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Gas how Paul & Niamh always sh*ting on about their lifestyle. Never a holiday, pints in McCoys, Dinner in Vinos, coffee in a community centre and a master bedroom_you might find a student in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Another thing one notices about Paul and Niamh is how they alienate people. Paul especially is good at this. His daughter is not talking to him and ran off. He refuses to make amends with Oisin. Callum is the only one of his adult children he is talking to, and only just. On top of this, the likes of Hughie, Pete, Wayne and Robbie have zero time for Paul. Dermot betrayed him in the end. Charlotte and the Bishops know full well what he thinks of them but Charlotte barely tolerates him because of Oisin and Callum. Decco has no time for him. Either did Zumo. Orla barely tolerates him because of Niamh. Cathal may be the only person he could form a friendship with ...... if he wasn't such a snob?!

Were Paul and Hughie good mates in the heydays of the show, when Helen and Natalie were alive, does Paul visit Barry anymore too?

From memory, Paul hung around with Barry, Anne Clarke and Charlie's daughter Bernie.. Hughie, Natalie and Gary ran Pizza Action and didn't really interact much with Paul and his pals (I'm not sure why I think Hughie etc were a slightly younger group)

Paul has definitely worked his way through Carrigstown but I don't think he was with Carol

nagdefy wrote: »
    True and add Nicola's poison into the mix and they all emerged as smug, arrogant individuals with superiority complexes.

Not like the for example the way Paul and Barry were portrayed as two mates, two ordinary lads preparing for the Dublin City Marathon in September 1989 when the show first aired.

I think Paul, Niamh and Nicola went into this Blue Dolphin office and they became toxic and emerged as smug, arrogant, superior individuals. Sadly, this is exactly how a lot of offices are. Donal Maher seemed to distance himself almost entirely from the excesses of the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

youwould wrote: »
    Remember all that now. Seamus McAleer was a big character back then. So many characters like him were silently written out over the years. Seamus Mannion was another. Seamus McAleer's last major storyline was when he survived Bill Taylor's murderous intentions. He appeared occasionally after that but was not formally written out. Seamus Mannion and his daughter were all over things for a while and then he was suddenly not seen anymore.

Donal Maher left after Blue Dolphin closed as far as I remember. Paul went into the garage almost immediately I assume (Harry is gone a good long time now, 2004 or so) and Nicola went to Cork. Niamh continued on the same type of business as Blue Dolphin but did not use that name.

It would be good to reintroduce some of these characters as they were good and were part of good storylines. There was a solicitor called Richard as well. He did a runner I recall but forget the reason.

McAleer came back at least once after the Bill Taylor thing. He was wearing one leather glove. I wasn't watching it much around that time so can someone clarify who Bill was and why he killed Annette?

Mannion, I forgot about him. He had a daughter Emma by some woman who was not his wife. Didn't he have another child as well? Was Mannion the one who was working with Dermot who was a councillor for the famous unnamed political party. It was always referred to as "The Party." (There was also a storyline at some point where Dermot had run ins with "The Minister", a woman from the same party who I assume also represented that part of Dublin).

Richard was a solicitor who dated Nicola first and then Yvonne, although the latter was more informal if memory serves. They had an affair while she was married to Mike Gleeson and got involved in a hit and run while high on coke and then fled to Australia where she gave up their baby for adoption. Annette worked with Richard and IIRC, Richard's ex-wife June was also a solicitor in the same firm.

Mannion had an illegitimate daughter Emma can't remember who his wife was. Did he try to get Dermot involved in dodgy dealings as a Cllr (planning deals or such like) when that and the truth about Emmas paternity came out he fled I think

youwould wrote: »

The Richard coke event now rings bells. Yes, I remember he was with Nicola and Yvonne. Dermot had dealings with a politician with a daughter into green causes called Tara. This was not Mannion, who also was a politician. I am unsure if Dermot had any dealings with Mannion as he was out of the politics by then as far as I know but something rings a bell of Dermot using his former political pull and meeting Mannion about something?

Bill Taylor was a madman who was a serial killer who had killed all his ex wives. He pretended to be a born again Christian for a time too. Annette fell for his fake charm. Seamus McAleer was a friend of Annette and a former boyfriend of hers too. I think he was always warning her that Taylor was evil and she refused to believe him.

Mannion had an illegitimate daughter Emma can't remember who his wife was. Did he try to get Dermot involved in dodgy dealings as a Cllr (planning deals or such like) when that and the truth about Emmas paternity came out he fled I think

I think that was the case. He met and dragged Dermot back into his political past (as far as I know, Dermot had long left politics behind at the time) to arrange something dodgy (Dermot probably doing something dodgy as an accountant, and practice for later with Paul!!).

The Richard coke event now rings bells. Yes, I remember he was with Nicola and Yvonne. Dermot had dealings with a politician with a daughter into green causes called Tara. This was not Mannion, who also was a politician. I am unsure if Dermot had any dealings with Mannion as he was out of the politics by then as far as I know but something rings a bell of Dermot using his former political pull and meeting Mannion about something?

Bill Taylor was a madman who was a serial killer who had killed all his ex wives. He pretended to be a born again Christian for a time too. Annette fell for his fake charm. Seamus McAleer was a friend of Annette and a former boyfriend of hers too. I think he was always warning her that Taylor was evil and she refused to believe him.

Bill Taylor, the serial killer, was played by Jonathan Ryan a former presenter of Bosco in the 1980s. A bizarre first!!

040_d5bc03b512e6e55dfd5a2a4479dbc1e45e9abb63.jpg

027_385ff6f4c6da313bee2c8e130d5fe1a00386febd.jpg

And Seamus McAleer lost fingers in the fire trying to get out IIRC, hence the glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

I think this is the bloke I confused Seamus Mannion with. His name was Sean McCann and was played by Frank Melia. He was defintiely involved in something dodgy while Dermot was a councillor.

010_8d453c7b309988bc20474889e9a25bb4c26465ff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The make up department clearly couldn't be bothered with a wound for Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Oh my God, the place is a mess. A mess I tell you, a mess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ya I changed the plugs.

Can I have the car so?

No, I didn;t put the new ones in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

No blood, no wound..... really?

That's some amateur setup of a garage. The attempt at a basic car service. Mother of Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Fester......

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Loblox

phi3 wrote: »
    No blood, no wound..... really?

Fair City is secretly set in the Marvel Universe. Paul's mutant healing factor just kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Why was it a good idea to put the heat lamps close to the buckets of water

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She'd be able to get out from under that no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Oh God I hope Orla manages to get out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Orla was more of a state when the young lad had an ear infection.

Should she not be screaming like a banshee for help?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement