Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed Postion

Options
  • 22-12-2016 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Just want see what do people think i should do
    I want to build a shed that is approx 10foot high. There is a 9foot high wall around my garden. The back wall of the garden is west. 
    Do i put the garden on the left or right side. I was thinking the left side so that i could build a pation on the right side and get full sunshine but i see a few of the neighbours have it on the right. I included a very basic drawing of what i mean
    404479.pngthanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

tippgod wrote: »
    Just want see what do people think i should do
    I want to build a shed that is approx 10foot high. There is a 9foot high wall around my garden. The back wall of the garden is west. 
    Do i put the garden on the left or right side. I was thinking the left side so that i could build a pation on the right side and get full sunshine but i see a few of the neighbours have it on the right. I included a very basic drawing of what i mean
    404479.pngthanks in advance for the help

The right hand wall, in North, so no shadow will be on the garden from the shed, as it will get no sunlight

The Left is south, so most sunlight here and maximum shadow in the garden
    Evening sun from the west.

With existing walls at 9' and the shed at 10' I would watch where the sunniest part of the garden is during the day, and put the shed on the right, so no shadow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Yes, thank you for the reply. that was a friends point of view but my thinking was that the wall on the right gets the most sun so would that not be the best place to sit and also grow stuff. The wall on the left is dark at midday but more concerned about afternoon / evening sun

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One extra foot of height from the shed isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to the available sun except possibly in winter. I would put it in the gloomiest corner, ie the south west. Your patio should go near the house to get the south and west sun and your veg further along that north (south facing) wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

martinn123 wrote: »
    The right hand wall, in North, so no shadow will be on the garden from the shed, as it will get no sunlight

That wall will get most of the sun! It is on the north side of the garden so if you stand with your back against it you will be "South Facing"!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    That wall will get most of the sun! It is on the north side of the garden so if you stand with your back against it you will be "South Facing"!

Its the way you tell 'em as the late great Tommy Cooper might say.
    M123 means that it will cast no shadow across the garden it being higher than the existing wall

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will put it in the South west corner of the garden (Position X)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

tippgod wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I will put it in the South west corner of the garden (Position X)

Ah go on and do it at X & Yand let us know how it panned out LOL:D

Do you need planning/services?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement