Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Once again,the entire population of Dublin had to be evacuated in order that KT could walk, unhindered, from Dunlaoire to Carrigstown in the daylight, hair and clothing soaking wet and still bloodstained from Ciaran's death - inducing penknife wound.
    Strange that someone wouldn't have spotted her. Or maybe someone did, and said to themselves, "Ah Jaysis, I wonder who's your wan over there, drippin' water and blood all over the place ? I suppose I better see what's up with her, wha'? ...
    Arra no, I won't bother. She'll be grand. Anyway I haven't time. Sure the pubs will be openin' soon"

KT : Ma! Da! I wanna talk to dat detective wan. I have to report a crime. Ciarán told me dat Emmett raped his sister out in Thailand. "

Emmet : "What? No, no! I never touched his sister! Emmett's lying! He's lying! "

Stripey : Now you listen to me, Emmett! I've known Ciarán for a while now, and I know for a fact that he would never, ever tell a lie or be in any way devious. Everybody knows he's a upright, honest citizen.
    And if he says you raped his sister, then you raped his sister. God, I can see now why he kidnapped KT. I don't blame him one bit.
    But you, you animal ! I want you out of my house! I can't even bear to look at you, you bollix! Get out! Get out!
    "

**** By the way, if anyone is interested, I'm off to Spain for a few days on my holliers. I won't be back for about ten days, so I'm depending on you guys to post all new FC developments so I can keep up with the truly exciting, fascinating happenings in Carrigstown.

P. S. I'll call in to Barcelona and tell Sourpuss Rachel Brennan of the latest goings-on. I expect she'll break her arse laughing. Sure you know what Sourpuss is like . Anything at all would set her off giggling and guffawing. A great sense sense of humour, that girl.

So for now, byeeeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ciaran is so not dead he will come back from revenge

I am thinking that too. He will make a miraculous escape, be gone for a while and come back and seek revenge against Emmett leaving Katy to decide which side she takes after having Katy estranged from her family being a main story beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,194 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Pity Ray doesn't do live tweets on his Saturday show. We could have a field day!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Ciaran is so not dead he will come back from revenge

I'm still waiting for mad Lucy to come back for "the doll":)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,499 ✭✭✭✭walshb

coolhull wrote: »
    P. S. I'll call in to Barcelona and tell Rachel of the latest goings-on. I expect she'll break her arse laughing. Sure you know Rachel. Anything at all would set her off giggling and guffawing. A great sense sense of humour, that girl.

Who's this Rachel you speak of?

If you happen to bump into Sourpuss let her know that K T has been found, but Rocco is still MIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭threetrees

We need Alannah back. Where is she? On leave? Convenient!

I enjoyed the last few episodes despite their failings. KT is really messed up in the head, helping Ciaran, blaming Emmet, then Stripey, probably Heather soon!

I quite enjoy the Heather scenes, you just don't know what she'll come out with next. Her role now must surely be to recover more since her "knowledge" of KT is out there now.

The detective, Katie could have been "kilt" by now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think that Marty Halpin was certainly inspired by Richard Hillman. FC and other soaps tend to copy each other and copy other popular films and series too. I think this still happens. I'm sure Room provided the inpsiration for the Ciaran/Katy story.

It happens the other way around too. Coronation Street copied Fair City a couple of years after the Damien/Suzanne domestic abuse storyline with the male as the victim when they wrote the same storyline with Tyrone as the victim

Fair City comes up with some good plot ideas - they just execute them terribly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i think they were just piggybacking off of what eastenders and corrie were doing back then. richard hillman, trevor beating little mo...they wanted to emulate that.

I think that Marty Halpin was certainly inspired by Richard Hillman. FC and other soaps tend to copy each other and copy other popular films and series too. I think this still happens. I'm sure Room provided the inpsiration for the Ciaran/Katy story.

Richard Hillman?? I don't see the comparison? Two extremely different type of "villains"

And obviously Room "inspired" the KT story somewhat. Given it's a recent and possibly most mainstream movie associated with the issue!

threetrees wrote: »
    We need Alannah back. Where is she? On leave? Convenient!

I enjoyed the last few episodes despite their failings. KT is really messed up in the head, helping Ciaran, blaming Emmet, then Stripey, probably Heather soon!

I quite enjoy the Heather scenes, you just don't know what she'll come out with next. Her role now must surely be to recover more since her "knowledge" of KT is out there now.

The detective, Katie could have been "kilt" by now 😂

I respect the actress for downing tools on this plot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It happens the other way around too. Coronation Street copied Fair City a couple of years after the Damien/Suzanne domestic abuse storyline with the male as the victim when they wrote the same storyline with Tyrone as the victim

I highly doubt that the writers of Corrie are that badly off for inspo that they're tuning into FC for ideas! Prob just a coincidence more than anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

For months people have wondered how would it all end ? Imagine if someone told you months ago that it would end with KT dragging a badly injured Ciaran around Dublin while wearing a bad 2euro shop wig:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

For all the pi$$ing and moaning about FC its got the most replies here...Corrie/Emmerdale can be just awful sometimes..

At least Katie has some nice pictures in her new cell....:)

coolhull...spain has tinternet too..enjoy......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

anna080 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the writers of Corrie are that badly off for inspo that they're tuning into FC for ideas! Prob just a coincidence more than anything

I highly doubt that writers of all soaps aren't researching ideas from soaps everywhere - Especially idea's from soaps that aren't broadcast in their own country where the vast majority of viewers wouldn't know it was lifted! They wouldn't even have to research it, the Damien/Suzanne story was a big mainstream talking point here at the time - Someone would only have to come across an Irish newspaper or website. I don't believe it was a coincidence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

coolhull...spain has tinternet too..enjoy......:p

Oh, I know that, Max . But I would be scared in case someone else from Ireland sneaked up from behind and caught me watching FC on my phone. On holiday!
    I would never be able to live with the shame of it.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Ciaran is saved by a pod of friendly Orcas who beach him on an uninhabited island in Dublin Bay.

He lives there on coconuts, in a cave, for weeks until a small boat washes up after a storm.

He proceeds to break up the boat and make a raft out of it (he never relinquished his grip on his shoulder bag which contains a full set of carpentry tools and accessories, various disguises, and other useful items).

He sails to the the east pier in Done Lairy and hides out in the lighthouse until nightfall.

He finds out where Carraigstown is currently located and heads there disguised as a rickshaw driver.

He puts on his invisibility cloak and wanders around until he hears a voice shouting ... "Bob loves the lesbians", and he bursts into a church where all the O'Briens, Farrah, Bob, Hughie, Tommy, the day shift from Store St Garda Station and various extras are celebrating his Months Mind Mass!

Fade to black ...

anna080 wrote: »

I highly doubt that writers of all soaps aren't researching ideas from soaps everywhere - Especially idea's from soaps that aren't broadcast in their own country where the vast majority of viewers wouldn't know it was lifted! They wouldn't even have to research it, the Damien/Suzanne story was a big mainstream talking point here at the time - Someone would only have to come across an Irish newspaper or website. I don't believe it was a coincidence anyway.

Male domestic abuse was a huge topic around that period. It was very much stigmatised until certain awareness groups and articles brought attention to the issue and it was discussed more openly.
    Obviously soaps take ideas from each other but such a story was inevitably going to emerge in an English soap to cover the area.
    Obviously the CS were well aware of FC covering the issue also but I wouldn't say it was idea taking and certainly not "copying"
    Both took very different approaches also. Suzanne was seen in many parts in a "sympathetic " light considering the longevity of the character and her being previously seen as a positive character.

Whilst Tyrone's missus was very much distant to viewers in terms of sympathy.
    The plots developed very differently.

If you want to go down the "copying" route re plots, you would be at it for longer than KT''s confinement!

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/news/a372472/coronation-street-is-copying-fair-city-says-maclean-burke/

This article with its reference to the soccer team always makes me laugh.
    McLean Burke once again showing what a ........ he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/news/a372472/coronation-street-is-copying-fair-city-says-maclean-burke/

This article with its reference to the soccer team always makes me laugh.
    McLean Burke once again showing what a ........ he is!

This is a guy who was bragging about how he and Tom Hanks were once in a movie together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

nagdefy wrote: »
    Billy Meehan and Terrence from his days 1996-97 and 2007-2008 were excellent. The time he held Lou hostage around 1997 was excellent. He did split persona, charming to maniac, really well.

Terence (Terry McMahon) below. With his semi yank accent.
    092_d0cd1b5eb047fd12b3146fae10d1d2bc3c84377c.jpg

Is that Ray Darcy's head?

RTE player barely fooking works in the RTE canteen, and you think it will work in Espana?..........:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Ciaran last seen with the wallabies on Lambay Island

2.jpg

All soaps copy each other. FC has had some excellent plots some executed poorly and others done quite well.

Richard Hillman?? I don't see the comparison? Two extremely different type of "villains"

And obviously Room "inspired" the KT story somewhat. Given it's a recent and possibly most mainstream movie associated with the issue!

Richard Hillman and Marty Halpin were different apart from them being very violent deranged guys but leading up to the finale but the end of both with drowning had to be linked.

Room certainly inspired the Katy/Ciaran story. Again though the motives were very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think I might drop out in a few weeks if there isn't a half decent replacement for the Katy story. It will be interesting for the time being to see the OBrien family implode and the consequences for Deegan etc and Farrah but after that, if its just going to be Ama and Jake talking crap outside Vinos ad nauseum I'm definitely out!

I think I might drop out in a few weeks if there isn't a half decent replacement for the Katy story. It will be interesting for the time being to see the OBrien family implode and the consequences for Deegan etc and Farrah but after that, if its just going to be Ama and Jake talking crap outside Vinos ad nauseum I'm definitely out!

Sadly this is what I fear the most too. There will be a period of 'Ama and Jake drivel' but then the series needs to settle into something better. It is all about new starts for Paul, Wayne, etc. and let's hope all are made to be more interesting. I think Cathal needs to be given a story to reach his full potential and he becoming a lifeblood for the likes of Paul and Wayne who sink deeper into illegal businesses would be one way to go. Cathal could introduce other even more shady and dangerous characters as well.

I'm still waiting for mad Lucy to come back for "the doll":)

It would be great to see Lucy back in it again. There may be a way of doing so. Rose implied she had a brother in Leitrim which may mean that is where she is native to. We know this brother is dead. Let's say Rose goes there and who does she meet only her brother's youngest daughter or grand-daughter or whatever, Lucy Mallon. The Lucy character was meant to be from Longford and could be implied that's where the family are from and have moved to say Mohill or Carrick on Shannon. Or else she is from Leitrim but said she is from Longford to those in Dublin. Lucy of course is very pleasant, normal and kind and is concerned for Rose who is showing signs of dementia more and more. Lucy boards a train and travels from Dromod or Longford town to Dublin and gets Eoghan's number and rings him to pick up herself and Rose at Connolly. To Lucy's horror, she is landed back in Fair City! And who happens to be walking around only Wayne and Dolores. From there, the seemingly 'changed' Lucy wins back her friends not to mention being a massive support for Katy who can identify with her more than anyone else but she is still mixed up beneath the surface, has had other life events and her relation Rose's condition is driving her over the edge into a deeper depression. From there, a series of stories could develop and Wayne could be drawn into her world and perhaps her into his world (let's say Wayne now works for Cathal, who also sees potential in the vulnerable Lucy).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did the actress who plays Katy want out of Fair City for so long? Does she not regard it as a privilege to be a member of the cast of RT?'s best known drama serial (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Why did the actress who plays Katy want out of Fair City for so long? Does she not regard it as a privilege to be a member of the cast of RT?'s best known drama serial (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic)?

Loads of characters who aren't missing stay out of fair city for much longer, Sean hasn't been seen since last September, John Deegan was once missing for about 3 years.

John Deegan was once missing for about 3 years.

Has LH been questioned on this?

What about Rocco? LH surely must know something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Looks like that poxy note KT wrote turns up on Sunday and Farrah gets blamed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement