Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v7] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Did any other actor play 2 people in Fair City, 1989-2017 other than Alan Howley?

He played that chap with the glasses in 1989-90 who appears on the Christmas Day 1990 episode and of course Eoghan O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

nagdefy wrote: »
    Did any other actor play 2 people in Fair City, 1989-2017 other than Alan Howley?

He played that chap with the glasses in 1989-90 who appears on the Christmas Day 1990 episode and of course Eoghan O'Brien.

Old Dolly and Dr Hiya were played by the same person.

Posh Charlie and Northside Charlie are played by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

Why didn't Robbie get suspicious or worried when Wayne asked him about finding
    Dermot's receipt in the car?

Jo and Dermot were best friends, a very devoted married couple.
    adopted a son and fostered children together.
    DERMOT IS SERIOUSLY ILL AND BARELY SURVIVED
    AN EMERGENCY LIVER TRANSPLANT,
    the major issue of terminal cancer AND THIS IS WHAT
    FAIR CITY THINKS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOUR .....

Jo never visited him, didn't even send a Get Well card,

Not an ounce of humanity in her.

Heartless woman.

Jo and Dermot were best friends, a very devoted married couple.
    Jo couldn't care less about Dermot being at death's door.
    Despite the split, she should still care about him, he was her husband
    for years and they adopted Ben together.

She breaks off contact completely and couldn't care less.

Heartless woman.

Artless scriptwriters
    Craftless Script

• Advertisement

When Katy mentioned thoughts
    of suicide , it was the only time Ciaran looked concerned
    about her situation. It lasted for about five seconds and then he locked her up again.

It is incredible that Katy hasn't made an attempt
    at suicide.

A dog wouldn't survive that life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

muggles wrote: »
    So between them the Brennan's own:

The garage
    The Pod
    Investment in Carol's Cabs
    The salon
    Their own house
    Orla & Wayne's house
    Dan's flat
    Share in Gina's house

I'm nearly sure there have been another couple of apartment blocks or buildings mentioned too yet they've convinced Paul he needs to go around scrimping on 20 quid a day?? Still can't get my head around how we're meant to believe Niamh is going to do better off with 400k (?) in cash rather than half the assets in a divorce. This Plan is more complicated to follow than the Ansbacher accounts.

Don't they own Debbie's house as well? I'm sure I remember Paul threatening her with eviction a few weeks back.

With that amount of property and all the different businesses, Paul wouldn't even have a cash flow problem, money would be piling into his bank account every day of the week.

about her situation. It lasted for about five seconds and then he locked her up again.

at suicide.

I don't know the survival instinct in humans is remarkable. None of us know the strength in us if the situation arises.

Survivors of the holocaust death camps, soldiers who survived Japanese torture and forced marches in the heat of the jungle in Burma in WW2 all suffered a lot more than Katy. Even WWI trench soldiers who faced death going over the top and lived with rats on top of them as they slept and bodies of rotten comrades beside them put up with much more than KT. A lot of them lost their minds alright but most survived. Soldiers were found chest deep in mud at Passchendale in 1917 having lost their minds being stuck in the mud for over a week.

Also the likes of Brian Keenan was in captivity from 1986-1990 and came through. Some people react with suicidal thoughts and insanity in these extremely stressful cases while others would do anything to survive. Like the football team who crashed in the Andes (the film Alive recounts their story) some minds react so rationally and will calculate the amount of food needed per day to survive and eat their dead comrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

at suicide.

No, it's not. She has the fooking life of Reilly compared to some people's problems.

The human capacity to live and survive would astound you.

K T: Ah, me ch1ps are fooking cold. Where's the rope?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Strazdas wrote: »
    Don't they own Debbie's house as well? I'm sure I remember Paul threatening her with eviction a few weeks back.

With that amount of property and all the different businesses, Paul wouldn't even have a cash flow problem, money would be piling into his bank account every day of the week.

I think you're right. Do any of the characters live in Barry's old house - the one they were about to buy for the Speakeasy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

at suicide.

I don't know the survival instinct in humans is remarkable. None of us know the strength in us if the situation arises.

Survivors of the holocaust death camps, soldiers who survived Japanese torture and forced marches in the heat of the jungle in Burma in WW2 all suffered a lot more than Katy. Even WWI trench soldiers who faced death going over the top and lived with rats on top of them as they slept and bodies of rotten comrades beside them put up with much more than KT. A lot of them lost their minds alright but most survived. Soldiers were found chest deep in mud at Passchendale in 1917 having lost their minds being stuck in the mud for over a week.

Also the likes of Brian Keenan was in captivity from 1986-1990 and came through. Some people react with suicidal thoughts and insanity in these extremely stressful cases while others would do anything to survive. Like the football team who crashed in the Andes (the film Alive recounts their story) some minds react so rationally and will calculate the amount of food needed per day to survive and eattheir dead comrades!
    Brilliant infomative post. Also brings to mind the case in brixton 3 years ago. Shown on bbc2 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Strazdas wrote: »

Barry owns that house. Paul was in the process of buying it from him when he found out his money was gone. He owns the units too where Niamh's salon is. Remember the fire there when Tommy's brother nearly died? I think his solicitor mentioned them too.

I was reading about prisoners being kept in solitary confinement and are under
    suicide watch.

Thanks for info on people who do survive and overcome the most difficult, cruel experiences in life.

The power of the survival instinct of some people is amazing.

I was reading about prisoners being kept in solitary confinement and are under
    suicide watch.

Thanks for info on people who do survive and overcome the most difficult, cruel experiences in life.

The power of the survival instinct of some people is amazing.

I think Fair City viewers are proof of this.

muggles wrote: »
    So between them the Brennan's own:

The garage
    The Pod
    Investment in Carol's Cabs
    The salon
    Their own house
    Orla & Wayne's house
    Dan's flat
    Share in Gina's house

I'm nearly sure there have been another couple of apartment blocks or buildings mentioned too yet they've convinced Paul he needs to go around scrimping on 20 quid a day?? Still can't get my head around how we're meant to believe Niamh is going to do better off with 400k (?) in cash rather than half the assets in a divorce. This Plan is more complicated to follow than the Ansbacher accounts.

Dan flat is apart of a complex of 1 million euro flats Paul owns he was in one with Hayley at Christmas

So with all that losing 800,000 is nothing to him

As for Dermkt saying we'll go away the 3 of us poor Zoey being written out of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

at suicide.

I 100% agree with you, despite the vocal "Of course she would never commit suicide the human survival instinct is strong" camp on this thread. Look where she is- a TOILET! Barely enough room to stand up and she cant do any proper exercise, her only scenery is padding and walls and she doesn't speak to a human for days at a time. Maybe before she found out it was Ciaran she was in survival mode but now, its been MONTHS and nothing but false hope and solitary activities every few days before he visits for 10 seconds and off again, of course you would go absolutely insane under those conditions.

People have been known to cut themselves to cope with tension and stress, its surprising that KT hasn't started banging her head off the wall or just tearing the camera apart etc etc even to get Ciarans attention, it was stupid that lastnight he seemed genuinely surprised that her situation may lead to her harming herself. And if they don't end this story soon, the audience are going to self harm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I 100% agree with you, despite the vocal "Of course she would never commit suicide the human survival instinct is strong" camp on this thread. Look where she is- a TOILET! Barely enough room to stand up and she cant do any proper exercise, her only scenery is padding and walls and she doesn't speak to a human for days at a time. Maybe before she found out it was Ciaran she was in survival mode but now, its been MONTHS and nothing but false hope and solitary activities every few days before he visits for 10 seconds and off again, of course you would go absolutely insane under those conditions.

People have been known to cut themselves to cope with tension and stress, its surprising that KT hasn't started banging her head off the wall or just tearing the camera apart etc etc even to get Ciarans attention, it was stupid that lastnight he seemed genuinely surprised that her situation may lead to her harming herself. And if they don't end this story soon, the audience are going to self harm!!

One other problem I have with this storyline is that if it happened in real life, it would be front page headlines (and probably even internationally). I don't know how they are going to deal with this angle if Katy is released or escapes.

People do survive though, it's documented. Irish female republican prisoners survived hunger strikes of up to 50 days in 1922-23. Tom Clarke, 1916 signatory, spent 15 yrs in Pentonville prison and kept sane by counting bricks on the walls of his cell and doing maths. Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa had to sleep naked on the cold floor of his prison in England. He was manacled much of the time and had to eat his food like a dog on all fours. They had smaller cells than KT.

You could do plenty of exercise in that cell, like the Maze prisoners. Such as this one below :)

b26ba3e030b9cb5b3e50bceea10c9c5e.jpg

Also pressups, situps, planks, jogging on the spot the list goes on.

So i refute the suicide camp:D So saying 'of course you would go absolutely insane' is false. A generalisation. Some would go insane, not all.

^ I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though, those prisoners were fighting for a cause and had a deep conviction in their beliefs, enough so as they were willing to die for what they believe in. KT is a young girl who is used to nothing but her comforts of home, being able to come and go as she pleases, she didn't ask for any of it plus the reason for it is actually illogical because it should be Emmet in there not her. Combine this with weeks and months now of being alone with nothing but that generator hum for company and of course she is going to go insane. Just sitting back and being civil month after month is unrealistic.

^ I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though, those prisoners were fighting for a cause and had a deep conviction in their beliefs, enough so as they were willing to die for what they believe in. KT is a young girl who is used to nothing but her comforts of home, being able to come and go as she pleases, she didn't ask for any of it plus the reason for it is actually illogical because it should be Emmet in there not her. Combine this with weeks and months now of being alone with nothing but that generator hum for company and of course she is going to go insane. Just sitting back and being civil month after month is unrealistic.

We'll have to agree to disagree Wanderer. It all depends on how she uses her mind, if she can use it to maintain sanity or not. There's a line in Milton's Paradise Lost which sums up my thinking..

the-mind-is-its-own-place-and-in-itself-can-make-a-heaven-of-hell-a-hell-of-heaven-9.jpg

There were a lot of Jewish girls, younger than Katy, from privileged backgrounds who survived the holocaust by having to walk over and steal from dead family. And KT still has plenty of hope. She knows she's near home, Ciaran won't kill her and tried to let her go once. There's hope he'll plan her escape again. My dad had an old saying 'a drowning man will clutch a straw'.

• Advertisement

We'll have to agree to disagree Wanderer. It all depends on how she uses her mind, if she can use it to maintain sanity or not. There's a line in Milton's Paradise Lost which sums up my thinking..

the-mind-is-its-own-place-and-in-itself-can-make-a-heaven-of-hell-a-hell-of-heaven-9.jpg

There were a lot of Jewish girls, younger than Katy, from privileged backgrounds who survived the holocaust by having to walk over and steal from dead family. And KT still has plenty of hope. She knows she's near home, Ciaran won't kill her and tried to let her go once. There's hope he'll plan her escape again. My dad had an old saying 'a drowning man will clutch a straw'.

And KT has an old saying that gets her through the loneliest of times

"Are ya there" "I know you can here me"

This way she never feels alone

Well, on the point of Ciaran telling her he wont kill her, can you trust a guy who snatched you from the streets and kept you locked in a small room, not to mention going back on his word over and over again. If she trusts him, then that's proof she has gone insane. :eek:

Well, on the point of Ciaran telling her he wont kill her, can you trust a guy who snatched you from the streets and kept you locked in a small room, not to mention going back on his word over and over again. If she trusts him, then that's proof she has gone insane. :eek:

I know but he hasn't shown any signs of physically abusing Katy. Also if he was a killer he'd probably have gotten rid of her by now.

Not saying she'd trust him but it's a strong possibility he will try and release her again. Katy's cause isn't a 100% lost one.

I understand what you're saying Wanderer and i'm sure a large percentage of people would flip in KT's situation.

What i find incredible is her lack of attempting to escape. Especially when Ciaran was gone for the weekend. You could be clawing away behind that soft lagging and still cover it up so Ciaran wouldn't know what you were up to.

Wayne is making plans for his 80,000 grand - pennies from heaven.

I wonder how long that will last?

Wayne is making plans for his 80,000 grand - pennies from heaven.

I wonder how long that will last?

That's going to be a funny storyline:) He was gas last night, losing his mojo and saying when he spoke all the buyers smiled and women fell for him! He was like the old Wayne from 20 years ago.

I remember Jimmy Doyle carrying a drunk Wayne into his house and Wayne singing 'Take me up to Monto'! And another night on the pull telling Anne Clarke she was looking 'curvaceous':D He was a young lad and a messer but great fun.

When his sister Lorraine had broken up with Jimmy Doyle she took to her room playing music. One morning Wayne gets up bleary eyed saying 'Jesu i didn't get a wink of sleeping with that bleeding Whitney Heuston blaring all over the place!'. Wayne had become too serious.

His character was 100 times more entertaining than Paul Brennan and his inflated ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

love hate should at least give Katie a radio and maybe a TV. then she could keep her chin up watching the news and programmes like fair city . . .

love hate should at least give Katie a radio and maybe a TV. then she could keep her chin up watching the news and programmes like fair city . . .

Yeah I cant see the harm in a radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Pauls money was taken around last October so how is he only short of cash now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Just for the record I wouldn't mind 20 euro a day to flitter away on coffee and eating out etc !!!

• Advertisement

Pauls money was taken around last October so how is he only short of cash now ?

In the number of plot holes in The Plan, that right there is number 1 (and its a VERY long list!). Paul has a load of businesses and staff too, it wouldn't have been long after Niamh took the money last October before Paul was getting it in the ear from his staff or creditors about missing money and yet we are expected to believe that the very first time he knew something was up was when he was in the bank managers office with Niamh!

What about his crisp 50 euro notes for the pub 7 nights a week?? Is that in his wallet..

And it would be easy to say ah get a life its only a show stop analysing and yes, its not really important in the big picture but I have seen a lot of quality tv drama both Irish and other, the last few years so you get used to a certain level of quality or even basic research which makes it hard to watch FC and NOT pass comment..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement