Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cash a sterling cheque for sterling? BoI customer with funds to cover cheque.

Options
  • 22-12-2016 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I've been sent a sterling check for Christmas from relatives in the UK. I'm back in the UK fairly soon so it would be simpler to get the UK pounds rather than cash it for euros and then buy pounds again.

I've a normal euro current account so is there direct way of getting the cheque cashed in pounds without going through two currency exchanges (pounds to euro then euro back to pounds)?

I doubt there it can be done but if you don't ask you don't know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi my3cents, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

I'm afraid it is not possible to cash a foreign currency cheque on an ROI account. It would need to be lodged to your account and would then be subject to the standard foreign cheque clearance time frame of up to 6 weeks. However, as you've mentioned that you are travelling to the UK soon, it might be worth contacting the issuing bank there to see if they will cash this cheque for you. 

Sorry that this is not the outcome you'd hope. 

Elaine 

Advertisement