Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Butt Problem

Options
  • 22-12-2016 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi guys well i got the water butt but there seems to be more water coming down the water pipe than in the Water Butt?
    do i need to seal it from the bottom pipe to the water Diverter, i had to lower it as water was not going through the water butt

im totally confused how water cant come come down the pipe ?

any help appreciated ?

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/round-down-pipe-diverter/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

torrevieja wrote: »
    Hi guys well i got the water butt but there seems to be more water coming down the water pipe than in the Water Butt?
    do i need to seal it from the bottom pipe to the water Diverter, i had to lower it as water was not going through the water butt

any help appreciated ?

Have you got a partner or Husband, ask them to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Have you got a partner or Husband, ask them to do it for you.

No I haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

A picture of the overall setup would help- it might just need a tweak to the level of the diverter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

baaba maal wrote: »
    A picture of the overall setup would help- it might just need a tweak to the level of the diverter.....

Sounds like you may have fitted the diverter too low. Can you post a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yeah i think it might be too low or the diverter isn't fitted square with the downpipe but it's probably more the height. A picture would really help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

any help appreciated ?

Here's my set up. Not great photo but shows the level to put the diverter at. If its below the bottom red line it won't fill the butt. If too high up, it will fill the water butt but overflow out the top of the water butt instead of down the downpipe.

water%20butt_zpsexulbwum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Nice where did you get the adapter for the hose?

When I did it first there was an issue with the width of the down piping mine was 60mm most are 65or 68mm

so i got a diverter that i could cut the top out to fit the bottom

I just pushed up but was not a snug fit been smaller so i got a 68 mm downpipe for that bottom part and new bracket pushed it up as far as i could the photo i show you first is the way it was :

IMG_20161222_100156_zpswimesv5x.jpg

IMG_20161222_100021%201_zpsk8j8msrw.jpg

and this the way i have it now with the new pipe the water is coming in the butt not gushing in but its coming in and there is a small flow going down the downpipe with this water butt u just push the pipe up its like a universal one

IMG_0547_zpsxwlo5pgk.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsm2n3avxf.jpg

does the last photo look right

Still city mong down pipe I'd say 50/50 now water butt

there was an issue with the width of the down piping mine was 60mm most are 65or 68mm

so i got a diverter that i could cut the top out to fit the bottom

I just pushed up but was not a snug fit been smaller so i got a 68 mm downpipe for that bottom part and new bracket pushed it up as far as i could the photo i show you first is the way it was :

IMG_20161222_100156_zpswimesv5x.jpg

IMG_20161222_100021%201_zpsk8j8msrw.jpg

and this the way i have it now with the new pipe the water is coming in the butt not gushing in but its coming in and there is a small flow going down the downpipe with this water butt u just push the pipe up its like a universal one

IMG_0547_zpsxwlo5pgk.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsm2n3avxf.jpg[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does it fill up at all?? even after a few days of rain??

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    does it fill up at all?? even after a few days of rain??

It does but think more in the bucket 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think the white diverter unit looks like it is not a snug fit on top of the new (lower) section of pipe. If it was snug, the white unit would sit level and not be wobbling around. You could try squirting some silicone mastic in between the two. On a dry day, squirt it up into the gap from the outside, and rub it in with your finger.

far it will go

its like a universal one has two rings on inside for different size

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Just a general point, you will need to clear out the diverter unit regularly as sediment etc that come down off gutter/roof will collect in vital bits and block flow to barrel. So dont jam up with silicone sealant...

Go out when its raining and see where the water is coming out. It could also be leaking at the point where the flexible pipe joins the diverter.

recedite wrote: »
    Go out when its raining and see where the water is coming out. It could also be leaking at the point where the flexible pipe joins the diverter.

no its not leaking at the point where the flexible pipe joins the diverter, the water butt is filling up what im just saying is there is a certain amount still going down the downpipe

no its not leaking at the point where the flexible pipe joins the diverter, the water butt is filling up what im just saying is there is a certain amount still going down the downpipe
    If you mean down the inside of the downpipe, that's OK.

recedite wrote: »
    If you mean down the inside of the downpipe, that's OK.

ok but i thought that there should be no water coming down the downpipe just going into the water butt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

well the pipe from diverted to water butt is much smaller Than your downpipe so in heavy rain I'd assume that the pipe to the butt would only be able to take a portion of the flow meaning alot of water still doing down the downpipe

mickdw wrote: »
    well the pipe from diverted to water butt is much smaller Than your downpipe so in heavy rain I'd assume that the pipe to the butt would only be able to take a portion of the flow meaning alot of water still doing down the downpipe
    Yep, that's how it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement