Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Richard Hillman?? I don't see the comparison? Two extremely different type of "villains"

And obviously Room "inspired" the KT story somewhat. Given it's a recent and possibly most mainstream movie associated with the issue!

Richard Hillman and Marty Halpin were different apart from them being very violent deranged guys but leading up to the finale but the end of both with drowning had to be linked.

Room certainly inspired the Katy/Ciaran story. Again though the motives were very different.

Sorry but Marty Halpin and Richard Hillman were completely different! Just because they both happened to drown themselves means f all !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭threetrees

Strazdas wrote: »
    This is a guy who was bragging about how he and Tom Hanks were once in a movie together :D
    Yep, and on Late Late Show FC special he spoke about a joke someone played because you know, they are just one big happy family. He didn't say "car" he said "BMW" so we all know he has a BMW. Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,627 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sorry but Marty Halpin and Richard Hillman were completely different! Just because they both happened to drown themselves means f all !

Your correct!
    Marty and Richard were different!

The actor who plays Ciaran says
    He doesn't know if he's dead or alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't believe that....I'll go for the latter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,194 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why did the actress who plays Katy want out of Fair City for so long? Does she not regard it as a privilege to be a member of the cast of RT?'s best known drama serial (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic)?

Loads of characters who aren't missing stay out of fair city for much longer, Sean hasn't been seen since last September, John Deegan was once missing for about 3 years.
    Fair City has always had a conveyor belt of characters. Some story would run for months revolving around a few central characters. No sign of anyone else. Then when that story was done to death, you'd have the next batch in for their four month shift while they others disappeared from view.
    It's kinda happening now with The Plan's central actors.
    I mean, take the ole codgers as a good example.. We don't see Charlie and Bela for months on end.
    In Coronation Street, they always have to write a story line around female actors who go on maternity leave.. They should just do it Fair Citu style.. Walk into the back room in McCoys and emerge months later.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Well it is obvious they were different but it is also obvious that FC was copying Corrie too and clearly the ending of Halpin was inspired by the ending of Hillman. Both ends that involved both in one case trying to drown 'loved ones' and the other succeeding in killing a 'loved one' were too similar for one not to be inspired by the other. It does not matter how different the 2 characters were apart from being violent but the end of Halpin was inspired by the end of Hillman as they were of the same time. Of course, the Halpin story was also inspired by the popularity of the Billy Meehan story and domestic abuse stories in general were popular in soaps.

The key to this is to take something from another story in a soap or series or film and apply it to characters who are very different. Room and Katy/Ciaran the same. Of course in Room, the motive was a lot different and the Nick character was much more evil than Ciaran and very different. That said, the concept was taken from Room and adapted. Even the next part with Katy lashing out at her mother is a variant of Room and all!

Fair City has always had a conveyor belt of characters. Some story would run for months revolving around a few central characters. No sign of anyone else. Then when that story was done to death, you'd have the next batch in for their four month shift while they others disappeared from view.
    It's kinda happening now with The Plan's central actors.
    I mean, take the ole codgers as a good example.. We don't see Charlie and Bela for months on end.
    In Coronation Street, they always have to write a story line around female actors who go on maternity leave.. They should just do it Fair Citu style.. Walk into the back room in McCoys and emerge months later.

FC and most all soaps tend to operate like that. Certain characters are the focus of things for a while and then when their stories are resolved or partly resolved, the focus turns to another lot of characters. As well as this, some characters tend to be in it more often: Paul and Niamh are examples in FC.

Your correct!
    Marty and Richard were different!

2 totally different characters but the ending of Hillman was the inspiration for the ending of Halpin. Halpin's violence towards Tess was also inspired by the major and popular FC story of beforehand, where Billy Meehan was violent towards Carol. Soaps are always taking note of popular stories in their own and also popular stories in other soaps (or indeed films and series) and then they form a new story with elements from the older story and apply it to different type of character/situation/motive/etc.

A load of sh1te. Of course he knows. And he knows well the character is alive also because otherwise he could take up offers elsewhere. Trying to hype it up as some publicity stunt doesn't work with FC!

Then again, this story has been made up as it goes along. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

For months people have wondered how would it all end ? Imagine if someone told you months ago that it would end with KT dragging a badly injured Ciaran around Dublin while wearing a bad 2euro shop wig:rolleyes:

I know there were so many things wrong with the last few episodes that you wouldn't know where to start but every time KT propped Ciaran up, she used his wounded shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

There's going to be a some slagging after the Ray D'Arcy show tomorrow night, regardless of how it goes. I've canceled all me social engagements just to watch it, that's how dedicated I am, unlike Coolhul who just slips off on holiday.... Have a great holiday Coolhull, you won't miss much, when it comes to the summer months FC just don't have any interesting storylines, it will be all Ama, Jake, Damo etc all stuff no-one is going to be intersted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Was he watching Fair City when he said that? Because sometimes I feel like that when watching FC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I think he's saying that because he's dependent on FC for future roles, if he is killed off he'd have no problem saying so, unless he's under some sort of contract that forbids him from reveling his part, probably holding back his wages for 6 months or something like that. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

nagdefy wrote: »
    Billy Meehan and Terrence from his days 1996-97 and 2007-2008 were excellent. The time he held Lou hostage around 1997 was excellent. He did split persona, charming to maniac, really well.

Terence (Terry McMahon) below. With his semi yank accent.
    092_d0cd1b5eb047fd12b3146fae10d1d2bc3c84377c.jpg

That was before that stupid f**king Home & Away Aussie asshole got his hands on the program :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I've been wondering if that guy from H&A who is lead writer is gonna steal one of his own plots from H&A. Remember how Kane raped Danni and then Danni's sister fell in love with him?
    What's the bet Ciaran is going to come back in and Katie will be hiding him somewhere and fall in love with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The actors who play Ciaran and Katie are on Ray Darcy tonight, now they'll feel what it's really like to be held hostage !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Darcy thread usually starts around 9 n a Sat. Shoild be good tonight.

Edit: It's already started.
    Ray Darcy thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Promo.

"It’s the storyline that’s gripped Fair City fans across the nation, and tonight, actors Johnny Ward and Amilia Stewart lead the lineup for the final Ray D’Arcy show of the season."

It should really say; it's the storyline that p$ssed off fair city fans............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Terence was the best FC villain of all, way more menacing than Billy, Paddy or Collie!

• Advertisement

MAJOR spoiler related to below image (and it has nothing to do with Jenny Dixon's holidays at Heff's gaf

As
    Dermish and Ben return next week
    , secrets are exposed that threaten to change their relationship forever.

After years of
    telling Ben to go upstairs and read his comics,
    Dermish makes a discovery in Ben's room

il_340x270.1132839483_j2vj.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

coolhull wrote: »
    Strange that someone wouldn't have spotted her. Or maybe someone did, and said to themselves, "Ah Jaysis, I wonder who's your wan over there, drippin' water and blood all over the place ? I suppose I better see what's up with her, wha'? ...

Especially seeing as they have posters up of her all over the gaff, you'd swear she wasn't missing at all but running in a general election :eek: Saps!

coolhull wrote: »

**** By the way, if anyone is interested, I'm off to Spain for a few days on my holliers. I won't be back for about ten days, so I'm depending on you guys to post all new FC developments so I can keep up with the truly exciting, fascinating happenings in Carrigstown.

Your witty posts will be missed coolhull .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mother of Jaysus did ye see the pair of eejits on Darcy glorifying fair city? That wan Katie has one fairly annoying accent in real life, she needs to slow down a bit while talking and drop the false accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

MAJOR spoiler related to below image (and it has nothing to do with Jenny Dixon's holidays at Heff's gaf

As
    Dermish and Ben return next week
    , secrets are exposed that threaten to change their relationship forever.

After years of
    telling Ben to go upstairs and read his comics,
    Dermish makes a discovery in Ben's room

il_340x270.1132839483_j2vj.jpg

Would that be CarryAnne in the centrefold spread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Blues_Rock

I loved how they dodged around the whole 'social media and petitions', as well as the general condemnation of the storyline from pretty much everyone by putting it down to how people just wanted to rescue Katy, albeit just to put an end to the drawn out storyline

I suppose they're not going to criticise the writers on air.....whatever though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They are two of the most annoying people ever.

Blues_Rock wrote: »
    I loved how they dodged around the whole 'social media and petitions', as well as the general condemnation of the storyline from pretty much everyone by putting it down to how people just wanted to rescue Katy, albeit just to put an end to the drawn out storyline

I suppose they're not going to criticise the writers on air.....whatever though

I'm the petition guy. It was started to end the long and tedious story and it had nothing to do with freeing Katy. It was fairly obvious to be honest!
    I did hear about people contacting the actress that plays Katy online and she wasn't a bit pleased with it and a lot of it was only harmless fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Blues_Rock

I'm the petition guy. It was started to end the long and tedious story and it had nothing to do with freeing Katy. It was fairly obvious to be honest!
    I did hear about people contacting the actress that plays Katy online and she wasn't a bit pleased with it and a lot of it was only harmless fun!

Indeed, I think the vast majority of people, me and obviously yourself included, just got exhausted of the storyline and the "free Katy" petition, being a euphemism for "end the storyline already", was everyone's way of voicing our disdain, while being tongue-in-cheek all the same haha :P

Yeah I can imagine...it's funny, how what you'd hope to be, a small minority of people take it that seriously to be actually bothering the actor/s over it :P

I would have liked to have known what the actors thought themselves though, but can't say I'm surprised that they didn't mention the drawn-out nature of the storyline in the interview tonight with Ray :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

A go of rose lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The family should go on the Ray Darcy show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement