Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new favourite amp pumps out a massive 3 watts and runs on AA batteries!

Options
  • 22-12-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/fly-3

Now, that said, I won't be using it live. But for a little yoke that sits on my desk and can be plugged and playing in seconds it's astounding. Added benefit: it has an aux input and makes a brilliant PC speaker. Bypasses the EQ. Just power amp and speaker. Like really brilliant. I have the extension cabinet and power supply on the way. The cab will bring it up to a whopping 6W! In stereo!

This came out of a chat I had a few days ago with Steve in X music. I was looking around, and commenting on the amount of pointless tat that's available for young fellas to waste cash on that really should be saved up for something worth having. I pointed out the the BS Fly as a prime example. Another mini toy ornament. Looks kinda cool, but sounds shyte. I have one of the little Marshall yokes. Sits on my dest looking all metal, but never used. Because it's unusable. Utterly. Well, he grabbed a guitar off the shelf, plugged in, and three chords later I saw the truth (see what I did there...?). Asked his best price and walked out with a box the size of a lunchbox.

Seriously. It's shocking how good the sound is from this thing. And there's nothing to 'set up'. Just plug in and go. Great for teaching. Just chuck it in the bag and you're off. If you're looking for a stocking filler, or just deserve a treat for yourself, this is it. Get one! Even has a perfectly acceptable delay built in.

Disclaimer: no affiliations with either shop or amp company. Just seriously impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I've only heard good things about this amp. Might have to check them out in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

noby wrote: »
    I've only heard good things about this amp. Might have to check them out in the new year.

Bring cash. You'll be leaving with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Bought one there a few weeks ago for my brother for xmas. He loves it!

I'm half tempted to get one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Dord wrote: »
    Bought one there a few weeks ago for my brother for xmas. He loves it!

I'm half tempted to get one myself.

Where did you get it from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Xmusic at the red cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Pignose was a great wee amp too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

They also do a version with an extra 3 watt cab and a power supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

They're a good little amp, got one myself.

Well made and that delay makes all the difference, really fills out the sound and you generally don't get it on amps of this size.

The aux in is handy, but the ISF thing is a gimmick IMO, like a reverse tone control and not enough gain.

I've the Blackstar, an ancient Marshall MS2R and a Chinese 5w (!!) knock off of a Marshall MS2 that was €19 delivered.

I always find myself going back to the MS2R, but then again I'd always use it with a Pocket Pod.

cena wrote: »
    Where did you get it from

Got mine from Andertons in the UK.

That was about a year ago and including conversion and delivery it was cheaper than what I could buy it here.

£49 there at the moment. Without the extension speaker.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FLY3/combo-amps/blackstar-fly-3-mini-amp

£79.99 with extra speaker and p supply.

• Advertisement

I always find myself going back to the MS2R, but then again I'd always use it with a Pocket Pod.

Pignose and Pocket Pod. Can't beat it. Though the Blackstar is cheaper.

Pignose and Pocket Pod. Can't beat it. Though the Blackstar is cheaper.

Apparently the new, "correct" way to use anything like a Pod is to plug it into an active monitor such as something like this kind of thing rather than a guitar amp at all!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B017TIA1RC/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1482785699&sr=8-19-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=active+monitor+speaker+single+PA&psc=1

Supposedly they more faithfully reproduce what comes out of a modeller without "re-guitar-amping" what the modeller is putting out/ less coloration of the tone.

Seems to make sense

Sorry, gone wayyy off topic now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm looking for exactly this kind of amp, will have to try one out.

Apparently the new, "correct" way to use anything like a Pod is to plug it into an active monitor such as something like this kind of thing rather than a guitar amp at all!

You can turn off the speaker sims on the Pocket Pod to best suit the front end of an amp. Never bothered to do so myself, apart from once when I had to go direct to PA...

You can turn off the speaker sims on the Pocket Pod to best suit the front end of an amp. Never bothered to do so myself, apart from once when I had to go direct to PA...

I've never used it live.

Did it sound good through the PA?

Waiting on delivery of a Zoom G3x at the moment. Patiently :rolleyes:

It was only in a rehearsal studio when my amp was acting up. Sounded OK. I just chose a clean amp setting and put my board through it. Nothing to write home about, but a handy backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've never used it live.

Waiting on delivery of a Zoom G3x at the moment. Patiently :rolleyes:

I've used a pod xt live from time to time. Sounds great, but monitoring is an issue if there's no monitoring system! If you're used to hearing an amp behind you it can be odd getting used to balancing yourself from the FOH speakers.

Advertisement