Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the guardians top 50 podcasts of 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Alot of podcasts that were new to me on this list. I think This American Life is missing, also Serial the 2nd Season. But I can see myself referring back to this over the next few weeks to sample some to the recommended ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    Alot of podcasts that were new to me on this list. I think This American Life is missing, also Serial the 2nd Season. But I can see myself referring back to this over the next few weeks to sample some to the recommended ones.

I think This American Life is such an established one at this stage that people shy away from listing it as it's an obvious choice. (Having said that I find myself listening to RadioLab and ReplyAll more than This American Life these days).

Serial 2nd season just didn't pique my interest at all. Nowhere near as compelling as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

I'd have to agree on Radio lab being stronger. I subscribed to both at the same time and sometimes get them confused. I also get what you mean about Serial. But this season was like the difficult second album and I think it successfully hit some high notes with the new story. I would be looking forward to what they might be doing next. More Perfect was really strong addition this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

I'd have to agree on Radio lab being stronger. I subscribed to both at the same time and sometimes get them confused. I also get what you mean about Serial. But this season was like the difficult second album and I think it successfully hit some high notes with the new story. I would be looking forward to what they might be doing next. More Perfect was really strong addition this year.

Been meaning to check out More Perfect. I tend towards comedy podcasts myself so only listen to a few 'straight' ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks, good share.

Maybe we pick one of them to give it a good and reseurect the podcast club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I also started listening to TAL and Radiolab around the same time, bout 3 years ago, but while I stuck with TAL I gave up on Radiolab about a year ago.

The schtick of Jad and Robert really started to grate on me, especially when they do that fake surprise thing when one of them reveals something interesting about whatever they're talking about. As if they both didn't know it beforehand!

That and every episode starting the same way. Some guest introducing himself and being talked over while on of them starts talking over him and summarising what he's saying in the background. I also found some of the more recent episodes very boring.

I gave up in Serial S.2 after about 5 episodes. I just didn't really care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

WTF With Marc Maron, really, still?

It's always just how he can relate directly to the interviewee and share troubled stories. His piece with Brice Springsteen recently was incredibly dull. He's just not that good an interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BackforFPL wrote: »
    Been meaning to check out More Perfect. I tend towards comedy podcasts myself so only listen to a few 'straight' ones.
    I really liked More Perfect, can't wait to get more of them.
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    WTF With Marc Maron, really, still?

It's always just how he can relate directly to the interviewee and share troubled stories. His piece with Brice Springsteen recently was incredibly dull. He's just not that good an interviewer.
    I subscribed to Marc Maron a while ago and unsubscribed after 3 or 4 episodes. I just don't like the guy, don't like his line of questioning, don't like anything about the show.

Advertisement