Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Really? I would have classed Charlotte as working class in real life, maybe shes a very good actress then! I presume Paul is supposed to be working class, a self-made success? He certainly was rough and ready when he started into it. Nicola is blatant posh but then again you need a mix so you don't mind some posh but it is annoying when they cast middle and upper class background people to play working class characters. Its a common theme in Irish tv/film though, its as if directors are terrified on taking a chance on an up and coming new face so they cast the same old Gleesons, Farrells, Hubermans and Cunninghams.

All the sitcoms have traditionally used middle class characters as well, which is fine. I remember even Brookside had a fair few English middle class types mixed in with the Scousers.

What is jarring of course is casting middle class actors and actresses to play working class characters and they can't even do the accent (Charlie has the same problem in reverse, mind you) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Not everyone with a Dublin accent is working class, what ever the f#ck "working class" means in 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Emmet certainly isn't "working" class!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Emmet certainly isn't "working" class!! :D:D

Doesnt stop him having his full share of rent every month not to mention wining and dining all the laydeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I can say with certainty that Charlotte is not from a working class background (I know her Dad) the likes of Zumo and Sash were involved in some kind of stage school run by (I think) the Axis in Ballymun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I can say with certainty that Charlotte is not from a working class background (I know her Dad) the likes of Zumo and Sash were involved in some kind of stage school run by (I think) the Axis in Ballymun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness Charlotte was brought up by her mother who while Decco, Zumo and Denzo had a different upbringing with Eileen.
    I think the character of Charlotte is depicted pretty reasonably and reflects her upbringing which is testament to the actress.

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Not everyone with a Dublin accent is working class, what ever the f#ck "working class" means in 2017

There certainly is a class divide in Dublin, it's obvious to anyone who lives in the city. There would of course be many examples of crossover, but Carrigstown is clearly meant to be a working class suburb of the city (if it was set in a fictional version of Blackrock or Dalkey or Foxrock, it would have a very different feel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Dermot story is going according to plan. I take it that
    the transplant means he will make a full recovery making way for a court case and the risk of prison

It was good enough for Niamh to have her plan backfire. Whatever happens next Niamh will not be getting any money.

Heather is back and it will be interesting to see what she has up her sleeves this time around. Will Farrah be proven right eventually? I'd say so.

Katy story is going along the same as ever. Ciaran wants to release her but then something Emmett does horrifies him. I feel that Ciaran will explode and go for Emmett and in his anger say something that could give the game away. I feel someone will not get out with their lives in this storyline and it won't be Katy. My guess is either Ciaran or Emmett or Eoghan. There will be a fight involving the former against 1 or both of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Let's hope they fight in an open, expansive area so, free from any pesky desks or counter-top corners...those well-known Carrigstown killers could strike again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Strazdas wrote: »
    There certainly is a class divide in Dublin, it's obvious to anyone who lives in the city. There would of course be many examples of crossover, but Carrigstown is clearly meant to be a working class suburb of the city (if it was set in a fictional version of Blackrock or Dalkey or Foxrock, it would have a very different feel).

A working class area? Really? Coffee shops pubs and restaurants never empty. Very few eat at home or indeed work.

kippy wrote: »
    A working class area? Really? Coffee shops pubs and restaurants never empty. Very few eat at home or indeed work.

This is where we come into 'suspension of reality' of course :) In real life, the residents of Carrigstown wouldn't be able to afford to dine out in Vinos and the Hungry Pig nor spend all their time in McCoys and the Station and yet in every single episode we see numerous scenes set in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The incessant use of ma and da even with 'posher' and even culchie characters should be enough to confirm this soap as Dublin "working" class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

kippy wrote: »

That's because there's a 50% homelessness rate in Carrigstown - at any one time half the domestic sets aren't built !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Just catching up with the Christmas episodes and am puzzled by something. When Dermot told Niamh that he took all the money, why did she start laughing when she left the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

max life wrote: »
    Just catching up with the Christmas episodes and am puzzled by something. When Dermot told Niamh that he took all the money, why did she start laughing when she left the room?

Hysterical shock I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wonder how long before The Plan concludes and we all reach the inevitable point:

search?q=fair+city+paul+and+niamh&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSoL3I1abRAhXlDsAKHfY6C5oQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=618#imgrc=ztcuHqUpzLCIUM%3A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I'd say they are hoping to get another few months out of the plan, if the Katy saga is anything to go by. If they're lucky it might be next Christmas before those two storylines finish up

I heard Paulio usually checks his bank balance once a leap year, so expect the Plan to end sometime 2020...

Really loving 2017s possible stories for Nora. A fascinating character.

Where's me account numbers? Day 1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

How come it's always the same people meeting each other in the shop?

It won't ever be niamh or love hate that bumps into each other in the shop.

FFS, K T is now sitting closer to the door than LH.. they have to be punking us?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The miracle health systems of soap operas.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Cormdogg wrote: »

I know that but then if it was accuarate there'd be 20 more Bishops! And millionaire Paul would be long gone! Would we call it Fairview/Marino or East Wall/Sherrifer? Is it supposed to be the Northside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Yay..ker-azy Heather's being left out!!!bring on the madness!!

Fair play FC. The best cliffhanger yet for the ad break...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Did anyone else notice on Sunday that Dermot had a tube up his nose at the beginning and took it out in the next scene. A critically ill man.

It's back in again today.

The Dermot story is going according to plan. I take it that
    the transplant means he will make a full recovery making way for a court case and the risk of prison

It was good enough for Niamh to have her plan backfire. Whatever happens next Niamh will not be getting any money.

Heather is back and it will be interesting to see what she has up her sleeves this time around. Will Farrah be proven right eventually? I'd say so.

Katy story is going along the same as ever. Ciaran wants to release her but then something Emmett does horrifies him. I feel that Ciaran will explode and go for Emmett and in his anger say something that could give the game away. I feel someone will not get out with their lives in this storyline and it won't be Katy. My guess is either Ciaran or Emmett or Eoghan. There will be a fight involving the former against 1 or both of the latter.

Somone is of course going to find KTs passport in LH's toolbox. Bank on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Anyone else think Renee told Heather she was staying at Louis's rather than Hughie's ??

• Advertisement

Rejecting the liver? So fooking what. There's a dozen or so replacements on stand by...

Oh, and will you ever give the poxy man some Uniflu.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement