Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown person signed for voucher sent to me by registered mail

Options
  • 22-12-2016 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I ordered a voucher from a company last week as I was feeling unwell and not up to going out to get it. Postage on the voucher was rather high and I found that this was because it was sent by registered mail. They gave me an An Post tracking order for it that shows it was delivered yesterday at 6pm but neither I nor the management company in my building has received it, meaning a stranger has signed for it. Is there anything I can do here to get a refund? My signature won't be the one the postman received but can I request that they show me the signature to show it wasn't me who signed for it? Surely the whole registered mail system is flawed if a person the mail is not intended for can sign for it? Not only am I down money but I now have to go out and physically buy the voucher which I was trying to avoid. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Via the tracking system you should be able to request the signature of the person who signed for it. They will send you a PDF of it

enter the number on the tracking site and see what it says. There is an option to request the signature somewhere on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Surely the company issuing the voucher has a log of them? Can you ask them to cancel that one as it's been stolen and re-issue a new one, that you can collect. You should contact them straight away and cancel it, before they have a chance to spend it.

It would be great for the little sleeveen to head off to spend their gift voucher to get a nice bill at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Via the tracking system you should be able to request the signature of the person who signed for it. They will send you a PDF of it

enter the number on the tracking site and see what it says. There is an option to request the signature somewhere on it.

I've tracked it on the site, as that's where it shows that it was delivered but I don't see where to request the signature.
    Melendez wrote: »

I've emailed them but I'm afraid they'll pass responsibility onto the agent. I just want a refund really (including the extortionate postage!) and for them to void the voucher. I'll drag myself in to get the voucher myself if they do this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Did you get a little an post card in your letterbox? It's most probably at the local DSU waiting for you to go and collect it. They sign for it there and you go and collect it within 5 working days for domestic packages.

• Advertisement

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I've tracked it on the site, as that's where it shows that it was delivered but I don't see where to request the signature.

I've emailed them but I'm afraid they'll pass responsibility onto the agent. I just want a refund really (including the extortionate postage!) and for them to void the voucher. I'll drag myself in to get the voucher myself if they do this for me.

When you track the item you should see a button Request Delivery Record under the record returned.

check the box and click this.

This is what I see for the last item we had to sign for.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Did you get a little an post card in your letterbox? It's most probably at the local DSU waiting for you to go and collect it. They sign for it there and you go and collect it within 5 working days for domestic packages.

No delivery notice received, no. And, I'm sorry, but I paid over €6 for delivery, it should be delivered to my door for that. I live quite far from my delivery office and the whole point of me ordering online was because I wasn't up to go out and buying it. Also, it's a voucher, not a bulky item. I was in my apartment all day too.

When you track the item you should see a button Request Delivery Record under the record returned.

I've clicked into the delivery record and can't see that option anywhere. Maybe they are telling porkies and it wasn't sent by registered mail at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Reg post is insured for €320, it protects both parties. I'm sure An Post would like to get to the bottom of this too, rather than having to cover the value.
    If the company didn't send by Reg. Post, they would be rather foolish

The Mulk wrote: »
    Reg post is insured for €320, it protects both parties. I'm sure An Post would like to get to the bottom of this too, rather than having to cover the value.
    If the company didn't send by Reg. Post, they would be rather foolish

Oh my, going by goldenhoarde's attached photo there, the company did NOT send it by registered mail despite telling me they did. There is no option to request a delivery record on my item. I actually have it in writing that they sent it by registered post AND I was charged for the cost of registered post. Cheeky feckers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 lowkeys

Call an post with the tracking number and you will know for sure straight away. I had to do this a few weeks ago and they were very helpful. The contact number is on their website.

I've clicked into the delivery record and can't see that option anywhere. Maybe they are telling porkies and it wasn't sent by registered mail at all!

Quite Possible that's the case, get back on to the shop and get them to sort it as they said it was registered there should be a signature

Quite Possible that's the case, get back on to the shop and get them to sort it as they said it was registered there should be a signature

Definitely! I'm going to ring An Post first to check for sure. If it was not sent registered, that is really shoddy. I was charged for it and told in an email that it was sent registered. I'll let you all know how it I got on and I might name and shame. It's a large Irish retailer. ;)

Really? Hmmm. Well then somebody signed for it who shouldn't have!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Really? Hmmm. Well then somebody signed for it who shouldn't have!
    Anyone in attendance at the delivery address can sign. There's no rule that the package has to be signed for by the individual addressee.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tracking numbers are issued for non-registered items. Items can be tracked but not registered.

Signatures are always available for email delivery for actually registered items - I have never *not* been able to get one. And I'm quite fond of using registered letters to get a point across to a company.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Anyone in attendance at the delivery address can sign. There's no rule that the package has to be signed for by the individual addressee.

Well, at 6pm yesterday when it was supposedly delivered, I was the only person present. I'm sure there is a rule about someone signing for it at another residence. ;) Plus, the only other resident is my OH so it would quite unusual for me to not know it was delivered seeing as I saw him all yesterday after he got back from work and this morning. :D

An Post got back to me. The item was sent back to the Dublin 15 mail centre, the delivery confirmation was a misscan. Apparently the address on the item was incomplete. :confused: I know I entered my full address when ordering it, I've just checked my email and the address is right. It's going to be sent back. I have no idea what to do now. I don't think I can ask for a refund in this case, can I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The retailer has made a mistake if this is the case. They haven't been able to get the item to you by their error - I would be asking for a refund if it was something you wanted in time for Christmas.

L1011 wrote: »
    The retailer has made a mistake if this is the case. They haven't been able to get the item to you by their error - I would be asking for a refund if it was something you wanted in time for Christmas.

Yep, I've asked for it. I'll see what they say. They sent me the delivery notice in their email to me to show it had been delivered. But, it hadn't, at least not to me. I've told them what An Post told me and told them that they can confirm this with An Post themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Yep, I've asked for it. I'll see what they say. They sent me the delivery notice in their email to me to show it had been delivered. But, it hadn't, at least not to me. I've told them what An Post told me and told them that they can confirm this with An Post themselves.

The signature is either the person handling the post in the depot or a person in Dunnes who receives incoming post. i.e the returned envelope.
    It happens in our place a lot if the address is incorrect or there's no-one home. Sounds like a mistake on Dunnes part with your address.

What a cock up on their part. If you are charging that much for delivery, you'd want to be damn sure it's a slick operation. And it wasn't like I went for the more expensive delivery option, the expensive option was the only choice. I ordered a lot of things for delivery last week, all the rest just charged standard delivery prices. In fact, EASON charged nothing at all for delivery. They ALL arrived promptly.

Full refund (inc. delivery) and an apology. Ding ding ding! I am very pleased with how they dealt with it and so shall be buying a voucher in-store from them this afternoon.

They are also going to try and figure out what went wrong with the delivery. So my complaining will hopefully benefit future customers! :)

Oh and of course, thank you everyone for your advice!

Advertisement